Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission - advice?!

• 10-02-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Bit of a strange situation. Have a half acre site with a house built on it its a late 70's bungalow.

Myself and H2B would like to build a modern 5 bed house on the site possibly 1.5 storey behind the old house.

We would like to live in the old one for a limited amount of time while the new house is being built, then knock down the old one!

Is it possible to get planning permission for such a thing in Donegal?! :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Mrs2B wrote: »
    Hi,

Bit of a strange situation. Have a half acre site with a house built on it its a late 70's bungalow.

Myself and H2B would like to build a modern 5 bed house on the site possibly 1.5 storey behind the old house.

We would like to live in the old one for a limited amount of time while the new house is being built, then knock down the old one!

Is it possible to get planning permission for such a thing in Donegal?! :confused::confused:

Its difficult to predict the outcome of a planning application but this sort of thing is done fairly frequently so I would say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

We've done something similar, but a little protracted.

We bought a cottage on 1.5acres and have lived there for nearly six years. About three years ago we sought planning permission for an extension which we received but did not build to. Our architect then suggested we knock a (large) portion of the cottage and build new behind it. He drew up the new application - which included a replacement of substandard building form - which was also granted.

This is in Galway, mind.

Could your bungalow be deemed 'sub-standard'? The council/planners may take a dim view of replacing a reasonably habitable house with another...probably worth a pre-planning meeting with planners or determine if you need/can utilise the sub-standard dwelling argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Juantorena wrote: »
    The council/planners may take a dim view of replacing a reasonably habitable house with another...probably worth a pre-planning meeting with planners or determine if you need/can utilise the sub-standard dwelling argument?

I always find this an amazing view when I hear it in regards to planners. Surely planners should encourage replacing an old below par house with a more updated modern version because with today's standards it would be of benefit to everyone to build a new one. Houses built 20+ years ago are well below today's standards and most of the time it would be cheaper to build a whole new house than try bring the old one up to todays standards.

For the OP an extension that incorporates 2 external walls of the existing house, is basically like building a new house and is usually more favourably looked upon by the planners. I'm not sure if this is just a technical loophole of the system but if it is, its commonly exploited and although it would stop you living in the house during the build it might be something to consider. Sorry mods if thats actually an illegal loophole, but I don't think it is(feel free to edit is required)

This is of course providing that the new proposed house is in keeping with the surroundings and fits the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I agree with Juantorena, depending on the Local Authority you may have difficulty due to the condition of the existing house. I know in Co. Limerick I experienced difficulty at planning stage in demolishing a derelict cottage (inhabitable) and in the end had to re-design to incorporate the derelict cottage.

I would think that a pre-planning meeting will give you direction you need as to whether or not its a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mrs2B wrote: »
    Possibly, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement