Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Australia - Came home early - Anyway back?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

From all the research/reading I have done, the answer to my question seems to be no but I just want to get some feedback/suggestions.

My Girlfriend went to Oz last year on a 12month WHV but only stayed 3 months (and did not work).

Now I have my WHV and we'd like to go to Oz together for a year to start (and possibly stay) and both work there.

Is there anyway that my girlfriend can get another Visa or claim back the 9 months she didn't use at least?

All help appreciated!

Thanks,

iRock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

When did she enter Australia? Is it more than 12 months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm guessing 12 months have passed since she first entered Australia.

As far as I know there is no way to get a second holiday visa outside of the rural work stuff. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe look in to New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Yeah she entered Australia 13 months ago.

Yep, we were thinking of New Zealand ... but still unsure. What is it like as an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Did you see "Nothing to Declare" on Friday?

Some guy from N.I. had managed to get a second W.H.V. by using another passport (he had both an Irish and UK one) , but was stopped at immigration and immediately deported.

He had only been in Australia for 3 weeks last time and hadn't worked, but they are very strict on this type of visa.

I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

jahalpin wrote: »
    Did you see "Nothing to Declare" on Friday?

Some guy from N.I. had managed to get a second W.H.V. by using another passport (he had both an Irish and UK one) , but was stopped at immigration and immediately deported.

He had only been in Australia for 3 weeks last time and hadn't worked, but they are very strict on this type of visa.

I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks the the advice man!

I was hoping that there was a legal way though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

iRock wrote: »
    Thanks the the advice man!

I was hoping that there was a legal way though?

No. No way, unless she just wants a 3 month holiday visa, then you go to NZ
    and as an alternative, NZ is a great country, but nothing like Aus at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

Your GF should have 9 months on her visa she can use to work. Best she ring the aussie embassy.

all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm not sure if thats true. In fact, i think its completely wrong. You only get the one Visa. she got hers and its expired. It doesnt pause while ur out of the country. its keeps going. Your gf doesnt have a chance of getting a second WHV. BEst she can get is a holiday visa or one of the more long term residency ones.

Im over here with my gf and its a good laugh. Both have WHV. im in IT and shes working cash in hand in cafes for the last while. Coz im payin tax, and shes not, it would appear that im in the country and shes not. at the end of the year, both of our visas will still expire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Hi

Your GF should have 9 months on her visa she can use to work. Best she ring the aussie embassy.

all the best

Wrong. Your visa is for one year from the date you enter Australia. Not for one year spent in Australia.
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    Im over here with my gf and its a good laugh. Both have WHV. im in IT and shes working cash in hand in cafes for the last while. Coz im payin tax, and shes not, it would appear that im in the country and shes not. at the end of the year, both of our visas will still expire.

It actually looks like your girlfriend isn't working in the country. I'm pretty sure they still think she is in the country due to the fact they have no record of her leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I left Australia for 6 weeks during my WHV and on return reclaimed the six weeks. However things could have changed.

But in my case I was within the initial 12 months, this could well have changed http://www.immi.gov.au or the embassy will clear this up for you as I said before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

iRock wrote: »
    My Girlfriend went to Oz last year on a 12month WHV but only stayed 3 months (and did not work).

Is there anyway that my girlfriend can get another Visa or claim back the 9 months she didn't use at least?

the 9 months is not an option. the only way she could get a second visa is by claiming to have worked for those 3 months on a farm or other approved workplace in rural australia. if she lies without supporting documentation or a rural farmer willing to lie for her, her application might be refused. if it's the last option, it's not the worst way to go. a lot of people use "friendly farmers" who will say that they worked for the 3 months without payment, just room and board. it works for a lot of people but there is always a chance you'll get caught.

Advertisement