Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done on a great first Marathon and nice report to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

MCOS wrote: »
    Well done on a great first Marathon and nice report to boot!
    great report and congratulations on such a good result in your first marathon.

lol, I have my priorities the wrong way around, thanked the report first and then the result, MCOS has it in a better prioritisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

asimonov wrote: »
    My first marathon; chip time 3:22.02, finished in 38th position. What a day!

As i was staying in Louisburg with my wife and youngest (our other two having been farmed out for the weekend with their grandparents) i got dropped at the start by my sister, this meant we got to drive from Leenane to Lough Inagh.

The first half looked much much more benign than the second and i was pretty sure i was going to have to get time in the bag on the first half to compensate for the second. I arrived at the start at 9:45 and by the time the ultras had gone through the wind had really picked up. I had met up with a Izoard, a proven marathoner, who was putting his 6 week, anti-taper, marathon training plan (successfully) to the test. It was great to have someone to chat with at the start and after a couple of cheers for various participants we were off. My target was to complete the distance, and do it under 3:30 ..to do this i knew i had to beat 8min miles.

Miles 1 - 6.0
    The first six miles were against the wind; we had a nice and handy first mile (8:12), and then injected some pace to catch up with a mixed group of french ( tricolor hair is the giveaway) and irish runners. The next miles passed by easy, 7:40, 7:49 & 8:00. All very relaxed and sociable. Mile 5 was slightly up hill hence a 8:10 split but compensated with a 7:33 downhill to the second water station. I took water on board and threw my sweatshirt away.

Miles 7 - 13.
    Once we turned the corner and started up the hill the wind died instantly. I picked up the effort and went through mile seven in 7:51, and continuing uphill (7:21) for mile 8 . We passed the bus with the smashed windscreen that (i think) had gone into the back of another bus when empty. At this stage i started to pass other runners going through 9 (7:35) and 10 (7:13). It was the same process each time, catch the group ahead a few friendly words and move on. At mile 10 i took my first powerbar gel. i was running alongside a guy from Dublin also on a 3:30ish pace (he had done 3:32 at the DCM) and we dropped into Leenane together - but again i drifted ahead.

A passed through Leenane in 1:40; and there was great support there that give me a real lift, i as ready to tackle the first hill. Thanks to Krusty_Clown i was expecting the hill out of Leenane to be like grafton street - when i got there it was more like 28 days later....not a sinner in sight - only other full marathoners ahead. A total stroke of luck...they had all passed and would be starting to spread out by the time i started moving through them.

Miles 14 - 16
    At this stage i was feeling good. My plan had been to be leave Leenane feeling fresh and ready to run a half marathon - and i felt positive and lively. Mile 14 (7:33) & Mile 15 (7:53) passed quickly, i had taken my second of 4 gels at this point and i was running with two other marathoners. We were driving each other on through the crowds as mile 16 came in at 6:59 (which was way too fast!) and we all put the brakes on. They must have drifted back as again i was running on my own, moving as quickly as possible through the crowds - often requiring some fancy footwork to avoid tripping or being tripped.

Miles 17-22
    At mile 17 (7:14) i met my wife (doing the half), a welcome sight for sore eyes, we just had time for a bit of chat, a quick peck on the cheek for good luck and i was off again. This is where it all starts to get a little hazy at this stage as fatigue started to build. I know I had a toilet break at the school or church on the right hand side and around mile 19 a youngish ultra passed lookin' cool as a cucumber dressed in white with white sunglasses - "go on ultra!".

I was starting to feel my stomach go "off" from the gels during this phase and i was finding the water stations very far apart. Mile 18 (7:22), 19 (7:46), 20 (7:29), 21 (7:28) and 22 (7:43) all passed in this haze - running on auto-pilot.

Miles 23 - 24
    I took some jelly babies and high 5 drink at the base of the HOTW and straight away I went for my third gel, in the process of getting this gel my final gel dropped to the ground and i didn't stop to pick it up. I hit the hill and started to struggle immediately. I had done lots of hill training but nothing prepared me for the feeling of helplessness as i saw the ribbon of runners ahead of me stretch into infinity (and beyond!). I knew what i had to do, put my head down, stick to the right where there was space and keep on lifting my feet..i passed the matching blue army crew at this stage, and a couple of other marathoners. About 3/4's of the way up the hill, the elevation lessened and I got a surge of pace, i passed the waterstation (two please!)...the hill was over i was nearly at the finish - hurray!!!. I drank one water and poured the rest over me, elated that mile 23 (8:23) and mile 24 (8:42) were over! The joy of being at the top of the hill soon passed, i could just see the finish area but it looked as if it was in galway city. I ran as fast as i could down hill and as i hit the bottom of the hill every bit of my energy drained away.

Miles 25-26.2
    I had run mile 25 at 7:06 and there was only 1.2 miles left...i think i knew sub 3:30 was ok, but my brain couldn't really function well - so the maths were always in doubt. I was stuck in one gear, i couldn't stop (for fear of not being able to start), i couldn't slow down, and i couldn't speed up - all i could do was run at some unknown pace (it felt very slow) so i would make the finish and the pain would go away.

I was really thirsty at this stage and i finished my last bottle of water, took some jellies from a spectator (thank you!) and even picked up a bottle of water to dunk over me and just.kept.running. With a couple of hundred metres to go i saw the spectator barriers, i saw the finish line and i saw the clock...it said 3:2XXX....i had done it!!! Sadly enough, it was arms in the air as i crossed the line!!!! What a rush!

To everyone who has in anyway helped, thank you. So it's runners off for a few days before putting some kind of plan together for a go at sub 1:30 in Wexford and then train through the summer for an autumn marathon.

Running, sure what else would you be doing???
    Well done asimonov - that's a great result for your first and the event. I have decided to do Dublin this year as my first - have been delaying setting a target time, but reading your thread, I guess I should just get on and do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

lecheile wrote: »
    Well done asimonov - that's a great result for your first and the event. I have decided to do Dublin this year as my first - have been delaying setting a target time, but reading your thread, I guess I should just get on and do it!!

Thanks lecheile, i have to say it was a fantastic day.

If this is any help my target time got more precise and focused as i got nearer to the event. I went from "i can finish" to "i can do sub 4" between november and december and i was very comfortable with that target. But it was the run in dungarvan with about 7 weeks to go that gave me the confidence to know i could drop it to 3:30. I'm in no real position to give advice (so ignore at will!), if you pick a time target now you can adjust it as your conditioning improves and you get a chance to do some runs that give an accurate indication of what you're capable of achieving. The target at this time should help you focus on getting out the door regularly. Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

fantastic running and great report asminov.
    some time and finishing position for a first marathon
    now i think your entitled to a "little" rest:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great first marathon asimonov. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Thanks lecheile, i have to say it was a fantastic day.

If this is any help my target time got more precise and focused as i got nearer to the event. I went from "i can finish" to "i can do sub 4" between november and december and i was very comfortable with that target. But it was the run in dungarvan with about 7 weeks to go that gave me the confidence to know i could drop it to 3:30. I'm in no real position to give advice (so ignore at will!), if you pick a time target now you can adjust it as your conditioning improves and you get a chance to do some runs that give an accurate indication of what you're capable of achieving. The target at this time should help you focus on getting out the door regularly. Best of luck with the training.
    Thanks for the advice asimonov - you are right. I'm fairly confident I could do a 3:30 - but I'm told that I should challenge myself and plan for a 3:15.

Admittedly my confidence is based on one half marathon (1:35) (Dublin last year) and a few 5 and 10k races in the meantime. So not entirely sure where a 3:30 came from, not to mention a 3:15.

Back in action after a lovely week of not running after conn. I've signed up for Dublin but next stop is Wexford half. I've no injuries or niggles after conn (other than my toenails being an endless source of amusement for the kids). I got orthotics from pat treacy in Gowran so have been wearing them around the house recently. On Saturday I went for a 3 mile recovery pace run to get back in the mode. But then had to travel for a stag in lahinch on sat/sun.

Today was officially the first day back at running school. I had been hoping to give sub 1:30 a go in Wexford. My gut feeling is that Wexford is closer to now than I am to being ready to run that pace. Today I wanted to see if I could hit that pace for 7 miles to give me an indication of where I stood. I missed the first half mile on the garmin but split from there were 7:06, 6:40,6:50,7:26, 6:26, 6:32, 6:34. Mile 4 being the crest of a hill. I find that kind of threshold running physically tough. All in all a good run to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Asimonov,

Excellent report and cracking time...I'll try not to hold you back for the first 10km next time:-)

Onwards to Dublin!

Izoard wrote: »
    Hey Asimonov,

Excellent report and cracking time...I'll try not to hold you back for the first 10km next time:-)

Onwards to Dublin!

As long as you never ask me to pace a swim or cycle for you - i'm such a one trick pony ;-)

Did 5 miles at lunch today keeping my HR below 150.

• Advertisement

i'm starting to get back up to speed again, dublin seems a long way off, so i 'm glad to have wexford to look forward to. I'll need to register for something shortly after that - as i am well capable of grinding to a halt without something to target. In the meantime i've been using the HRM on my runs, i'm now used to wearing the band around my chest. I have no training plan to run to at the moment so it depends on my mood as to what i do.

wednesday april 1st
    5 miles easy, 39:02, 7:39min, 133 bpm
    thursday april 2nd
    3 miles easy run, garmin battery died.
    Sat, april 4th
    6.91 miles mp + a bit, 49:07, 7:06, 163bpm

Sun, April 5th

I spent Sunday working and got home around 6:30pm and having missed my LSR's decided to get a good run in. I have a favourite 13 mile route of which 6 miles is a track down by the river barrow - so with the Wexford Half in mind i decided to give that a go. So with SFA's the man don't give a f*** on the ipod i set off, running at a pace that felt like a hardish but sustainable half marathon pace. I didn't look at the watch until 10miles, which came up at 68' 30" - so pretty much on target pace. At this stage i had to climb steps to leave the river track, this combined with fatigue and knowing where i was in terms of time etc killed off my momentum and i couldn't get it going again so i ran the last 3 miles home at marathon pace. Total time; 1:32:18 on a very flat loop.

I paid a price for that Sunday run, I tired myself out for a few days and developed a nice blister from the orthodics on my left foot. On Wednesday I got out for a prework 6.4 mile run, Thursday didn't happen for me and today I did an easy 10.3 miles that involved a very big hill and a loose horse.

I'm looking forward to Wexford now, there was a post on the "best marathon ever" thread yesterday that suggested 5 or so weeks after a marathon you should be in good shape to run a shorter race, so here's hoping. The only other issue of the moment is figuring out a schedule of runs. There is a smithwicks series of road races in kk starting in two weeks, I was thinking of giving these a go. They range from 2mile to 6mile, I am pretty sure my 2 mile pace is close to my 6 mile pace, but I can only try!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Total time; 1:32:18 on a very flat loop.
    Wow, great run. Looks like you'll breeze through in under 1:30 and could take another couple of minutes off too. If we do run together next week, you'll have to forgo any politeness and leave me for dust if the pace isn't up to scratch.

What did you do to the horse? :eek:

Wow, great run. Looks like you'll breeze through in under 1:30 and could take another couple of minutes off too. If we do run together next week, you'll have to forgo any politeness and leave me for dust if the pace isn't up to scratch.

What did you do to the horse? :eek:

I'm way more likely to wheeze through it, and luckily the horse had a top pace of 8min miles...so left him for dead! Did you skillfully avoid the physio in case of veto on the WW trail tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Absolutely! :D My logic is that tomorrow's race is mostly off-road, so it'll be like a massage for my sore muscles and ligaments. In fact, the physio would probably recommend that I do this race. ;)

Absolutely! :D My logic is that tomorrow's race is mostly off-road, so it'll be like a massage for my sore muscles and ligaments. In fact, the physio would probably recommend that I do this race. ;)

Nice day for that run, best of luck with it.

Another 10 mile run this morning, this time up onto the ridge over 4 miles and then an easy cruise back down over 6.

10.61 miles
    1:23:02
    150 bpm
    7:49 p/m

I found this mapmyrun profile of the wexford half course - it's a little over the distance but it gives a good idea of the elevation changes which peak over mile 5. The course looks pretty fast, it is largely flat with slight rises and falls once the initial climb is out of the way.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/wexford/783635550673

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I spent Sunday working and got home around 6:30pm and having missed my LSR's decided to get a good run in. I have a favourite 13 mile route of which 6 miles is a track down by the river barrow - so with the Wexford Half in mind i decided to give that a go. So with SFA's the man don't give a f*** on the ipod i set off, running at a pace that felt like a hardish but sustainable half marathon pace. I didn't look at the watch until 10miles, which came up at 68' 30" - so pretty much on target pace. At this stage i had to climb steps to leave the river track, this combined with fatigue and knowing where i was in terms of time etc killed off my momentum and i couldn't get it going again so i ran the last 3 miles home at marathon pace. Total time; 1:32:18 on a very flat loop.

Hi asimonov could you post up directions of that run if you can? I'd be interested in the route, thanks!

ike wrote: »
    Hi asimonov could you post up directions of that run if you can? I'd be interested in the route, thanks!

ike, i posted that garmin link in your own log.

i'm playing catch up on my own training now, and without a plan of any kind the mileage is all over the place. After my Friday / Saturday back-to-back 10 mile runs i took Sunday off.

Monday 13th : Easy 7 miles
    Tuesday 14th : Easy 5 miles

I've signed up for a few more events as well, the current list is as below. There's nothing in for june and july yet but am looking to do a 10 mile or 10K during each of these. I'm also going to try the kilkenny road league starting tonight.

-- 10th May - Tibbet Hill - IMRA
    -- 17th May - John Treacy classic in villerstown
    -- June ???
    -- July ??
    -- 15th August - Adidas 10 mile
    -- 26th September - Adidas half marathon
    -- 26th October - Dublin City Marathon

My first Kilkenny road race today in the 27th smithwicks road league I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. Got there a little early and met one or two people that I know, and got introduced to irene, the ultra who won her age category in Connemara this year, great achievement. Met up with Ike as well before the start and had a wee friendly chat. The 2 mile route was up for half a mile, downhill for half a mile, then a flat grind for the last mile. The run itself was a lung buster, the last 1/2 mile was very tough into the wind, I finished in 11.51 in 4th place, a good 20 seconds down on the person ahead. The race was well attended withover 150 runners, great vibe all round. Looking forward to the 4 miler next week already, just the small matter of a half marathon between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done asimonov, I know the guy who finished 5th (he's heading to Berlin with us) said he could'nt shake off the guy who finished 4th! Didn't realise it was you at the time.

Well done again we'll get those LSR's organised soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I finished in 11.51 in 4th place,

Good man, always nice to have a 5:xx race pace.

great result asimonov
    you must be looking forward to the half
    best of luck

I've signed up for a few more events as well, the current list is as below. There's nothing in for june and july yet but am looking to do a 10 mile or 10K during each of these. I'm also going to try the kilkenny road league starting tonight.

-- 10th May - Tibbet Hill - IMRA
    -- 17th May - John Treacy classic in villerstown
    -- June ???
    -- July ??
    -- 15th August - Adidas 10 mile
    -- 26th September - Adidas half marathon
    -- 26th October - Dublin City Marathon

there are 2 fast 5 mile races on in june/july
    clashmore 19th june
    GSK dungarvan 10th july
    dromana and ballymacarberry are on as well if these dates dont suit you
    i know you said 10 mile/10 k but these are fast very well organised races

SUNGOD wrote: »
    there are 2 fast 5 mile races on in june/july
    clashmore 19th june
    GSK dungarvan 10th july
    dromana and ballymacarberry are on as well if these dates dont suit you
    i know you said 10 mile/10 k but these are fast very well organised races

thanks sungod, i'm going to go for the gsk dungarvan and i'll probably choose from one of the others as well depending on which exact dates suit. The distance (10m /10k /5m) doesn't matter too much right now, its just the structure of having a series of harder short races staggered through my marathon training this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Mate,

If you are bored in June/ July, there are a few triathlons I can suggest for you..might slow you down a bit..:-)

Congrats on the 4th place in KK...Mrs. Asiminov was suitably proud about your achievement!

Izoard wrote: »
    Mate,

If you are bored in June/ July, there are a few triathlons I can suggest for you..might slow you down a bit..:-)

Congrats on the 4th place in KK...Mrs. Asiminov was suitably proud about your achievement!

thanks! do you mean slow me down or stop me in my tracks completely? How's the prep for the 200 going?

Ouch... a touch of sore shins after that run on wednesday. I did 1.5 mile recovery run on the track in Kilkenny with junior asimonov on thursday evening and 3 miles this mornng before work that felt slow and awkward. Might just go for a walk tomorrow instead of trying to stretch the legs before sunday.

Wexford half marathon
    Finished about 1:28, forgot to hit the button on my garmin.

Despite having got my target time I come away from Wexford with mixed emotions. Access to the race was brilliant, drove down from Dublin into Wexford and straight into a huge carpark, registration itself only took a few minutes, and there was time for a quick espresso in the hotel bar before changing. I met krusty who's plan was just to take it easy to protect his leg.

The race started on time, someone fell at the start and there was a minor pile up. My race was pretty uneventful, I started out a little quick 6:30ish pace but the hills around miles 3.5 to 7 kept me in check. It was very hot, and I had taken a powerbar gel at the start which made me feel sick, this combined with tired legs from Wednesday meant I slogged around the race rather than steady cruised it. I found it hard to get into a steady stride and the water in cups is a joke, I had to stop at each of the stops and at the first stop they weren't ready for us at all. I was on my own for most of the second, passing walkers and the odd runner who had blown up. I caught the leading lady "Anne" with 1.5 miles to go and made up a few more spaces. I suspect they misjudged the distance as in the last mile we had to double back on ourselves around bollards before the finish along the quay. The last thing I wanted to do was a sharp 180 turn with 400 metres to go. The finish was good, great cheering but no grandstand, at the finish they were serving the hundreds of finishers with an office watercooler.

Once finished I cut back up to the "shopping street" between mile 11 and 12 to meet my wife who was running as well so I could get her a bottle of water, the nice people in the centra gave me a crate of bottled water to give out. I handed the 24 bottles out in about 3 minutes. I kept a bottle for herself and we ran the last mile or so together.

To summise, in terms of my own run was pretty happy, I am going to have to find a more natural alternative to gels, I must be intollerant to glucose or whatever in them, I was also hard on my legs this week - HOWEVER - I have achieved both my stated goals at the start of this log!

In terms of the race, I give it a 6 out of 10, unlike a club event, it a commercial venture and I judge it as a customer, it was expensive and expectations were set high as a premium event. More km signs, better water stations and better equiped finishing area would have helped, the volunteers were excellent, the access was great, the local support was good - and the soup & sandwiches in the hotel were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good running hitting the target, was there many doing it? low hundreds or high hundreds?

• Advertisement

Thanks showry, high hundreds, excellent turnout I'd say. There was not that many relay teams but it was brilliant running tgrough the couple of relay changeover points, lots of support gives you a real boost. In the sunshine the carpark had a real fit festival atmosphere about it.

Advertisement