Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup has worms

Options
  • 10-02-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hi all,

my girlfriends pup has worms, how do i know this for sure you ask!! because he just puked up on the floor and it looked like something from an alien film with the 'worms' wriggling around it the puke. lucky the gf is at work because this would have been a pretty traumatic experience. he was at the vet a few weeks ago and i am almost sure he was wormed then, will find out for sure when she comes home. anyways how do dogs get worms? what kind of worms are they?

meant to ask, do i need to bring him to the vet or do i just get tablets for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

All pups are born with worms and should be wormed regularly, afaik it's every two weeks. Talk to your vet about the right dose. They can be cleared up easy enough but if they are not dealt with, worms can make a small pup very sick and weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You can get the worming tablets in the chemist btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Humans can catch worms off dogs and cats so keep your nails short and clean and wash them after handling the puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

All pups get worms, it is just part of nature, they usually pick them up from their enviornment and often from their mother's coat or bedding.
    it is essential that you treat them today as they are very bad and will Kill your pup if left untreated. the fact that you can see them in his puke is not a good sign. the Good news is they are very treatable.
    Just go to your local Chemist and ask for a puppy wormer.
    I used to breed pups and worming is always essential.
    Wormer is available in liquid or Tablet, personally i prefer the liquid as you can be sure the pup swollows it.
    you can take him to your Vet if unsure abut this is expensive and ot necessary.
    And you will need to worm him regularly (every 2 to 3 weeks to start) just use the guide lines on what ever bottle you get.

Ask the Chemist to recommend one, I forget the one i used (some thing beginng with P)
    good luck with the treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thanks for all the replies, google told me there was a vet down at the shops and the girl there gave me two tabs. i dusted them up and mixed them with a pouch of pup food so hopefully that should sort him for another 3/4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How old is the pup? Up till 12 weeks of age, they should be wormed every 2 weeks, then every month until they're 6 months old.

not too sure, he is older than 12 weeks anyways. will bring him back in a month anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

hi, all ups are born with worms as they are transfered from the mother, a pup should be wormed every three weeks untill the pup is 12 weeks old after that, the dog should be wormed every 3 months,

as a pup you should be given a liquid solution cant remember the name of the top of my head, but once its 12 weeks i recomend frontline spot on it does for worms and fleas and it is a simple droplet of solution on the back of the neck

I would get a worm treatment as soon as possible as it seems the pup has a bad case of worms which could be very bad for its health

im happy to help if there are any more qusetions

thanks for all the replies. the day after i gave him the tabs the gf decided to bring him to the vet just for a check-up, she said to worm him again in two weeks and monthly after that. its funny all the different advice out there.

one other thing, he keeps bringing in small stones from the garden and is trying to chew them and play with them, this anything to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He could be in big trouble if he accidentally swallows one of the stones and can't pass it out the other end! Plus chewing on stones will wear down a dog's teeth - it's really not a habit you want to encourage. Take the stones away from him when he brings them in, and give him a more interesting toy to play with and chew on. He's more likely to be in to a given toy if you play with it with him, rather than just giving it to him to play with on his own, if that makes sense?

Also FYI Frontline does not treat worms, it only treats fleas and ticks. Same with Advantage and ProMeris. If you want a "spot on" product that treats all the parasites - fleas, ticks, mites and worms - the only one that'll do the trick is Advocate.

BUT Advocate does not treat tapeworm! If the dog is passing tapeworms, then you need to use a tablet like Drontal or Milbemax. (Tapeworms look very different to roundworms - they are flat and segmented, whereas roundworms look more like spaghetti!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement