Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Land Planning Permission

• 10-02-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    First time I've posted here, it was recommended to me by a friend in work. Basically where my familys home is there is a lot of land of land behind it, think approx 7 fields of land with 2 lanes side by side going up there from the road.

I went to a pre-planning meeting, and they said I couldnt build behind my parents house, i'd have to go one field back as it would be considered back land. Thats no problem, the lane goes right the way up the back. Gravel it up, make a lovely nice long driveway.

Now, they have called me and said that no, it would all be considered back land, its not proper planning and it sets a precedent for others in the area to try and do the same. Even though the lane goes straight into the field, no where near anyone elses house so its not directly behind anyone, there are fields in between and a lot of trees.

So basically, what I want to ask you guys is if you think that is the end of it, I can't go any further and should give up trying to get planning permission?

The way the economy is now, its cheaper to build and I already have land belong to my family. I'm quite gutted they are now saying no :(

Would greatly appreciate any advise!

Kind regards,
    Claire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The guys on the construction and planning forum might be able to help out better than here. Maybe you could PM one of the mods here to move this topic to there?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Consider it done.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I've had a client suffer on this issue before and unfortunately for you I think that the planners have definite way of assessing each situation based on adherance to the relevant county development plan (not sure where you are).
    In saying that I would not stop there in your pursuit, you seem to know what you are talking about so don't take this the wrong way but did you hire/consult with an experienced professional (Arch/Arch Tech/Eng) in this field from your location. In my experience Planners can sometimes paint issues as cut and dry when talking to the lay person whereas a lot of the time there is scope for an argument to be built by a professional based on the same rules and regulations that the planners use, familarity with the local planning set-up is essential to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

ok, hold on.

I am currently in the further information (and its just a few points to clear up) for the same thing.

My parents house is at the front, and at the side of there plot there is an agri entrance, so I am using that, my house will go approx 420 meters back from the home house.

I was told that if my house could be seen from the home house it would be considered back lands,

I do not have this problem, as my site is separated by hedge and hills.

you cannot see my site at all from the road, My parents are on the road side and Im (way back there, as the sisters would say)

Planning is through, and im in further info, and everything is grand. . . just a few minor things the engineer has to submit.

can your site be seen from the main road/parents house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A negative opinion of a planning officer is not a rubber stamped refusal just as a positive pre planning meeting is not a guarantee of getting planning, but it should be a good indicator of the way the planners will decide.

To answer your question, it is not necessarily the end of the line. But to save you making a costly application I think you might get results from the following:

a) Study your development plan in detail, especialy the parts about policies on rural housing and genuine housing needs.

b) Make lots of notes about how you fit the appropriate categories.

c) Descride a dwelling that is sympathetic with the site, landscaping and other housing in the area.

d) Bring all your family, relations and friends who are living in the locality into your reasons for living at that particular site, and make your reasons specific to that site.

e) Refer to the particular field as your site, never refer to backland development, be positive, always refer to ...when I am building here....or....when I am living here.....my children will go to the same school as I did....etc., etc.

f) Go meet with a local Technician or Architect who should help you with your presentation.

g) Make a fresh appointment with a planner or senior officer for a pre planning meeting.

h) You get one good shot at it, so make the best of it.

You might get a positive result, if not at least you will know you gave it your very best shot.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Phyrea

Thanks for your comments.

We have not yet met with any professionals, as we were advised to show the site to the pre-planner first to see if it would be feasible. Which obviously, he orginally got our hopes up, then thought better of it.

To answer the first, no, not a hope the site would be seen from the road it is way way back, No hills in the way but plenty of trees and distance, with a clear entrance from the road, that we would then have to extend a tiny bit in order for it to reach the second field up back.

At least all hope is not lost, and after your comments I am going to see if I can talk to an architect who might be able to come up with ideas for us. The county development plan doesn't come out as far as where I'd be, so we should be fine that way.

I'm in Co.Kilkenny, and my family have lived on this road since they were born so I would definately push that point if I get anywhere with this.

I didnt realise it could be so stressful before I even got started :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Phyrea wrote: »
    .....The county development plan doesn't come out as far as where I'd be....

The county development plan covers the entire county and while your area may not be on the zoned maps attached to the development plan, there are entire sections on guidelines to rural development, genuine housing needs, sympathetic rural design and landscaping which will be of huge importance for your next meeting.

I don't mean to preach to you but it is very important that you come across in the council meeting as passionate towards your own development and that you need the development, after all if you are indifferent towards the proposed development, the planners will be even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phyrea

I'm not indifferent I can assure you that, just completely clueless :) I've obviously never done this before and didn't want to just accept what I'm being told by the pre-planner. In these situations the best weaponry is knowledge I guess and to know as much as possible.

Advertisement