Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

here goes nothing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Excellent result asimonov. Your in good form.

I am chomping at the bit for a 10k race but doesn't really suit right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

hi asiminov, see your pics posted there, i remember you from Lisburn Half, at about 10 miles you passed me and i hung on to about 12 miles, i passed you once or twice as you had a tendancy to sit in behind small groups for a little while before passing. i remember thinking to myself "that guys running action is super, I want to be able to run like that, smooth turnover, looked effortless", I think you blasted the last 1/1.5 miles and that was the last i seen of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

wizwill wrote: »
    hi asiminov, see your pics posted there, i remember you from Lisburn Half, at about 10 miles you passed me and i hung on to about 12 miles, i passed you once or twice as you had a tendancy to sit in behind small groups for a little while before passing. i remember thinking to myself "that guys running action is super, I want to be able to run like that, smooth turnover, looked effortless", I think you blasted the last 1/1.5 miles and that was the last i seen of you.

Hey wizwill, that must have been close enough to the top of second hill and then the big downhill in lisburn, it was very far from effortless :eek: i was dieing on the inside from about mile 9 of that run! Sounds like you had a tough run in the phoenix park..

Hey asimonov, see you are down for kilmore, will you go all out for that one as well, might see you there, it's only down the road from me so gonna make it my first 10k

OI, unfortunately i am only a maybe now for Kilmore as there are a couple of runs i'll do with the club at the start of september. I'd love to do it as i missed the 5k there. 10K is a likeabe distance, its not as painfully intense as the 5k or as drawout as the 10 mile....it hurts - but not for long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

asimonov wrote: »
    there are a couple of runs i'll do with the club at the start of september

are these races or just club runs ?
    I ask to give myself a few options...how far away from waterford if they are races ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice race report, great PB asimnov, well done!!

Sosa wrote: »
    are these races or just club runs ?
    I ask to give myself a few options...how far away from waterford if they are races ?

The two in september are both races and both in kilkenny city. On the 4th of september there is the "rusty scanlon" 10k in kilkenny city - its meant to be a good race - highly competitive at our level. On the 13th of september its the kilkenny county 10 mile road championships, this will be a small field.

Thanks SJ, nice to meet you today.

Parnel AC 10k. 36:53, pb.

Good race, not too much to add to SJ's account of the course. I had run 37:53 about 7 weeks ago and wanted to beat this. Managed to attach myself to large group at the start and held my place at the back of this group for first two miles. This group then split into two mini groups as we turned into a long section that was straight into a headwind. I was in the group of four being left behind. Once the gap grew to 10 metres I decided to bridge it and managed to get tucked in again. We ran as a group til just passed half way, when myself and one other went away. I overtook this guy with about 2 miles to go, I thought he'd draft off me but he drifted off as we approached the 1k to go mark I heard the footsteps of someone catching me. I eased off letting him get close to me and as we turned up the hill with 800m to go I kicked for home and held the gap till the
    end. I finished in 7th I think.

mile splits: 5:55, 6:08, 5:41, 6:02, 6:17, 5:39 & 1:11 for .2

Had a great cup of tea afterwards and had a good chat with Boit, whose a very humble guy, and a little embaressed about having to stop and tie his shoelace yesterday. He won this mornings race in just over 30min. Awesome.

super time, you are peaking at the right time, roll on dublin. A 5.39 for the last mile is super running. Arrived early to 10 miler on sat and said a brief hello to boit as he passed me, seemed like a nice guy alright, they say long distance runners are humble and the sprinters have the ego's. I, like 90% of people found sat tough going, strange things was i was fine after it, came in at 1.04.12, 16 seconds over my pb, i was a little dissapointed but have to take the positives and move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done in the race, great improvement on your pb in 7 weeks ! , you finshed off last mile and a half very strong , your splits were a bit up and down , why was this ? how did you feel during the race ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Seres, everyone's splits were up and down on account of a strong headwind which hit you twice on the circular loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great running asimonov.. another two impressive performances.. are you still doing Longford 1/2?

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    well done in the race, great improvement on your pb in 7 weeks ! , you finshed off last mile and a half very strong , your splits were a bit up and down , why was this ? how did you feel during the race ?
    Seres, everyone's splits were up and down on account of a strong headwind which hit you twice on the circular loop.

Thanks Seres, as per SJ the wind was the key factor, all of the miles had rises and falls - i don't think there was a flat section of more than 100m in it. In terms of how i felt it was pretty much even effort through the race with a push for the final 3/4 of a mile - it wasn't too tough - mind you i was so oxygen deprived at the end i nearly kept running after i finished - it was only that someone shoved a bottle of water at me i realised i had crossed the line.

I, like 90% of people found sat tough going, strange things was i was fine after it, came in at 1.04.12, 16 seconds over my pb, i was a little dissapointed but have to take the positives and move on!

good stuff wizwill, it didn't sound like a PB day to be honest.
    rigal wrote: »
    .. are you still doing Longford 1/2?

thanks rigal, no i'm out of longford - i've had to re-arranged things so i'm going to run a few more local races instead. Sounds like you had a good holiday, its nice running on holidays when you don't have work stress and can give it a bit of time.

monday: shattered - rest.
    tuesday am: 7.85 miles recovery (8:22 p/m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

how were the legs monday , after the race ?

Seres wrote: »
    how were the legs monday , after the race ?

Really stiff and sore, i couldn't run yesterday. And still stiff and sore for this morning's run, i was finding 8:15 - 8:30 pace tough and i was just shuffling along like a granny. I did a mile warm down (but no stretches) after the race and it probably wasn't enough - so that did me no favours.

In the end this morning i had to do one faster mile (7:30) as best i could just to get a feeling of having stretched them out.

I see you got out to run on monday, well done.

Wednesday: Tempo Run.

3 miles warm up (8:15's)
    6 X T miles (6:10, 6:07, 6:09, 6:11, 6:09, 6:11)
    2 miles warm down (9:15's)

Total: 11 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

You're absolutely flying Asimonov, fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

showry wrote: »
    You're absolutely flying Asimonov, fair play to you.

I will second that. Jealous. The Rusty Scanlon will be fun.

thanks lads, there's a bit of a way to go yet, not sure i am strong enough at the moment to hit the sub3. Need to work on this.

Skived off after late afternoon meeting in waterford to do 7 sunny but windy recovery miles around dunmore east.

Have gear, will run.

Wednesday: Tempo Run.

3 miles warm up (8:15's)
    6 X T miles (6:10, 6:07, 6:09, 6:11, 6:09, 6:11)
    2 miles warm down (9:15's)

Total: 11 miles.

Thats a real tough session...well done

• Advertisement

12.2 miles at 7:42 pace. LSR tomorrow morning, then down to Wexford on Sunday for a look at eireman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

You driving down or running down? ;)

ike wrote: »
    You driving down or running down? ;)

Next year wexford will be within range.

LSR, under a bit of time pressure this morning and in no mood for a 2hr45 slogathon, so ran a little quicker than normal to get it done. Ran from village to millford and planned to come back along the river but path was blocked so had to do final 5 miles on the hard shoulder of the main road into a savage headwind. Couldn't get it over quickly enough. Any way 19.3 miles in 2:21 with a 3 min stop for water in petrol station at mile 14. Very hot out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's great running. You really are in top shape. Congrats on the 10k pb. I don't think you're in sub-3 form either. Sub 2:55 looks very achievable for you though. :)

Sunday: Rest, went down to eireman to cheer a mate on.
    Monday: 9.45 miles at 7:20's before work. Beautiful morning but noticeable drop in temperature. Long sleeves might be out again soon enough.
    Tuesday: 12.35 miles at 7:05's after work. 9 miles at average of 7:16's and 3.35 at MP

wednesday: 5.1 miles recovery
    thursday: I've been getting increasingly bored with my runs recently, i 'm feeling like i've been training for ages (12 weeks of marathon training) and I still have 8 weeks to go. This was starting to manifest itself in me pushing too hard on what are meant to be easy paced runs - just so i'd enjoy them. So today, i realised i had to put the brakes on and do easy runs easy again. After receiving some good news in work today ( a rare enough commodity), i ran with my ipod for the first time in ages - and have to say it helped pass the time pretty damn well. Just over 11 miles @ 7:34's and i managed to get through all of aphex's "i care because you do" and 1/2 of selected ambient works.

I have the first of my two 22 mile LSR's scheduled for tomorrow - i'm thinking it will be an autechre day.

• Advertisement

wednesday: 5.1 miles recovery
    thursday: I've been getting increasingly bored with my runs recently, i 'm feeling like i've been training for ages (12 weeks of marathon training) and I still have 8 weeks to go. This was starting to manifest itself in me pushing too hard on what are meant to be easy paced runs - just so i'd enjoy them. So today, i realised i had to put the brakes on and do easy runs easy again. After receiving some good news in work today ( a rare enough commodity), i ran with my ipod for the first time in ages - and have to say it helped pass the time pretty damn well. Just over 11 miles @ 7:34's and i managed to get through all of aphex's "i care because you do" and 1/2 of selected ambient works.

I have the first of my two 22 mile LSR's scheduled for tomorrow - i'm thinking it will be an autechre day.

Whats an Autechre day ? Can i eat it ?

Whats an Autechre day ? Can i eat it ?
    with your appetite, probably.

Today, first of my two 22 milers. Today 22@7:28 pace, 2hr44min. Few dodgy moments around mile 14 when my right calf tensed, but went away after a mile or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Asiminov. Is the DCM your target? If so I'm feeling slightly inadequate reading about your 22 milers! :rolleyes:

with your appetite, probably.

Today, first of my two 22 milers. Today 22@7:28 pace, 2hr44min. Few dodgy moments around mile 14 when my right calf tensed, but went away after a mile or so.
    You've come a long way since Connemara! Great running.

Great running Asiminov. Is the DCM your target? If so I'm feeling slightly inadequate reading about your 22 milers! :rolleyes:

Thanks SJ, yep dublin is the goal. Mentally, I found it comforting in connemara to have done 22 in training and have only 4.2 extra miles to do on the day. This time i'm trying to stretch the time spent on my LSR's at 7:30 pace to over 2hr40ish..so that just ends up being 22 miles. I felt ok when i was doing it but was pretty shook after it for a while.
    You've come a long way since Connemara! Great running.

Thanks KC, conn seems an age ago. I've 13 weeks done on training for DCM and i still have 8 fe(kin weeks to go! Its great you've made it through the training in great form.

Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Recovery Run, 6.08 Miles, 8:18 Pace, 50:26, 132 HR

Forgot to put in last weeks update

Summary Week 12:
    Monday: 0 rest
    Tuesday: 7.85 easy
    Wednesday: 11 tempo (6 X 6:10)
    Thursday: 7 recovery
    Friday: 12.2 medium long
    Saturday 19.5 LSR
    Sunday : 0 rest
    Total: 57.55 miles

Summary Week 13:
    Monday: 9.45 easy
    Tuesday: 12.35 medium long
    Wednesday: 5.1 recovery
    Thursday: 11.2 medium long
    Friday: 22 LSR
    Saturday: 0 Rest
    Sunday: 6.08 recovery
    Total: 66.18

Week Summaries:

Week 1 47.50
    Week 2 36.50
    Week 3 42.50 Half-marathon
    Week 4 48.00 10K
    Week 5 51.85
    Week 6 56.90
    Week 7 42.10 Sick – no LSR
    Week 8 11.00 Sick
    Week 9 57.90
    Week 10 61.50 5 mile
    Week 11 51.55 10K
    Week 12 57.55
    Week 13 66.18

• Advertisement

Today 22@7:28 pace, 2hr44min.

superb running, was that a hard session or do you consider it your LSR pace? did you by any chance get your avg HR.

I am finding it hard to take any real guide to what pace i should be doing LSR at. I have heard you should be doing 22 miles in your planned marathon time, have looked at mcmillan etc etc but i still end up going a little faster, any thoughts?

superb running, was that a hard session or do you consider it your LSR pace? did you by any chance get your avg HR.

I am finding it hard to take any real guide to what pace i should be doing LSR at. I have heard you should be doing 22 miles in your planned marathon time, have looked at mcmillan etc etc but i still end up going a little faster, any thoughts?

i struggle with it as well to be honest, i tend to go a little faster than the guides give - but still comfortable in terms of effort. I reckon anywhere between 7:25 - 7:55 is good in terms of pace.

I didn't have it down as a hard session, in the first half i was just trying to make sure every mile was between 7:30 and 7:40 and not faster, and then on the way home i picked it up a bit but still had to check myself back. I don't know about you but as i get within 6 or 7 miles of the end of an LSR my pace tends to quicken.

I only dug my HRM back out today so i'm going to use it from here on.

i'm using the VDOT calculator on attackpoint for paces and that gives me a 7:40 LSR pace from my last race (ignoring the rather optimistic marathon time it gives).

So i have two types of LSR's now, i have long ones (19-22) that are just steady effort and pace, and i have shorter progression ones (18 - 20) that start at LSR pace and get to marathon pace by the end. And i'm going week by week in terms of scheduling depending on what else happens with other sessions or the odd race.

What kind of paces are you doing your LSR's at? Did your brother do longford?

You're an animal sham, hard to believe there was only 30 secs between us at the 10 mile in February, there'd be miles in it now. Keep going.

i struggle with it as well to be honest, i tend to go a little faster than the guides give - but still comfortable in terms of effort. I reckon anywhere between 7:25 - 7:55 is good in terms of pace.

I didn't have it down as a hard session, in the first half i was just trying to make sure every mile was between 7:30 and 7:40 and not faster, and then on the way home i picked it up a bit but still had to check myself back. I don't know about you but as i get within 6 or 7 miles of the end of an LSR my pace tends to quicken.

I only dug my HRM back out today so i'm going to use it from here on.

i'm using the VDOT calculator on attackpoint for paces and that gives me a 7:40 LSR pace from my last race (ignoring the rather optimistic marathon time it gives).

So i have two types of LSR's now, i have long ones (19-22) that are just steady effort and pace, and i have shorter progression ones (18 - 20) that start at LSR pace and get to marathon pace by the end. And i'm going week by week in terms of scheduling depending on what else happens with other sessions or the odd race.

What kind of paces are you doing your LSR's at? Did your brother do longford?

Thanks for the insight into your LSR methodology. Its quite interesting, will definetely take pieces of it and put them into my plan. Like you i build it into my week depending on other commitments (busy job, young child and one on the way, due the week after the marathon!), I am averaging about the same mileage as yourself. Of 5 long runs i have missed (illness) two, my others have been two 18 and one 20. I am averaging 7.25, had the garmin on for the 20 miler and i hit 2.26 (7.23 at 148 Avg HR). I am looking at the Pearl Izumi 10k in a couple of weeks and the Dub Half to guage where i am at, did the dub 10 miler a few weeks back in 64, was hoping for 63, but it was a tough day.

My brother didnt do longford, he had planned the full becuase he had something planned for DCM weekend, its now cleared for him and he is going to do dublin instead, which i think is a great idea as its his first.

Best of luck with the rest of the training, will keep an eye on your continued progress!

yesterday i outdid myself. This is a recovery week for me (other than the race this friday). But somewhere along the way yesterday i decided what i really needed was a repeat of the 6 mile tempo run at 6:10's i did 11 days ago.

So went out with the HRM after work, i have an 11 mile loop use for these, 3 mile warm up all good, hit the first 2 miles at 6:10, mile 3 was on a slight up-hill and i kept pace for about 3/4's of it before my HR went through the roof; i tried to keep it going but I'd dropped below 6:20 and my effort had gone way though threshold..so i dropped back to easy pace and trudged home. Nothing but easy miles from here this week. Total miles 11.3

yesterday i outdid myself. This is a recovery week for me (other than the race this friday). But somewhere along the way yesterday i decided what i really needed was a repeat of the 6 mile tempo run at 6:10's i did 11 days ago.

So went out with the HRM after work, i have an 11 mile loop use for these, 3 mile warm up all good, hit the first 2 miles at 6:10, mile 3 was on a slight up-hill and i kept pace for about 3/4's of it before my HR went through the roof; i tried to keep it going but I'd dropped below 6:20 and my effort had gone way though threshold..so i dropped back to easy pace and trudged home. Nothing but easy miles from here this week. Total miles 11.3

Running partners and a previous hard week dont help. Friday you will be fresh.

I've taken it easy since, I took a rest day on Tuesday and then yesterday and today ran 6 easy miles at 7:38 pace on Wednesday and 7:48 pace today. 6 mile road race on tomorrow evening. Should be fun running against village runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Mmmm..probably won't be running this myself, but I might be at the finish for the 'showdown' - must start winding villagerunner up tomorrow :p

Rusty Scanlon 6 mile road race, kilkenny.
    Time: 35:56, Finished 5th.

This weekend was the kick off of three weekends of races in a row, two of which i'm going to run at race pace. I'd had a light week so far after my aborted tempo run on Monday but even the two "easy" runs after that hadn't felt that easy.

Anyway, met up with VR and a few others before and did a 2 mile warm up, it was pretty gusty but dry.

Race was pretty unremarkable, i started slowly settled into 8th place for the first mile, then picked up 7th and 6th by the end of mile 2. I caught the guy in 5th at mile 3 and we ran together for mile 4 (where the pace dropped) and then picked it up for mile 5 & 6. I was 20 seconds down on the guy in 4th, but under no pressure from behind. Overall it was a comfortable race without the competitiveness of the last two races where it was a battle right to the finish.

Mile splits were : 5:58, 6:05, 5:59, 6:12, 5:43, 5:43, (+17 secs for extra .06).

Picked up a prize for 5th, no idea what it is yet...but as last years first prize was a....deep fat fryer (the world's most inappropriate race prize) expectations aren't too high.

Left shin is pretty sore now; so i'll probably do a very short recovery run tomorrow before a slow lsr on sunday.

Warm down was 1.5 miles, total 9.5 miles today.

nice running Asimonov, congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Very good running. You´re getting very comfortable with those 6 minute miles! A nice place to be I´d imagine (I can only imagine!)

Incredible stuff. What was your 10k time this time last year?
    I hope it's a deep fat fryer. Might help bring you back into the realm of us mere mortals. :)

Very good running. You´re getting very comfortable with those 6 minute miles! A nice place to be I´d imagine (I can only imagine!)

cheers AW, at sea-level anything is possible :-)
    Incredible stuff. What was your 10k time this time last year?
    I hope it's a deep fat fryer. Might help bring you back into the realm of us mere mortals. :)

cheers krusty, i hadn't run one before may this year, so i've no previous at that distance at all. And after all this clean living, November could well be the month of deep fried everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

brilliant running asimnov!

those last two mile splits are well impressive, keep it up!

Great running asimonov...sub 6 min miles seem to be getting easier for you.
    Well done

super running, well done

Unfortunately I've done no running since the race on Friday. My left shin has flared up pretty badly. Its sore on the outside of the shin down to the top of my foot / ankle. I can feel it when i walk pretty much all the time and i'm limping a bit. :( I've been recommended a physio in Kilkenny, so i'll try and get an appointment with her early in the week. I don't plan to run until its better. 7 weeks to go. A bit worried.

On the bright side....4 in a row :D:D:D:D..we were lucky with the penalty but the red card offence was savage.

Week Summary 14/21

Monday: 11.3 Tempo run (not finished) (3 at 6:10)
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: 6 easy
    Thursday: 6 easy
    Friday: 9.5 (6 mile race)
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: rest

Total: 32.8

Week Summaries:
    Week 1 47.50
    Week 2 36.50
    Week 3 42.50 Half-marathon
    Week 4 48.00 10K
    Week 5 51.85
    Week 6 56.90
    Week 7 42.10 Sick – no LSR
    Week 8 11.00 Sick
    Week 9 57.90
    Week 10 61.50 5 mile
    Week 11 51.55 10K
    Week 12 57.55
    Week 13 66.18
    Week 14 32.8 6 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Jaysus, you are becoming an elite runner, superb time, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great going there asimonov - 5:43, 5:43 for the last two miles is savage running. As osnola ivax says - have you considered quitting the day job?

Sorry to hear about the injury. I'm not here to prescribe medical advice but I find ice packs and oruvail gel helps a lot (as well as the physio)...

• Advertisement

7 weeks to go. A bit worried.

Plenty of time, you are right to wait until its better. I missed a week last week due to illness and done a long run today, it turned out to be best one so far, no effects from a week off. Did you race in flats? i have packed mine away and doing all my running in Kayanos, otherwise my achilles plays up. Something very interesting i discovered today is that the clutch on my car is as stiff as anything and i think its causing some of my achilles trouble. Swapping cars with the wife until after the marathon.

Have you thought about aqua running to keep you ticking over? There is a good article by Vinny Mulvey on injuries on runireland.com (cant open the link at the moment)

Advertisement