Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help! Renting problem

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem, well a BIG problem :eek:. I am due to start renting a house in two weeks & the deposit of €1200. No lease has yet been signed. The guy I was moving with has lost his job & will be moving home so I am now stuck with trying to find 2 people rather than just one extra which could be difficult. Where do I stand with getting my deposit back considering no lease has been signed & nothing was signed when the deposit was paid?

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

no lease no contract.

no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

So the landlord has to give it all back??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

So the landlord has to give it all back??

yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I'd imagine it is basic theft if they don't. Say you will bring them to the Garda is they refuse to pay.

"He took my €1,200 and won't give it back"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your payment may amount to a booking deposit and might not be refundable. I suggest you either try to find two people quickly or talk to the landlord and explain the situation and ask nicely for your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

The question is how many possible new tenents has he turned down/refused since he thought you were takeing it on,he will surely have to be compensated somehow for this,if i was you i would ask him/her very very nicely if he could do something for you

If there is nothing in writing or now agreement signed how can it be decided if the money was a 'booking deposit' or just 'cash'? Surely, legally, the landlord has no right to hold onto the money when no lease has been signed?

thetyreman wrote: »
    The question is how many possible new tenents has he turned down/refused since he thought you were takeing it on,he will surely have to be compensated somehow for this,if i was you i would ask him/her very very nicely if he could do something for you

If he turned down so many he will have no problem letting it again & won;t loose any money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We wee never asked for the deposit etc until the day we collected the keys and signed the lease.

Did you see this news item?

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/mhsnideymhey/

Advertisement