Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe a coincedence...

Options
  • 10-02-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

But since setting up the wifi network in my college (tcd), I swear my home wifi, eircom, has been much, much slower. I haven't changed any eircom settings, in fact I've actually removed the tcd wifi connection to see if it made any difference and it hasn't. Just a slow few days for eircom or has setting up another connection fecked up the eircom one?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

But since setting up the wifi network in my college (tcd), I swear my home wifi, eircom, has been much, much slower. I haven't changed any eircom settings, in fact I've actually removed the tcd wifi connection to see if it made any difference and it hasn't. Just a slow few days for eircom or has setting up another connection fecked up the eircom one?

If you're on the older default Eircom settings it's wide open, so someone else may be using it. Test with the encryption deactivated entirely and then with WPA instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

My connection is personally password-protected, though, would this not prevent people hacking in and using it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My connection is personally password-protected, though, would this not prevent people hacking in and using it?

There's no such thing as unbreakable security. WEP can be very easily broken. WPA can, but it requires a good bit more effort, enough to make it too awkward for all but the most determined.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In these situations you have to be methodical.

First connect your laptop by ethernet to the modem/router and see what the performance is like - this should tell you whether its the eircom connection or if the wireless is the thing that's slowing it down.

Have you checked to see if you have picked up any viruses etc?

Also try changing wireless channels and also make sure you are using wpa security as advised earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

Okay, I've somewhat narrowed down the problem.

The wifi is only slow with Firefox. It runs at normal high speed using IE.

However, it only started running slowly since setting up the new network on my laptop.

I've efficient anti-virus and anti-spyware software (AVG and Spybot, respectively) and they're not detecting anything.

I know it sounds odd, but it's DEFINITELY something to do with Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am very disappointed with the latest editions of Firefox. For example I cannot get it to close cleanly and have to go into processes and shut it down manually:( And there are some sites which previously operated fine with it but which it just doesn't like anymore.

As a matter of interest does Firefox work ok when you use it in college or via ethernet?

Okay, I've somewhat narrowed down the problem.

The wifi is only slow with Firefox. It runs at normal high speed using IE.

However, it only started running slowly since setting up the new network on my laptop.

I've efficient anti-virus and anti-spyware software (AVG and Spybot, respectively) and they're not detecting anything.

I know it sounds odd, but it's DEFINITELY something to do with Firefox.

Do you have any proxies set?

Advertisement