Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

asimonov wrote: »
    Against all odds (she will read this :D) she summoned courage from deep within to get back on track and finish strongly.

Final chip time : 1:25:29 - the exact same time as villierstown..spooky..

We hung around for half an hour cheering on other finishers...i think shane byrne just got under the 2 hour mark.

The race was really well put together and organised, and i enjoyed not racing it. The only comments would be the amount of people with ipods etc...it had a touch of the silent disco at the EP...and the goodie bag looked like it had been put together by the national society for the promotion of obesity..no wonder they put toothpaste in :-)

You must have crossed the line shortly after me then. My name was called out over the tannoy so you'd probably have known if you were around me. :pac: Well done to the OH are you both coming up for the half marathon? I hung around for probably about 15 minutes after the race, Shane Byrne was coming upto mile 9 as I cycled past him, poor bloke looked like he wanted me to put him on my bike and carry him over the last mile. :D

Well done on your PB this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Excellent splits. Whether in miles or kms they go up and down due to the nature of the course. Each of your splits was way ahead of mine, except the last 0.2 mile which hardly counts where I pulled a kick out of the bag to get past another runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Excellent splits. Whether in miles or kms they go up and down due to the nature of the course. Each of your splits was way ahead of mine, except the last 0.2 mile which hardly counts where I pulled a kick out of the bag to get past another runner.

thanks, a summer of road races and speed work helps; no doubt you'll return the favour on the hills & trails at some stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

great time again...you are def getting the confidence up.
    After our discussion recently i decided to race a 10k in early Sept and possibly a 5m next week,but i am still only doing the KK half @ MP

You must have crossed the line shortly after me then. My name was called out over the tannoy so you'd probably have known if you were around me. :pac: Well done to the OH are you both coming up for the half marathon? I hung around for probably about 15 minutes after the race, Shane Byrne was coming upto mile 9 as I cycled past him, poor bloke looked like he wanted me to put him on my bike and carry him over the last mile. :D

Well done on your PB this morning.

yeah, shane doesn't exactly have the build for a sub 60 10 miler! Gave us the thumbs up when we cheered him though. We're going to do the Kilkenny half instead of the Dublin one, i reckon there'll be about 5400 less runners in it. you might make it down to run it? 3 HM's in 3 weekends is a great idea :)
    Sosa wrote: »
    great time again...you are def getting the confidence up.
    After our discussion recently i decided to race a 10k in early Sept and possibly a 5m next week,but i am still only doing the KK half @ MP

Thanks Sosa, today was a good day alright. On the negative side though i missed an LSR to do it and with that dropped my mileage for the week. So after that and our thread on racing as marathon prep - i've decided to only race two more and i'll MP or easy pace the KK half as well. Well done on your 20 miler today, its a landmark distance.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sosa, today was a good day alright. On the negative side though i missed an LSR to do it and with that dropped my mileage for the week. So after that and our thread on racing as marathon prep - i've decided to only race two more and i'll MP or easy pace the KK half as well. Well done on your 20 miler today, its a landmark distance.

Looks like our chat got me to race a few and got you to reduce your races...everyones a winner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

you might make it down to run it? 3 HM's in 3 weekends is a great idea :)

Don't encouarge me, when I get silly ideas in my head I usually follow them through. That being said, I've just glanced up at my training schedule and it has me down for 17 miles w/14 @ MP for that day....

Some of beepbeep's photos from today's race.
    3826373049_70ca2a33cb.jpg

In red singlet and black shorts
    3827185548_02cb9c71ae.jpg

3827396274_cbe8f09763.jpg

Looking very relaxed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hey asimonov, see you are down for kilmore, will you go all out for that one as well, might see you there, it's only down the road from me so gonna make it my first 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Excellent result asimonov. Your in good form.

I am chomping at the bit for a 10k race but doesn't really suit right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

hi asiminov, see your pics posted there, i remember you from Lisburn Half, at about 10 miles you passed me and i hung on to about 12 miles, i passed you once or twice as you had a tendancy to sit in behind small groups for a little while before passing. i remember thinking to myself "that guys running action is super, I want to be able to run like that, smooth turnover, looked effortless", I think you blasted the last 1/1.5 miles and that was the last i seen of you.

wizwill wrote: »
    hi asiminov, see your pics posted there, i remember you from Lisburn Half, at about 10 miles you passed me and i hung on to about 12 miles, i passed you once or twice as you had a tendancy to sit in behind small groups for a little while before passing. i remember thinking to myself "that guys running action is super, I want to be able to run like that, smooth turnover, looked effortless", I think you blasted the last 1/1.5 miles and that was the last i seen of you.

Hey wizwill, that must have been close enough to the top of second hill and then the big downhill in lisburn, it was very far from effortless :eek: i was dieing on the inside from about mile 9 of that run! Sounds like you had a tough run in the phoenix park..

Hey asimonov, see you are down for kilmore, will you go all out for that one as well, might see you there, it's only down the road from me so gonna make it my first 10k

OI, unfortunately i am only a maybe now for Kilmore as there are a couple of runs i'll do with the club at the start of september. I'd love to do it as i missed the 5k there. 10K is a likeabe distance, its not as painfully intense as the 5k or as drawout as the 10 mile....it hurts - but not for long!

there are a couple of runs i'll do with the club at the start of september

are these races or just club runs ?
    I ask to give myself a few options...how far away from waterford if they are races ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice race report, great PB asimnov, well done!!

Sosa wrote: »
    are these races or just club runs ?
    I ask to give myself a few options...how far away from waterford if they are races ?

The two in september are both races and both in kilkenny city. On the 4th of september there is the "rusty scanlon" 10k in kilkenny city - its meant to be a good race - highly competitive at our level. On the 13th of september its the kilkenny county 10 mile road championships, this will be a small field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Thanks SJ, nice to meet you today.

Parnel AC 10k. 36:53, pb.

Good race, not too much to add to SJ's account of the course. I had run 37:53 about 7 weeks ago and wanted to beat this. Managed to attach myself to large group at the start and held my place at the back of this group for first two miles. This group then split into two mini groups as we turned into a long section that was straight into a headwind. I was in the group of four being left behind. Once the gap grew to 10 metres I decided to bridge it and managed to get tucked in again. We ran as a group til just passed half way, when myself and one other went away. I overtook this guy with about 2 miles to go, I thought he'd draft off me but he drifted off as we approached the 1k to go mark I heard the footsteps of someone catching me. I eased off letting him get close to me and as we turned up the hill with 800m to go I kicked for home and held the gap till the
    end. I finished in 7th I think.

mile splits: 5:55, 6:08, 5:41, 6:02, 6:17, 5:39 & 1:11 for .2

Had a great cup of tea afterwards and had a good chat with Boit, whose a very humble guy, and a little embaressed about having to stop and tie his shoelace yesterday. He won this mornings race in just over 30min. Awesome.

super time, you are peaking at the right time, roll on dublin. A 5.39 for the last mile is super running. Arrived early to 10 miler on sat and said a brief hello to boit as he passed me, seemed like a nice guy alright, they say long distance runners are humble and the sprinters have the ego's. I, like 90% of people found sat tough going, strange things was i was fine after it, came in at 1.04.12, 16 seconds over my pb, i was a little dissapointed but have to take the positives and move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done in the race, great improvement on your pb in 7 weeks ! , you finshed off last mile and a half very strong , your splits were a bit up and down , why was this ? how did you feel during the race ?

Seres, everyone's splits were up and down on account of a strong headwind which hit you twice on the circular loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great running asimonov.. another two impressive performances.. are you still doing Longford 1/2?

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    well done in the race, great improvement on your pb in 7 weeks ! , you finshed off last mile and a half very strong , your splits were a bit up and down , why was this ? how did you feel during the race ?
    Seres, everyone's splits were up and down on account of a strong headwind which hit you twice on the circular loop.

Thanks Seres, as per SJ the wind was the key factor, all of the miles had rises and falls - i don't think there was a flat section of more than 100m in it. In terms of how i felt it was pretty much even effort through the race with a push for the final 3/4 of a mile - it wasn't too tough - mind you i was so oxygen deprived at the end i nearly kept running after i finished - it was only that someone shoved a bottle of water at me i realised i had crossed the line.

wizwill wrote: »
    I, like 90% of people found sat tough going, strange things was i was fine after it, came in at 1.04.12, 16 seconds over my pb, i was a little dissapointed but have to take the positives and move on!

good stuff wizwill, it didn't sound like a PB day to be honest.
    rigal wrote: »
    .. are you still doing Longford 1/2?

thanks rigal, no i'm out of longford - i've had to re-arranged things so i'm going to run a few more local races instead. Sounds like you had a good holiday, its nice running on holidays when you don't have work stress and can give it a bit of time.

monday: shattered - rest.
    tuesday am: 7.85 miles recovery (8:22 p/m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

how were the legs monday , after the race ?

Seres wrote: »
    how were the legs monday , after the race ?

Really stiff and sore, i couldn't run yesterday. And still stiff and sore for this morning's run, i was finding 8:15 - 8:30 pace tough and i was just shuffling along like a granny. I did a mile warm down (but no stretches) after the race and it probably wasn't enough - so that did me no favours.

In the end this morning i had to do one faster mile (7:30) as best i could just to get a feeling of having stretched them out.

I see you got out to run on monday, well done.

Wednesday: Tempo Run.

3 miles warm up (8:15's)
    6 X T miles (6:10, 6:07, 6:09, 6:11, 6:09, 6:11)
    2 miles warm down (9:15's)

Total: 11 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

You're absolutely flying Asimonov, fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

showry wrote: »
    You're absolutely flying Asimonov, fair play to you.

I will second that. Jealous. The Rusty Scanlon will be fun.

thanks lads, there's a bit of a way to go yet, not sure i am strong enough at the moment to hit the sub3. Need to work on this.

Skived off after late afternoon meeting in waterford to do 7 sunny but windy recovery miles around dunmore east.

Have gear, will run.

Wednesday: Tempo Run.

3 miles warm up (8:15's)
    6 X T miles (6:10, 6:07, 6:09, 6:11, 6:09, 6:11)
    2 miles warm down (9:15's)

Total: 11 miles.

Thats a real tough session...well done

• Advertisement

12.2 miles at 7:42 pace. LSR tomorrow morning, then down to Wexford on Sunday for a look at eireman.

Advertisement