Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Rynair €5 payment fee

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I've been looking for some time for a way not to pay the €5 payment fee on each Ryanair flight.

Officialy, the only way to go round the fee is to have an Electron card. Yet this card is virtually impossible to find in the ROI. With some research I found the following other options :
    • Vouchers : no payment fee seems to be levied but the remaining cash on the voucher is non refundable.
    • Using a virtual credit card such as Entropay. Yet I've not been able to use it due to a problem with Laser/Maestro card : "Regarding your top up source, the issue with Maestro cards is not on our side but on our payment processor system. Unfortunately the issue still persists intermittently. You may try depositing funds however we cannot guarantee it will succeed"...
    Have some people here tried either of these options and can confirm/infirm what I wrote. Do you know other ways not to pay the €5 fee?

Thanks to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rizwan2392

Hi, i just read your post regarding rynair charges.
    Well actually im totally new to rynair, if you've already used it, it'll be a great help for me.

Can you please tell me what this baggage thing, i mean 0 bags with online check in and so on??

2ndly i haven't booked any flight yet and i just want to know, when i go to search page, there are few return flight selections, where i see total charges amounting to only 0.02 EUR (Is this really true, or there are some hidden charges?)

Im from Germany, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

@Bagehot, Aer Lingus don't charge you anything for using cards.

@rizwan, try the consumer forum -http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339093

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bagehot wrote: »
    I've been looking for some time for a way not to pay the €5 payment fee on each Ryanair flight.

Officialy, the only way to go round the fee is to have an Electron card. Yet this card is virtually impossible to find in the ROI. With some research I found the following other options :
    Several people opened up an account in Spain for this reason.
    [*]Vouchers : no payment fee seems to be levied but the remaining cash on the voucher is non refundable.
    And you will need to request a new voucher for the remaining amount from the helpdesk but yes, it works.

Riz, they will add luggage charges (if you want to check in any luggage), airport taxes and airport check in charges. On top of this is the 5 Euro credit card fee unless you got an Electron card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Get a UK (Sterling) electron card with Entropay (www.entropay.com) this means you pay no CC fees.

It has to be a UK sterling card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as extensively discussed on the Bargain Alert forum, a sterling denominated Electron card (as virtually supplied by Entropay) is going to lose you money on the buy\sell exchange rate, so is only really useful for very cheap flights.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460526&highlight=entropay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

@Bagehot, Aer Lingus don't charge you anything for using cards.

They charge a 10 euro handling fee, per person, but not each way.

They do. I find Aer Lingus' "fees/charging structure" easier to follow and not as stealthy like CrimeAir.

Aer Lingus :
    Ticket fare - Sometimes free (this is the only thing you can get refunded I think)
    Taxes/charges - They seem to vary this, for their "sale" they reduced it to €10 to the UK
    Handling - €10 (not sure if this is refundable, probably not).

Ryanair :
    ???
    Someone else can fill this in :)

Aer Lingus were offering rescheduled flights when the DAA were closing the runway.
    Not sure what the other fella was offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fiddlesticks7

I've a visa electron woooop
    Just got given it with my abbey account comes in very handy when booking the oul ryanair flights, but yea only the cheap cheap ones cus of the crappy exchange rate they use
    i got 7.50 euro flights there the other week they charged like 7.58 sterling....meh still better than 17.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bagehot

Nody wrote: »
    And you will need to request a new voucher for the remaining amount from the helpdesk but yes, it works.

They say they don't do it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They do. I find Aer Lingus' "fees/charging structure" easier to follow and not as stealthy like CrimeAir.

Aer Lingus :
    Ticket fare - Sometimes free (this is the only thing you can get refunded I think)
    Taxes/charges - They seem to vary this, for their "sale" they reduced it to €10 to the UK
    Handling - €10 (not sure if this is refundable, probably not).

Ryanair :
    ???
    Someone else can fill this in :)

Aer Lingus were offering rescheduled flights when the DAA were closing the runway.
    Not sure what the other fella was offering.

Make no mistake, the 10 euro fee is a credit card fee.
    Handling Fee: Charges as follows: €5 per person, per flight. Flights originating in the USA, Infant Bookings and Bookings using Visa Electron are not subject to the handling fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cammy86

I totally don't agree with the card charges 5euros each way. I use my dad's card all the time as he has a electron card which is the only card which you don't pay a fee on. Here they have newly opened a Halifax which you were you can get the electron cards from

It doesn't cost €10 to process either a Credit or Debit card transaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Alan Rouge wrote: »

It doesn't, but most airlines (in Europe anyway) charge a card handling fee. And €5 is towards the lower end of the scale.

People should stop kidding themselves about what these fees and charges are. The airlines claim that they're a fee, but in fact they are just the price of the ticket. By taking parts of the price out, and calling it a fee or charge, they can make the price look better. They make it difficult to avoid the fee, because they don't want people avoiding the fee. They'll go out of business if they do.

It's simply not possible for people, in general, to fly from Dublin to London for 5 euro. You're kidding yourself if you think that's a realistic price, or expectation.

jor el wrote: »
    People should stop kidding themselves about what these fees and charges are. The airlines claim that they're a fee, but in fact they are just the price of the ticket. By taking parts of the price out, and calling it a fee or charge, they can make the price look better.

It's simply not possible for people, in general, to fly from Dublin to London for 5 euro. You're kidding yourself if you think that's a realistic price, or expectation.

Oh I know :)
    And I also believe that these "Taxes and Charges" don't have to be refunded so they make their money off of you and have the get out clause that this money is somehow secured or something against refunds ?

I'm well aware of how the ticket prices work, just pointing out that well, erm, it doesn't cost €5/10 to process a card payment.

Watchdog had a piece of CrimeAir there a few weeks ago about this and in fact the presenter came to Dublin to ask O'Leary a) for his "free" flight and b) how much it costs to process a card payment...

Of course aul Mickey didn't show his cards :rolleyes:

it doesn't cost €5/10 to process a card payment.

You're right, it doesn't, and they shouldn't really be allowed to break up the price into a million different bits, if it's pretty much impossible to avoid those bits. The price should be the price. Just another example of the inability of a regulator, to regulate.

For what it's worth Aer Lingus I think have fewer "hidden charges" . They try and charge you to book a seat online but when you check in online you can choose it then - AND they don't charge for checking in online or in the airport ;)

As I said - I suspect that it's to get away with not having to provide refunds as they all say "taxes/charges cannot be refunded".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cammy86

Jor el How come I have done many times flying to the UK for 5 euros if you book early????

Advertisement