Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your text books from

Options
  • 10-02-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Just doing some research for a project im doing. Just wondering where people get their textbooks for college.

Do you buy them, get them from the library etc.
    Do people even bother with reccommended texts

I rarely bought them, usually got them in the library - however near exam time it was damn near impossible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

If I'm told to buy an essential book I'll buy even if it means starving. I've never been able to find any of my essential books second hand.

I would never buy a recommended book. I'll look it up in the library but only skip through it for a quote or two for an assignment. For exam purposes I prefer to scout out other books that suit my level of intelligence. :D

You shouldn't have any problem getting books you want near exam time if you know where to hide them. I have a nice corner picked in the toilets 1st floor. Just lift the polystyrene panels and slip them in there. No point moving books to a different floor because the shelvers are ba***rds for putting them back where they belong. That's my tuppence. Btw is this one of those projects where you get a tenner for participating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Boo to hiding books. If you're not using, let someone else.

I've recently discovered thebookdepository.co.uk. I bought a politics book for €19 (with free delivery to anywhere) when it cost €40 in the campus bookshop in Stockholm. For essential books, I usually look around at prices online and in shops, and if I can't get it cheaper than the campus shop, I'll buy it there. Recommended reading I'll try and get from the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

If the book is essential I'll buy it from the SU bookshop
    If it's just recommended I get it from the library.
    If it's just a small one that's under 15 euro I buy it in Easons or the Campus bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've only bought one book this year, that was the one that's basically the backbone of my project. I've mostly worked from lecture notes, stuff online, research papers and borrowed a couple of books from the library.

I've probably bought about 12 textbooks in total in my time in college, and most of them were when I was studying maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I buy almost all books off amazon, delivery is usually in only 3 days and its far cheaper than campus bookshop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Abebooks this year. Before that I was a fool and bought in the campus bookshop. Still buy a few books in there from time to time when I need them quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Made the mistake of buying all (3) "required" books in first year. Opened them about once in the whole year.

This year i've used amazon and the college bookstore for books I've actually needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Next person to mention illegal methods of getting books gets a free holiday.

Advertisement