Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website not comatible with Ie6

Options
  • 10-02-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I've been designing a website for a company and just found out that they run Internet Exploere 6 exclusively, and that a lot of my site looks crap on that, specificaly tables,

the site works fine on firefox or IE7,

where could I go about fixing this? or making it compatible?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

learn good practices, ditch the tables and test, fix, test, fix, test some more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

how can i ditch tables, what would I use instead?

The problem is I can't even get IE6 working on vista so I hav eno idea what is going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

how can i ditch tables, what would I use instead?
    CSS.
    The problem is I can't even get IE6 working on vista so I hav eno idea what is going wrong.
    Try getting screenshots via IE NetRenderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You'll just have to test it, tweak it, adjust it and see how you get on. Learning about the differences in web browsers is an important part of being a designer. All websites should be compatible with IE6. It's the most popular browser in use.

Microsoft have a free virtual image of XP running IE6 that you can use for testing purposes. Just download the image and a free copy of Virtual PC and you can test it.

Info here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-and-ie7-running-on-a-single-machine.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

One of my main sites .. IE is just under 68% of users

IE6 is 34% of that ... so thats about 23% of all users to the site using IE6 ... a please upgrade message doesn't cut it ..

(damn I should probably go check some of my sites for IE6 compatability) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

also, the amount of business' that still use ie6 in their offices would be a much higher percentage, while 20% seems the norm for a general statistic, if your target is a business I would guess that the percentage will be significantly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I once used a set ie7 javascript hacks to fix browser compatibility issues, it might be worth a try. although if your trouble is with tables I'd agree that you're best off ditching them and using CSS...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi,
    So I've been designing a website for a company and just found out that they run Internet Exploere 6 exclusively, and that a lot of my site looks crap on that, specificaly tables...
    Specifically, what table issues are you having?
    (Not) stretching, widths, padding? Are you using any CSS at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I use Multiple IE to work through cross browser problems with my CSS. I can only imagine how hard it'd be to fix using tables and no css!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

John_Mc wrote: »
    I use Multiple IE to work through cross browser problems with my CSS. I can only imagine how hard it'd be to fix using tables and no css!
    +1 for Multiple IE, handy tool, don't know if it works on Vista though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

CuLT wrote: »
    +1 for Multiple IE, handy tool, don't know if it works on Vista though.

Nope. You'll need the disc image p linked to to get ie6 working in vista. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I think the first thing to do is explain to your client that they should upgrade their browsers for security and performance reasons.

However that doesn't really leave you off the hook in that unless you stipulated in your contract that your base level of IE compatibility is IE7 then you need to make it work with IE6 which is arguably the most troublesome browser to work with in terns of css compatibility.

In my own experience IE6 usage is declining very quickly but it still repersents a large number of internet users, too large to ignore at this point.

On one of my client's sites (business oriented) the usage of IE is at 66.8% and within that IE6 is at 22.3% which is a big decline from 3 months ago.

In terms of testing there are plenty of options as mentioned above. Another one is Litmus which is a paid services but they are now offering free access at the weekends if you want to burn the midnight oil.

http://litmusapp.com/blog/free-weekends-february

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Nope. You'll need the disc image p linked to to get ie6 working in vista. Pain in the hole.
    Try this:
    http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

It's vista compatible. I just heard about it today, so I haven't played with it much yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

squibs wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks very much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

heggie wrote: »
    learn good practices, ditch the tables and test, fix, test, fix, test some more
    Sometimes tables can be the most efficient and most compatible solution. Perhaps when the Grids in IE8 become more standardised it will be time to drop tables completely.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

jmcc wrote: »
    Sometimes tables can be the most efficient and most compatible solution. Perhaps when the Grids in IE8 become more standardised it will be time to drop tables completely.
    Regards...jmcc
    That statement hasn't really been true for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Tables are great for tabular data! :)

Regarding, that ietester thing I linked to earlier, it seems to be using ie8 beta 2 as the rendering engine, and that seems to be very different to the RC1 rendering engine as featured on http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

Testing a few of my sites, they look fine on net renderer, but come over all Andy Warhol with IE tester. Can anybody verify big differences between the two? I'm either going to be very busy or very quiet when IE8 hits...

Advertisement