Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Just back from holidays and sadly returning to normality..
    Sub 80 ten mile huh? Hmmmmmmm interesting. Will you be wearing a balloon? ;)

Good run in the 5 mile btw, you're well on for a 79 min 10 mile. Look forward to hooking up at that race. Mind you, if it is more popular than the 5 mile run the logistics of meeting anyone sounds challenging.
    rigal wrote: »
    Get well soon asiminov. You're training is going very well so just take it as a big step-back week and ease yourself back into it again..

thanks rigal, because of the sickness i haven't been able to run at all since last saturday - so that's 7 days without any running. I'm going to go out again this evening for an easy run.

This break has thrown my training plan out a little. There are 14 weeks to Dublin and i've re-organised it as 3 cycles of four weeks (fourth week of each is step back) and then a two week taper.

My race plans have also had to be re-arranged, i can't run the dublin half marathon due to family stuff so i'm going to do the longford half as the replacement to it. I'll do the 10 mile in Dublin and some more shorter races as well.
    designman wrote: »
    Hey asminov,

Thanks for encouragement, we'll let me get a few more miles under my belt before we meet up! Things going well though, just keep freakin out when the runs are not so good - still have to increase my miles a fair bit though. Am started the Higdon novice 2 schedule - jumped into week 4 to try and synch it with DCM so would be really interested to hear from anybody else that is a first timer using this schedule or even anybody that has used it in past. Enjoy the rain. Hope you can get back to you schedule asminov.

no worries designman, hey - don't freak out, if some of the runs weren't hard it wouldn't be training. i used a HH plan for connemara and jumped in around the same time. I just took a look at it there and I see week four is an 11 mile LSR run. That length of run might hurt a little towards the end if you are not use to it. But you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll get used to it and by the end of august - you'll consider 11 - 13 mile runs as being fodder. Just take it easy on the pace and get them done - box ticked, week over, move along.

11.1 miles in 1:25. Ran into town, a strong headwind the entire way meant it was more of a struggle than it should have been. Kept pace around the 8 min miles until 9, and then picked it up for the last two. Just happy to be running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Thanks asimonov, glad you are feeling better. It was crazy up there for the 5 miler so it would be very hard to meet people, I'll pm you my race no. anyway when I get it, on the off chance we meet up. If you are coming in around the 80 min mark, I hope to be fairly close to you.

I was gonna ask you if you felt like another pacee but tbh, if I keep an eye on the garmin, which I found really effective last race, I should be ok. I think I'll try and hit all miles at 7:45 pace with mile 4 and 9 at 8:15, these are the uphill miles, this will get me in 78.5 mins, that's the plan anyway.

Sounds like a plan OI, maybe just allow 8 min for mile 1, and then 7:45 from there. See you then.

7 miles in 52 min this morning before work, lovely day for running, sunshine and light breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 designman

no worries designman, hey - don't freak out, if some of the runs weren't hard it wouldn't be training. i used a HH plan for connemara and jumped in around the same time. I just took a look at it there and I see week four is an 11 mile LSR run. That length of run might hurt a little towards the end if you are not use to it. But you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll get used to it and by the end of august - you'll consider 11 - 13 mile runs as being fodder. Just take it easy on the pace and get them done - box ticked, week over, move along.[/QUOTE]

Hi Asminov,

Thanks for encouragement. I ran (with Irene & Siobhan) 1hr 25 min on Saturday in Castle Park - felt really great, kept the pace just under 10 min mile and it worked well. Still learning all along, was not too wrecked after this run so I was delighted, if I can build on this each week it will be great. Am finding the rest days a bit boring to be honest but think if I don't do them then I will be wrecked. Am thinking of doing the bike to work scheme so that on the days off I have a bike to messs around on. Two questions someone might be able to answer:

1. All of the shorts I got - Nike etc seem to chafe inner leg after a while :o, maybe could someone suggest a better short - Asics? Have not tried them yet? Someone on another post said that bodyglide is good but surely I should not have to use it just on training runs?

2. If I was getting a watch to measure distance etc. What would I look for - just need to plot/ log my runs etc - maybe on my mac. I looked at a garmin one on amphibian king website which seems the deal - any advice?

Thanks

Designman

• Advertisement

designman wrote: »

1. All of the shorts I got - Nike etc seem to chafe inner leg after a while :o, maybe could someone suggest a better short - Asics? Have not tried them yet? Someone on another post said that bodyglide is good but surely I should not have to use it just on training runs?

2. If I was getting a watch to measure distance etc. What would I look for - just need to plot/ log my runs etc - maybe on my mac. I looked at a garmin one on amphibian king website which seems the deal - any advice?

I just use the bodyglide or vaseline on the training runs, and shorts are a trial and error thing. i have a pair of asic shorts i can't wear at all for the same reason and then other brands that are just fine.

On the watch front, your options are pretty much the Garmin 305 or 405 (they both have updated models out this year). The difference is simple, the 305 is larger and more user friendly, the 405 is neater and more watch like and the useability suffers a little for it. it depends on what you prefer. i think if i was buying one now and i try and get an old model 405 ( i think the new ones are called xt) as cheap as possible on the web. They're both mac compatible now.

5.1 mile in the rain this morning, i hate lorry spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 runforrest

hi guys finally found the thread phew that was hard signed up for addidas 10mile yesterday places filling up fast according to website first time i have ever seen that in relation to addidas series.pleased with first lonngish run sat considering just back from hols wouuld be great to link up for run in kk.although ur pace asminov could kill us :):eek:

runforrest wrote: »
    hi guys finally found the thread phew that was hard signed up for addidas 10mile yesterday places filling up fast according to website first time i have ever seen that in relation to addidas series.pleased with first lonngish run sat considering just back from hols wouuld be great to link up for run in kk.although ur pace asminov could kill us :):eek:

hi runforrest, i'll try and hook up with you guys this weekend in the castle park. From reports around here the 5 mile start was a touch chaotic and it looks like the 10 mile will be even more popular.

First track session in a couple of weeks tonight with a lad from the club and VR. Decided to go with faster shorter intervals than the 2k and mile ones I've done previously without them being sprints. So we did:

2 mile warm up
    12 x 600m intervals at 5:30 p/m pace
    200m jog recovery
    2 mile warm down.

Held the pace at 5:27 for all of them, finishing at 2:06 or just below. The middle few hurt a bit but other than that it felt ok. It feels great when these sessions are over.

Total distance tonight was 10 miles, which brought me through the 1000 mile mark! Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

asimonov wrote: »

Total distance tonight was 10 miles, which brought me through the 1000 mile mark! Happy days.

Congrats on the milestone and a solid session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Welcome to the club - nice quality session to get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

First track session in a couple of weeks tonight with a lad from the club and VR. .......
    12 x 600m intervals at 5:30 p/m pace
    ................Total distance tonight was 10 miles, which brought me through the 1000 mile mark! Happy days.

Good to see you come roaring back from illness with a track session like that.. congrats on the milestone as well..

What's your target for Longford or is it tbc? I've entered as well so looking forward to doing a longer race again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done, Asimonov. Nice work.

thanks lads.
    Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats on the milestone and a solid session

Its been a class thread that has really kept my motivation high, thanks.
    rigal wrote: »

What's your target for Longford or is it tbc? I've entered as well so looking forward to doing a longer race again...

In my written down list of targets i have a 1:22 half marathon, which may be a case of a goal too far. So right now i'd be very happy to get close to 1:23. Have you a target in mind or is a case of wait and see?

In my written down list of targets i have a 1:22 half marathon, which may be a case of a goal too far. So right now i'd be very happy to get close to 1:23. Have you a target in mind or is a case of wait and see?

That would be a nice acheivement to notch up before Dublin.

My list says sub 1:35 but my gut (& McMillan) thinks I can go faster so will aim for 1:33-1:34 if training continues to go well... I'll know more in a few weeks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done on hittin 1000......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Well done. Do you fell better (or worse) for it?!

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done on hittin 1000......

thanks ultra, i'm only an amateur. I look forward to the day i can regularly get out for sneaki 20 milers :D

+1. Well done. Do you fell better (or worse) for it?!

Good question. When i think how far it is from last year. I still have my first 11 mile training run - that was a milestone - from the 8th of November last tracked on my iphone (pre-garmin days) - and i remember how totally and absolutely wrecked i felt after it.

And then, in the 1,000 miles since january there's been so much; the amazing connemara experience, a painful wexford half-mara, the local road races, the track sessions, meeting up with people through boards and the club...yeah, its been great.

Here's hopin' the next 1,000 miles is as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

well done on reaching 1000. I see you found wexford half tough, why did you find it tough. i did the race myself and i found it very tough myself becuase of the hills and heat, i have done hillier races since but there was something about that race that has left a scar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Well done on the 1,000 mile thing. ;)

• Advertisement

wizwill wrote: »
    well done on reaching 1000. I see you found wexford half tough, why did you find it tough. i did the race myself and i found it very tough myself becuase of the hills and heat, i have done hillier races since but there was something about that race that has left a scar!

That's funny - that's exactly how i think of it.

Why did it hurt? I think there are two sets of reasons for it. Firstly things out of my control - it was hot, those hills at mile 3 - 6, the water in cups, i was a bit sick.

The other factors were things i did wrong.

- i didn't know the course - and even though i was down in wexford early i didn't drive it (so i had no idea what to expect or how to gauge my effort)
    - i started too quickly, and probably went slightly lactic going up the hills, so when i should have been able to really stretch out and let fly on the downhills in the middle i was starting to tie up.
    - i took two gels and i didn't drink enough with them so felt sick and dehydrated by mile 8.

I did lisburn a couple of months after - which was similar enough in terms of elevation, the hills are just distributed slightly differently. That time i drove the course, started steadier, left a drink in a bottle out for myself and i finished quicker and in better shape. Live and learn I suppose :).

I might go back next year to wexford to run it better - just not sure i want to spend close on €50 to run a half again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

That's funny - that's exactly how i think of it.

Why did it hurt? I think there are two sets of reasons for it. Firstly things out of my control - it was hot, those hills at mile 3 - 6, the water in cups, i was a bit sick.

The other factors were things i did wrong.

- i didn't know the course - and even though i was down in wexford early i didn't drive it (so i had no idea what to expect or how to gauge my effort)
    - i started too quickly, and probably went slightly lactic going up the hills, so when i should have been able to really stretch out and let fly on the downhills in the middle i was starting to tie up.
    - i took two gels and i didn't drink enough with them so felt sick and dehydrated by mile 8.

I did lisburn a couple of months after - which was similar enough in terms of elevation, the hills are just distributed slightly differently. That time i drove the course, started steadier, left a drink in a bottle out for myself and i finished quicker and in better shape. Live and learn I suppose :).

I might go back next year to wexford to run it better - just not sure i want to spend close on €50 to run a half again.

Ah my first race, I have great memories of it, I train on those hills on miles 3-6 almost every day. And do you remember the 200 ft drop at the other end of those miles, I run up that every other day.

It was bloody warm that day, at the halfway point, I was on for 1:46 but my legs turned to jelly after 10 miles. I am gonna go sub 1:40 there next year! Then we'll go for a pint.

Asimonov,

its funny i did lisburn as well, you are right the hills were similar but distributed differently. I done a 1.31 in wexford V a 1.25 in lisburn (with a 1.30 in newry in between) i was in really bad shape after wexford so much so that my brother had to drive my car home and i could hardly eat for a couple of hours afterwards, likewise i went out too fast in wexford. I dont drive new courses beforehand, in some ways i like finding out as i go, I wasnt prepared for Wexford, it was described by the promoter as undulating which it wasnt. At that price i dont think i will be back to Wexford next year, I will be back to Lisburn, great value at £15. Looking at the longford half now its a little pricey at 40 and has gone up since 1st August.

A week after wexford i broke sub 40 for 10k at nationals, I came home in 39 mins and felt strong all the way round, I feel i could have gone faster but was happy to bank a sub 40, i put it down to wexford the week before, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

wizwill wrote: »
    Asimonov,

its funny i did lisburn as well, you are right the hills were similar but distributed differently. I done a 1.31 in wexford V a 1.25 in lisburn (with a 1.30 in newry in between) i was in really bad shape after wexford so much so that my brother had to drive my car home and i could hardly eat for a couple of hours afterwards, likewise i went out too fast in wexford. I dont drive new courses beforehand, in some ways i like finding out as i go, I wasnt prepared for Wexford, it was described by the promoter as undulating which it wasnt. At that price i dont think i will be back to Wexford next year, I will be back to Lisburn, great value at £15. Looking at the longford half now its a little pricey at 40 and has gone up since 1st August.

A week after wexford i broke sub 40 for 10k at nationals, I came home in 39 mins and felt strong all the way round, I feel i could have gone faster but was happy to bank a sub 40, i put it down to wexford the week before, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

I'd say you'd smash that sub 40 now, we're probably pretty similar in terms of form and i did a sub 38 a week after lisburn. So I'm going to wait and see with longford, in its favour the timing is pretty good and it seems to be flat.

Summary for
    week 9
    Monday: 7 easy
    Tuesday: 5.1 easy
    Wednesday: 10 with intervals 12 X 600 at 5:30 pace
    Thursday: 5.1 miles recovery
    Friday: 10.2 miles easy
    Saturday: 20.5 miles in 2:41 - Ran into town and met up with designman for a few laps of the castle park
    Sunday: Rest
    Total for week: 57.9

DCM Week Summary

Week 1 47.5
    Week 2 36.55
    Week 3 42.5 Lisburn 1/2
    Week 4 48 County 10K
    Week 5 51.85
    Week 6 56.9
    Week 7 42.1 Sick – no LSR
    Week 8 11 Sick - only 1 run
    Week 9 57.9

Year to date: 1035

I will probably have to head to longford as my bro is doing his first marathon and will have to drive. I might try a do 2 miles before the start of the half, the half and 5 miles after to make it my LSR for the week, try and stick to mp of 6.50 for the 13.1.

i missed the last two days due to illness, i see you have been ill for some of last week and week before, it really throws you, i am trying to be positive and the break will do me good i keep telling myself.

I am going to do the dublin series 10, possibly longford. After that i am not sure, i think the dublin series half is too close to dublin, it usually takes me a week to recover after a full out Half, i feel like i could get injured at any point the week after a Half. That said i will probably do it anyway. I need to start making some firm decisions on races, the guys on boards seem to know exactly what races they are going to do in order to maximise their A race.

Good luck with week 10, btw your weeks 1-9 looks very similar to mine.

Cheers, good luck with the next few weeks. Let me know how you go if you get a chance. In terms of races I'm going to do a 5 mile race in carrick on suir this Friday, I'll do the 10 mile in the phoenix park but won't race it and then do the Leinster 10k in Wicklow the day after. Then it's probably the longford half and I think the county 10 mile is on in September with one other 10k in kilmore or the pearl izumi one in Dublin to follow that.

Monday: I wanted to get my tempo out of the way early this week so I can just do easy miles between now and Friday. Weather was pretty grim, very wet and windy.
    Anyway, did 3 mile warm up, 6 mile tempo at average 6:27 pace, 2.25 mile warm down with 2 x 400m at 3k pace.

Tuesday; 8 miles recovery. Felt ok, didn't bother with a watch, spent 10 minutes afterwards with legs in large barrell of water in garden. Kids think I've lost it.

..... spent 10 minutes afterwards with legs in large barrell of water in garden. Kids think I've lost it.

Love it.. runners are mad...

absolute genious! were did you get the barrell, i cant bear ice water but i can do cold water, i think cold water is just as effective. In a glycogen depleted state after 20 miles I get the uncontrollable shivers like i am about to die once i get into cold water.

you ever try skins or other compression tights, i find sleeping in them is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 runforrest

hi all started doing ice baths a few years back when we did the celtic tiger thing and bought an american fridge with ice maker :D my husband and kids got sadistic pleasure on filling the bath with the ice but after 3hrs 20 mins running will try anything have to say have being injury free.Any one interested in nore swim 3pm day of 10 mile that should be cold enough:)

Advertisement