Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piebald Jackdaw

• 10-02-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Well folks. Hi have been watching this piebald jackdaw the last few months around the estate were my girlfriend lives. I been keeping an eye out for him and i have seen him about 6 or times so far always picking on the grass beside the road and once i have even seen him down town eating chips off the footpath. What amazes me is everytime i try to take a picture of the fella he flys off. He is fantastically marked black and white all over and its very rare that you see a jackdaw or any other member of the crow family marked this way.

Have any of you bird watchers out there seen a piebald or completlty white jackdaw, blackbird or crow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a Leucistic Crow. Nice to see one though they are not uncommon. You'll find similar among Blackbirds. If it was all white it could be either Leucistic or Albino.

Leucism is a condition whereby the pigmentation cells in an animal or bird fail to develop properly. This can result in unusual white patches appearing on the animal, or, more rarely, completely white creatures.

Albinism is a different condition. The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is that in albinism the eyes are usually pink or red, and albinism affects the entire animal, not just patches.

Advertisement