Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Irish mobile cells masts : ids & locations

• 10-02-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,

does anyone have a list of O2 / all mobile providers cell tower id's and their location ( gps or Irish national grid ) ?

I'm just playing with some java development tools and can get the
    "MCC, MNC, LAC and cell id".
    Which basically means country, network provider, LAC which is some location id (doesn't seem to change between Lucan and Dublin city centre), and the mobile cell id my phone is communicating with.

Would be nice to have a list of cell id's and locations, as a sort of poor man's GPS system.

I see that ComReg has a utility... Link

but no way of downloading the entire list and saving it for easy lookup on a phone mobile.

cheers,
    CD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Do not place too much trust in that ComReg site as AFAIK it is very much out of date, any new sites put up by the networks in the last few months are not on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Google Maps for mobile already does this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Have you got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Walkman wrote:
    Do not place too much trust in that ComReg site as AFAIK it is very much out of date, any new sites put up by the networks in the last few months are not on the map

Cheers, yeah, I have 2 cell id's and they're not being found.
    At least now I know it's probably not my fault.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    I know they have a new "latitude" service out.

Although I prefer MGMaps Link
    Mainly cos I can download the large sections of map data in advance on the PC, copy it to my phone and not have to worry about data download charges as the map tiles are pre-cached.
    ( I have all of Dublin down to street level on my phone in approx 73mb)

I suspect that Google maps will have some form of online service which your mobile calls to get the location, as opposed to a list stored on the phone.

This is purely a development exercise, no serious application, just experimenting. For anyone that's interested, on a Sony K800 you can write some simple J2ME code to retrieve the following

// country code
    String mcc = System.getProperty("com.sonyericsson.net.mcc");
    // country network provider
    String mnc = System.getProperty("com.sonyericsson.net.mnc");
    // location area code
    String lac = System.getProperty("com.sonyericsson.net.lac");
    // cell id
    String cellid = System.getProperty("com.sonyericsson.net.cellid");

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

http://www.google.com/mobile/nokia_standard/maps.html

if your phone doesn't have GPS, it will use your current cell-id for your approximate location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zionist

I have all the long and lats of o2 and voda masts PM me and I will send them on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement