Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Office Setup?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hello All,

I'm trying to setup a proper wireless network here in the office.

It will just be for internet browsing for guests, so doesn't need to be heavily blocked down as it will not be connected to our wired network.

We currently have a wireless router but the signal is not great from it and the router does not allow you to change the antenna.

Can you recommend a setup and equipment for this network?

Have been looking to get a wireless N router with adsl in it but no-one seems to do a reliable one of these. Am i better to get a reliable wireless router and then a separate adsl router?

In terms of range, will a wireless N router cover the whole floor of an office with good strenght or will i need to get a wifi extender? Office is roughly 40m x 60m.

I know its alot to ask but my brain is fried and i cannot think straight about it.

Also the current router is located in our server room. would this effect the signal badly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Energizer wrote: »
    Hello All,
    It will just be for internet browsing for guests, so doesn't need to be heavily blocked down as it will not be connected to our wired network.

Your leaving yourself very open their in terms of usage etc. Are you based in a town or an industrial park? I wouldn't recommend a completely open system for guests.

But if you want to go ahead, I'd recommend a simple wireless router, in the office with a link to the nearest ethernet port. You'd need two internet connections though to seperate it from your office LAN. And now you have another security problem.

Advertisement