Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remixes. WTF?

• 10-02-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Lately I've been busily tracking down digital copies of my old record collection and reminded of the whole mix/remix issue that used to annoy me back when I was buying records. Lately I think of the name of a track, find it, download it, listen to it, then think "that sounds nothing like what I was looking for!".

In my buying days I'd pick up a bunch of records in Abbey Discs and bring them home for a spin only to be back in a few days later to return one or two.

Do the producers of the original work never raise an eyebrow when they ask someone to do a mix, then get back what is basically a completely, and I mean completely, different track? Like the remixer just had one of his own tracks lying around and sent it back regardless.

Is this still the case? I sold my decks a good ten years ago so my finger is pretty far from the pulse of modern dance music.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have never really had that issue tbh, I've never really been into any scene that releases a multitude of remixes of one song... There's usually just the original and then a remix or second original track on the flip, so it's kind of hard to get confused by it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

milltown wrote: »
    Lately I've been busily tracking down digital copies of my old record collection and reminded of the whole mix/remix issue that used to annoy me back when I was buying records. Lately I think of the name of a track, find it, download it, listen to it, then think "that sounds nothing like what I was looking for!".

In my buying days I'd pick up a bunch of records in Abbey Discs and bring them home for a spin only to be back in a few days later to return one or two.

Do the producers of the original work never raise an eyebrow when they ask someone to do a mix, then get back what is basically a completely, and I mean completely, different track? Like the remixer just had one of his own tracks lying around and sent it back regardless.

Is this still the case? I sold my decks a good ten years ago so my finger is pretty far from the pulse of modern dance music.
    funnily enough I got a remix back yesterday that sounds nothing like the original. But I friggin love it, so it's definitely going out on the release!

I see what you're saying though. I think it's just important to always remember tracks as either 'original mix' or 'whatever remix'. saves confusion in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Obviously knowing exactly what you're after is the way to go but not always easy if you just heard it on the radio or as part of a set.

Anyway, the bulk of my post was just anecdotal, this was the bit I thought might merit discussion:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Obviously knowing exactly what you're after is the way to go but not always easy if you just heard it on the radio or as part of a set.

Anyway, the bulk of my post was just anecdotal, this was the bit I thought might merit discussion:
    its not really down to the producer,its down to the label.ive done remixes that havent sounded remotely like the original,but thats the point right.i always use at least 1 element(vocal,bassline or whatever)
    sometimes the song your asked to remix isnt that good and rather than just rehash and rearrange some already bad material i make a totally different track so i can disatnce my remix from the original but still have 1 or 2 elements of the original in there

Advertisement