Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Soda Bread - Carb Content?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I eat a lot of the above - Superquinn's in-house Soda Bread - as, well, it tastes pretty good, is filling, and seems a fairly healthy choice as a bread.

But, as I'm trying to bulk up a bit, I want to be sure I'm getting enough carbs across the day.

From what I read on various packaged breads, carb contents vary hugely - I've seen anything from 35-65Gs per 100Gs.

Based on packaged bread contents and what those breads are like in texture/taste/density etc, I guestimate the Superquinn in-house soda to be about 60%.

I was just wondering if anyone happened to know the actual figures?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quoi? wrote: »
    From what I read on various packaged breads, carb contents vary hugely - I've seen anything from 35-65Gs per 100Gs.
    Are you sure you were looking at per 100g, and not per portions? 35% seems extremely low.

I would just go with the most similar brand you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Yep, 100% certain I was looking at per 100Gs. I never use "per serving" as my serving is almost always at least double the recommended serving.

For E.g. Brennan's Wholegrain loaf is only 41%.

Its logical if you think about it/compare it to other cooked grains:

For e.g. If I cook 125Gs of Organic Longgrain Wholegrain/Brown rice, (which takes ~30-40mins) it weighs about 300Gs+ when cooked! - which is about 33% Carb content - 100Gs(the rice is labelled as 81%) in 300Gs cooked weight.

Right, I think I had ryvitas & flour in mind, these are pretty much bone dry and ~67% carbs, so I should have really been saying 65% is the high end. Dry porridge oats are around the same. So really you should compare with other breads that are like it, i.e. same sort of moisture content.

If you want to be overly exact about things you could dry it out. I had a hobby which involved knowing exact moisture content of grains, I would dry them out in an oven.

e.g. if you had 100g of bread and dried it out and it weighed 50g then you know 50g/50% was water. Now most flour is around 10% moisture itself. So if you can add 10% onto that figure of 50g to get roughly 60g of flour used in the loaf, of which about 66% is carbs, so 60gx66%=40g carbs per 100g wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Hmmm... never considered that - with the oven.
    How long would that actually take though?? & What sort of temperature would be necessary?

I guess toasting would do this partially, no?

After cooking something and it is just turned off you could throw it in and leave it overnight. Toasting should do the same I suppose. It was important for me to know when I did it as it was more of a scientific experiment. I wouldn't worry too much about it for food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement