Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations to replace external wall vent

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I have an extractor in the bathroom over the shower, and in the kitchen over the cooker, which feed into a 4inch waven pipe through the wall, with an external vent connected on the outside.

The vent is a triple flap, similar to the picture attached, and is attached to a cone shape on the back which slides in the waven pipe. Hope you get the idea ? :confused:

Anyway, I am looking to replace these type of external vents with something else, as the flaps keep breaking off due to wind damage.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I have an extractor in the bathroom over the shower, and in the kitchen over the cooker, which feed into a 4inch waven pipe through the wall, with an external vent connected on the outside.

The vent is a triple flap, similar to the picture attached, and is attached to a cone shape on the back which slides in the waven pipe. Hope you get the idea ? :confused:

Anyway, I am looking to replace these type of external vents with something else, as the flaps keep breaking off due to wind damage.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

as u know the flaps are to reduce wind when fans not in use: the fans I use have an integral, spring loaded flap which means the wall vent is simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Carlow52 wrote: »
    as u know the flaps are to reduce wind when fans not in use: the fans I use have an integral, spring loaded flap which means the wall vent is simpler

Actually I don't know much about this at all, except the flaps keep breaking to due gusts of wind, and I need a more durable replacement.

Suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Actually I don't know much about this at all, except the flaps keep breaking to due gusts of wind, and I need a more durable replacement.

Suggestions ?

A more durable replacement may have flaps that are too heavy for ur existing fans to open, hence my suggestion of trying to match the fan to the flap by way of an integrated flap in the fan structure
    because the longer the distance from the fan to the flap a more powerful fan is required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You can get a replacement anti-backdraught shuttered grille, similar to the one you already have- but with a "cowl" or "hood" fitted which offers protection from high winds. I've one fitted to my kitchen extractor and this has never given problems. "Vent Axia" and "Stadium" both supply a suitable cowled vent, try your local builder's merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

A picture for reference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

hi Eddiem74

Stadium make a 100mm cowled terminal vent with back flap
    Ref No BM457/B or BM457/W
    b=brown w=white available at any builders merchants/hardware store.
    Have two of them in my own house

Heatherview

Advertisement