Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now they want to take away our minimum wage

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

BBC also have a much wider service. They don't just have 2stations. Every region in the UK has it's own BBC regional channel - Wales and Scotland have their own channel, as does London I think.

I don't see why RTE can't be run soley from the lisence fee.

This is an important point.

BBC offer regional channels along with the 4 main channels and at least BBC and BBC are available in HD too. These are also free to air on satellite and RTE isn't which is disgraceful considering the public pay for this service already. If I live in a poor coverage area then why should I have to pay for Sky or Cable to get it when I pay a license fee? It should be free to air.

BBC radio offerings are also cover more markets than our state radio channels.

RTE use every attempt to make money and I don't have a problem with the ads TBH, I'd take them over the license fee anyday. A license fee which has risen sharply in recent years even though our population has expanded massively during the housing boom.

RTE are very poor value for money IMO and all the above ignores the fact that I don't even watch the thing most of the time because most of the shows are crap especially the home grown stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

taram wrote: »
    I work in a shoe shop and we all get paid 9.09+ an hour, regardless of our contracts/ages/sales skills which is bollocks. Three of us are full time, fully trained, and have 2+ years of retail experience and we get paid the exact same as the 16 year old gob****es who drink in the stockroom on a Sunday and they get paid double for it! Similarly we had a girl out "sick" with suspicious doctors notes and was seen out clubbing etc and she got full pay for 3 months. It's retailers who need to take a long look at where their funds are going, they're the ones paying out, not the government.

And yes, I'd be better off on the dole, but would be miserable.

You get €354 a week, the dole is €207 a week. No you wouldn't be better off on the dole. If you really think you will be, i'll trade places with ya. How about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

You get €354 a week, the dole is €207 a week. No you wouldn't be better off on the dole. If you really think you will be, i'll trade places with ya. How about that?

don't tempt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

did you include rent allowance? as even this on it's own can be higher than 200 per week...

zreba wrote: »
    did you include rent allowance? as even this on it's own can be higher than 200 per week...

No, rent allowance isn't job seekers allowance, is it? And people on minimum wage can claim it too. So too can they apply for a medical card fuel allowance etc etc. So no, it shouldn't be counted. In my case it would only be 30 euro, but I can do without it so I didn't apply for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BBC also have a much wider service. They don't just have 2stations. Every region in the UK has it's own BBC regional channel - Wales and Scotland have their own channel, as does London I think.

I don't see why RTE can't be run soley from the lisence fee.

So, if you include Scotland and Wales, they have maybe 10-12 times more licence payers? I'm not saying that the service from RTE is particularly good, but I just don't think you are comparing like with like.

No, rent allowance isn't job seekers allowance, is it? And people on minimum wage can claim it too. So too can they apply for a medical card fuel allowance etc etc. So no, it shouldn't be counted. In my case it would only be 30 euro, but I can do without it so I didn't apply for it.

in my opinion those unemployment benefits etc are kind of fair now, you need to pay PRSI for at least to years prior to applying for it, and the period which you'll be getting paid is also limited.

I think the main issue here is a large rent allowance, and this is main factor why people can say, that it's not worth to work for them as they can live life on sililar level getting those benefits only.

I'm not saying that the government should not help some people with accomodation, but it can be done in different way - people on rent allowance should not live in similar level houses as I do paying a big part of my salary for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

Who is going to want to work for 40 hours a week and make less than minimum wage, at that rate you'd be making very little more than you would on the dole. Surely it would make more sense to make a maximum wage, €50 an hour, would save employers far more money! It's not the people who are making minimum wage who are putting companies of staying in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

We are nearly bankrupt, and our social welfare bill is rocketing, we need people back to work, and off the State's teat. Reducing the minimum wage is a quick way to create a load of new jobs, by making it cheaper to employ people.

True.

The silly govt should not have increased the minimum wage to the unsustainable level its at now.

I think what the top politicians, bankers, civil servants, ESB etc is on is a lot more of a crime though.

in my opinion those unemployment benefits etc are kind of fair now, you need to pay PRSI for at least to years prior to applying for it, and the period which you'll be getting paid is also limited.

I think the main issue here is a large rent allowance, and this is main factor why people can say, that it's not worth to work for them as they can live life on sililar level getting those benefits only.

I'm not saying that the government should not help some people with accomodation, but it can be done in different way - people on rent allowance should not live in similar level houses as I do paying a big part of my salary for rent.

Should a person be moved from his/her home because they are on welfare? Welfare isn't as easy as you think to get, nor are any of the other benifits, actually getting the medical card is pretty straight forward once you are on social welfare.

People don't get the full amount which they rent accomadation for, I think it's 50% or something. Not 100% on that though. Feul allowance is only 18 euro a week or there abouts.

• Advertisement

Should a person be moved from his/her home because they are on welfare?
    I don't think you can get a rent allowance if you have your own house...

and if they rent one and cannot aford to do so any more - of course they should be moved out to a cheaper place
    People don't get the full amount which they rent accomadation for, I think it's 50% or something. Not 100% on that though. Feul allowance is only 18 euro a week or there abouts.

I think they need to contribute, but in proportions like 50eur from them to 1000 from social welfare

I don't think you can get a rent allowance if you have your own house...

and if they rent one and cannot aford to do so any more - of course they should be moved out to a cheaper place

I think they need to contribute, but in proportions like 50eur from them to 1000 from social welfare

I don't think you really thought about your statement. Ok firstly I said home, not house. You know the differance? It's pretty horrible to move someone out of their home, if they are renting there for years and years, it wouldn't be fair. I wouldn't think the council would evict someone from one of their houses, now if it was private they would have to apply for rent allowance which a huge amount of landlords do not provide. I don't know if they are allowed do that or not.

Moving a family out of a home like that is not so simple. It really isn't. Anyone know anyone that gets 1K a month rent allowance? I think you would find that to be pretty rare, it's a huge amount. If someone were to get that, plus feul allowance, free transport and a medical card, then they would be way better off on the dole. You will find that is not the case.

If someone has a mortgage to pay they will fight that battle in the courts, they will get a good bit of time to sort the mess out, them things are quite slow. Judges can also be leniant, if you go to court and tell him/her your story and why you cannot pay then you might be alright for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Full time for us is actually 30 hours, so that's 273 euro a week, after I pay tax, my 25 euro for my DPS card, and transport, yes, I probably would be better off on dole. But I'd go mad :P

this dole mullarkey sound like a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Full time for us is actually 30 hours, so that's 273 euro a week, after I pay tax, my 25 euro for my DPS card, and transport, yes, I probably would be better off on dole. But I'd go mad :P

You get taxed on making that much?how much tax exactly do you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

this dole mullarkey sound like a good job.

The money's not great but the hours are handy! :D

A €7 min wage will only make more people unwilling to work for such a 'low' wage. Leading to more people signing on. Lose-lose imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

jackncoke wrote: »
    You get taxed on making that much?how much tax exactly do you pay?

It would be about a tener or so tax. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the thing that all these judgemental bourgeois speaking from their own wallets in this thread have missed. It's damn near impossible to find and keep a 40hour a week job on minimum wage. A minimum wage job isn't just a job that you get the min wage for. It's a job you're highly exploited in, as I've said in another post, you'll be on an 8 hour (or less) contract and then you'll be called in it if's busy or to cover sickies.

JennyAnt wrote: »
    The money's not great but the hours are handy! :D

A €7 min wage will only make more people unwilling to work for such a 'low' wage. Leading to more people signing on. Lose-lose imo.

Don't know worry, it will be lowered shortly I'm sure (the dole that is).

thebman wrote: »
    Don't know worry, it will be lowered shortly I'm sure (the dole that is).

Not without a fucking fight it wont

thats what the hard working public servants said............mmmm........prepare to roll over

• Advertisement

Not without a fucking fight it wont

The cost of living is coming down so the dole must too.

It isn't rocket science.

BTW I'll be on the dole in about 2 weeks so I'm not just saying this from a secure position.

It has to come down and it will come down and its going to hurt like hell.

I hope everyone takes it out on FF in the next election TBH since they have overseen this entire mess.

thats what the hard working public servants said............mmmm........prepare to roll over

No.
    thebman wrote: »
    The cost of living is coming down so the dole must too.

It isn't rocket science.

BTW I'll be on the dole in about 2 weeks so I'm not just saying this from a secure position.

It has to come down and it will come down and its going to hurt like hell.

I hope everyone takes it out on FF in the next election TBH since they have overseen this entire mess.

Prove to me how the cost of living is coming down. Cost of bus fare is going up, has the cost of home heating come down ? Has the cost of food come down ?

Cost of living doesn't "go down". It's against the fundamentals of capitalism - don't let people away with anything for free.

No.

Prove to me how the cost of living is coming down. Cost of bus fare is going up, has the cost of home heating come down ? Has the cost of food come down ?

Cost of living doesn't "go down". It's against the fundamentals of capitalism - don't let people away with anything for free.

It is coming down, we have negative inflation. The price of houses has collapsed, interest rates are down, home heating oil is actually down.

Food is down if you shop in the right places etc... Petrol prices are down.

Mostly public services/semi-state or government sponsored companies have increased their charges.

The private sector is reducing prices in a lot of areas.

Cheers Minister, I'm retarded now am I ?

@thebman, very well, I should've been more clear with what I was trying to say. A company will still want to keep their profit margins. Just because someone's just lost their job and are getting Social Welfare payments doesn't mean that it's now cheaper or easier for them to survive.

Advertisement