Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

yesterday i just about managed to drag myself around 8 laps of the track at the watershed while junior was at karate - but did some core stuff at home after. I've been doing core workouts twice a week and i'd like to think they are having a positive effect.

Today was my final LSR, i went straight into town after work and left a water and a gel for me in the car. I wasn't sure how to approach the workout - i didn't want to kill myself only 11 days from the marathon. But i wanted it to be a positive run.

So i decided to just run for 2 and a half hours at an easy pace and bring it to a steady pace towards the end if i felt like it. I set the garmin to show the time of day and turned off the alerts. I warmed up with 8 laps of the track, before heading out onto the roads. i did a lap of kilkenny (about 9 miles) and stopped at the car to pick up the gel and water - i took some of the gel and all the water and carried on for a second lap. After about another mile or two i felt myself quickening a little and carried on pretty much like that to the finish.

I turned the watch on just 400m short of the car and i was at 19:37 miles - so i carried on a bit past to bring it to 20 - stretching the legs out over the last bit.

When i checked the watch is was 20 miles in 2:30:26 which is 7:31 pace and average HR of 138. The pace per mile over the run went from 8:05 to 6:50. As ever after these runs i felt i little "shook" for a moment or two - but all in all - it was a great way to finish the training. i am officially in taper.

Spinach, chickpea and chorizo stew....the food of the gods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great run. To be doing that at this time of year with the weather we are having is commendable. Enjoy the taper.

Great run. To be doing that at this time of year with the weather we are having is commendable. Enjoy the taper.

cheers man, nothing like an incoming marathon to get you out the door :) December could be a different story....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Asiminov, looks like you are flying, well done on the podium finish in the xc. On reflection delaying the marathon looks to have been a masterstroke. If you bag your sub 3 would you consider shorter distances? Things have been going ok for me, ticking over, hoping to do my first cross country race at the weekend, i got spikes and took them for a test run on monday, great crack running through muck and puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Another good run Asiminov,you will have a right go at it....best of luck...and dont do what i did !

• Advertisement

wizwill wrote: »
    Asiminov, looks like you are flying, well done on the podium finish in the xc. On reflection delaying the marathon looks to have been a masterstroke. If you bag your sub 3 would you consider shorter distances? Things have been going ok for me, ticking over, hoping to do my first cross country race at the weekend, i got spikes and took them for a test run on monday, great crack running through muck and puddles.

Thanks wizwill, if it works out it will be a master stroke of luck. Yeah - i am definitely going to spend a bit of next year working to a 10k programme. I'll do the connemara ultra or full in april and then switch over. I was dreading the xcountry, nearly cried off on the saturday but once it got going it was good. I started slowly, but it would be hellish, i'm sure, if you started too quick and had to hold on for 4K or something - but there is a certain novelty about the muck and general terrain.
    Sosa wrote: »
    Another good run Asiminov,you will have a right go at it....best of luck...and dont do what i did !

thanks sosa, i'm aiming to make all my own mistakes! you're dead right though i'll give it a right go.

8.5miles at 7:44 pace after work around the ring road. Not up there in my top ten runs of all time. Just about to pick up an indian (takeaway) though and hit the couch.

asimonov wrote: »
    8.5miles at 7:44 pace after work around the ring road. Not up there in my top ten runs of all time. Just about to pick up an indian (takeaway) though and hit the couch.

Its all about the priorities and goal setting :D

Its all about the priorities and goal setting :D

A truer word was never spoke :D. And on the topic of priorities, i got up early and hit the barbers for my marathon haircut this morning, i'm pretty sure i felt a smidgen of an increase in my threshold pace afterwards.

oh, after that i slogged through a heavy legged 5.5 miles .

(
    this has taken ages to write as the two year old has disappeared with the VGTY & 6 keys).

In complete contrast to yesterday, today's run felt good and the legs were in PMO.

I wanted to get a couple of planned marathon pace miles in without putting myself under too much strain. I thought I'd do 10 miles with three sets of 2 miles in the middle. I jogged up to the soon to be motorway and did a mile down and back as set one, but the wind was so strong that the first mile was too easy and the one back into the headwind was closer to LT effort. I decided to finish the run on back roads and just did 5 straight miles at around 6:44 - 6:53. A one mile jog back to the house finished off the run. Spent the afternoon gleaning marathon info from Izoard whilst 7 kids under 7 ran amok - all in all - a good day.

• Advertisement

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 4 miles easy with 6 set of 100m strides at the end..and as i am part of the treadmill revolution - it was in the pi$$ing rain.

Weather forecast for Sunday is looking increasingly like drizzle / light rain - so whilst not ideal weekend away weather - it shouldn't be too bad for running as long as i can stay dry before the off.

The plan for the rest of the week is just easy two 40' runs on tomorrow and thursday, and then maybe a couple of two milers on friday and saturday.

Currently stuffing my gob with pasta with chili, rocket and spring onion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

asimonov getting in here early to wish you the best on Sunday. Have a strong run and most of all enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck on Sunday...

You are in super shape, so go smash it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Best of luck asimonov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of Luck,Asiminov....i look forward to reading your report.
    I really hope you do the business...

Thanks abhainn /mcos/izoard/ sosa for the best wishes, means a lot. My training hasn't been ideal, but if i can take some inspiration from your own performances this year and give it my best shot- sure who know's what could happen. :)

Either way, i'll do my best to remember the gory details for the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Best of luck at the weekend.

Best of luck Asimonov. Hope it all works out to plan. I believe Florence is a pretty nice spot, so have a good weekend to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best asimonov, def looking forward to reading this report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

All the best on Sunday dude - "embrace the pain" as our good friend Matthew would say ;) ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Best of luck asimonov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck....looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Best of luck!

Thanks lads.

7 miles yesterday, 4 miles tonight in Dublin. Fly out tomorrow at 7, which calls for a shocker of a get out of bed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Asimonov. Remember - smile and enjoy your run, and your heart-rate will stay a few octaves lower.. and you'll have a better time..

Enjoy the race, and the well-earned rest afterwards. Talk to you on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Have a good one Asiminov you deserve it after all the hard wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck asimonov
    Looking forward to your report and hope the weather holds up

Thanks lads for well wishes...finished in 2:58:58 on my watch. Just about to tuck into a beer :-) :-) :-)

My OH said she saw bazman and he was flying at the 30k mark. I'll post a proper report later. Slainte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

congrats and fair fcuks to you!

Advertisement