Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Person of the Year

• 10-02-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

People can vote here for the munster express waterford person of the year. Vote Eoin Hurley ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Not a very wide selection I would have thought: three hero types and a young sports star. Not even any sign of Mullane, Kelly, et. al. from the hurlers.

There must be other people achieving excellence as well, e.g. Keith Barry won mentalist of the year 2009 (though it was obviously based on last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

merlante wrote: »
    Not a very wide selection I would have thought: three hero types and a young sports star. Not even any sign of Mullane, Kelly, et. al. from the hurlers.

These guys are rightly excluded. They take plaudits all year round and they have their annual sports awards/allstars etc. anyway. The people listed are all unknowns to me but have all performed great feats far above those achieved on the hurling field yet have probably received little recognition and now is their chance. So well done to them.

EDIT: In fact the more I think about it the more annoyed I get that you would even compare hurlers, successful or not, to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

I agree; there are enough sports 'star' awards all year round.
    It is really nice to see a community type award for the ordinary people who have done extraordinary things - have to decide who to vote for now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Vote me, i made the zombie thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

These guys are rightly excluded. They take plaudits all year round and they have their annual sports awards/allstars etc. anyway. The people listed are all unknowns to me but have all performed great feats far above those achieved on the hurling field yet have probably received little recognition and now is their chance. So well done to them.

EDIT: In fact the more I think about it the more annoyed I get that you would even compare hurlers, successful or not, to these people.

Agreed. Absolutely absurd to put a mickey man like John Mullane in with these people. He's over rated enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

+1, the people above are those who overcame diversity or did something for people other than themselves. The sports stars may receive all the adulation and rightly so, but in the greater scheme of things they are nothing compared to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I know he's not on it and he probably would'nt want it but I think Dick Roche should be on it , whatever you think of his politics he's been at the forefront of the cancer campaign and now with the the Waterford Glass situation , not in anyway to play it down but all those people are equally deserving of this award and to put them up for a vote seems unfair imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

In light of how this country has been managed in recent times I could not imagine how any Fianna Fáil politician could count themselves as being worthy of anything other than contempt regardless of how they appear to stand on issues such as the cancer campaign.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

FF? People of the year?

I await somebody to tell me the joke.

The title is 'Waterford Person of the Year', not 'Bravest Waterford person of the year' or 'Unknown Waterford Person of the Year'. I think it would be a shame in one way if well known sports stars were in the running, since the popular vote would rate them far higher than unknowns, but at the same time, it's a bit of a joke if you include one achiever in sport, Eoin Hurley, and then don't include others, just because they are well known.

On the whole 'Bravest Waterford person of the year' type entrants, there are many brave people in Waterford, no doubt, that have put themselves at risk for others over the past year, that we will never hear about because the media never got hold of them. I could mention the long shifts of some doctors and nurses that give their jobs 110%, but I'm sure that would lead to general guffawing.

I suppose what I mean to say is that if unknowns-only and known life saving heroes-only are allowed a crack at the title of 'Waterford Person of the Year', then it's a bit of misnomer. Although I DO think that those short listed would be in with a good shout of winning the thing one way or the other because what they have done is admirable.

On a side note, I wouldn't diminish the good that well known, dedicated, achieving sports heroes have on the health and well being of the general public. e.g. the pride that Waterford and Irish people had watching John Treacy and Sean Kelly.

• Advertisement

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I don't know. Its not really a big deal. All I was saying was we praise the sports guys all year round, now it's time for the ordinary man and to put Eoin Kelly or John Mullane on that list would be embarassing. Overlook the 'Waterford Person of the Year' tag, you could replace it with anything like 'Outstanding Achievement' etc. As for doctors or nurses not being recognised, well if you know someone why not bring them to the media's attention? Rather than complaining about the list why not just try and enhance it.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I don't know. Its not really a big deal. All I was saying was we praise the sports guys all year round, now it's time for the ordinary man and to put Eoin Kelly or John Mullane on that list would be embarassing. Overlook the 'Waterford Person of the Year' tag, you could replace it with anything like 'Outstanding Achievement' etc. As for doctors or nurses not being recognised, well if you know someone why not bring them to the media's attention? Rather than complaining about the list why not just try and enhance it.

I disagree with you that putting sport stars on the list would somehow be embarassing for the title of 'Waterford person of the year' when there is already a sports star on the list, albeit a relatively unknown one. I'm not disagreeing totally with the spirit of what you're saying though -- sorry I can't give you a straight forward 'for or against your post' answer, but life is not back and white. Try reading my post if you want to know my views on the subject!

Now for my own personal, controversial opinion: I don't rate people who save lives much more than the average, *decent* man on the street. If I was in a position to save a life and had the ability to do so, I'd like to think I'd do my best. I think it would be pretty hard to stand there and do nothing actually. But again, that is *not* to denigrate the life savers on the list, they have actually done it. I would *personally* be most impressed by those who do continuous work in the community (such as the last guy on the list), because it is generally unrecognised. Such people do not do such work to be recognised. They do it because a life helping others is the sort of life they want to lead. I think you'd find that the people who do the most good are not the people who appear on these lists anyway, because they put themselves about quietly.

I think I'd ditch the tag and call it something else if you want to recognise local life saving and community heroes only, because 'Waterford person of the year', for me, encompasses any person who inspires people and makes Waterford people proud. Like it or not, the likes of Mullane, Kelly, Keith Barry, John O'Shea, Chris Doran a few years ago, and so on, do this. If you had a judging panel rather than a popular vote, you could actually include people like this and not have then overshadow community workers and life savers, because decisions would not be based on a popularity contest. It would also make the competition more prestigious and show ordinary people that they can inspire people as much as well know sports and entertainment stars.

Asking me to bring nurses or doctors I might know who have done a lot of good to media attention is a pretty trite comment. It's a discussion forum and I'm entitled to comment on topics that have been started -- even if you don't like it.

merlante wrote: »
    I disagree with you that putting sport stars on the list would somehow be embarassing for the title of 'Waterford person of the year' when there is already a sports star on the list, albeit a relatively unknown one. I'm not disagreeing totally with the spirit of what you're saying though -- sorry I can't give you a straight forward 'for or against your post' answer, but life is not back and white. Try reading my post if you want to know my views on the subject!

Now for my own personal, controversial opinion: I don't rate people who save lives much more than the average, *decent* man on the street. If I was in a position to save a life and had the ability to do so, I'd like to think I'd do my best. I think it would be pretty hard to stand there and do nothing actually. But again, that is *not* to denigrate the life savers on the list, they have actually done it. I would *personally* be most impressed by those who do continuous work in the community (such as the last guy on the list), because it is generally unrecognised. Such people do not do such work to be recognised. They do it because a life helping others is the sort of life they want to lead. I think you'd find that the people who do the most good are not the people who appear on these lists anyway, because they put themselves about quietly.

I think I'd ditch the tag and call it something else if you want to recognise local life saving and community heroes only, because 'Waterford person of the year', for me, encompasses any person who inspires people and makes Waterford people proud. Like it or not, the likes of Mullane, Kelly, Keith Barry, John O'Shea, Chris Doran a few years ago, and so on, do this. If you had a judging panel rather than a popular vote, you could actually include people like this and not have then overshadow community workers and life savers, because decisions would not be based on a popularity contest. It would also make the competition more prestigious and show ordinary people that they can inspire people as much as well know sports and entertainment stars.

Asking me to bring nurses or doctors I might know who have done a lot of good to media attention is a pretty trite comment. It's a discussion forum and I'm entitled to comment on topics that have been started -- even if you don't like it.

oh, ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

is sully not up for this? for moderating this forum and all his hard wor...... ah who am i kidding?

don't go banning me now, it was a joke

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    is sully not up for this? for moderating this forum and all his hard wor...... ah who am i kidding?

don't go banning me now, it was a joke

They asked. Sure I had to refuse, for your sake if anything. ;)

Lets keep it on topic anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think it should be me because im great! And i only have 1 arm, i lost the other one in THE GREAT WAR!

Ah seriously faired use to all the people in this thing, they should all get a medal or a hug at least from someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Maybe Brendan McCann should be on it:rolleyes:

faired use to all the people in this thing

Is this one of those times where you think people have been using a certain phrase all your life but then you realise you had it wrong all along? :D

Fair dues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Is this one of those times where you think people have been using a certain phrase all your life but then you realise you had it wrong all along? :D

Fair dues!

:o and here I was thinking people said fair juice :D

trishw78 wrote: »
    :o and here I was thinking people said fair juice :D

Some people use fair deuce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Vote Nicky Power

Advertisement