Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncapped Broadband Options?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Chorus/UPC/NTL isn't available where I live (the estate is cabled, apart from my apartment), so I'm looking for a broadband option which has no monthly download limit?

I thought UTV had this, but I don't see it on their website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

plazzTT wrote: »
    Chorus/UPC/NTL isn't available where I live (the estate is cabled, apart from my apartment), so I'm looking for a broadband option which has no monthly download limit?

I thought UTV had this, but I don't see it on their website.

UTV do have it, they charge you €6 for the privilage.

looking at the website it's free for the first 3 months and then they charge you.

Down beside unlimited usage, if the link works.

https://ssl.u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/option.asp?option=7&ROIUser=true%22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Arabel wrote: »
    UTV do have it, they charge you €6 for the privilage.

looking at the website it's free for the first 3 months and then they charge you.

Down beside unlimited usage, if the link works.

https://ssl.u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/option.asp?option=7&ROIUser=true%22

Regarding UTV's unlimited usage, they do have a fair usage policy, which essentially means that "there is a limit to our unlimited service, but we're not telling you what it is".

Wonder if anyone has tested that limit, or fallen foul of the fair usage policy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ALL domestic "unlimited" real* Broadband packages are limited but they won't tell you what it is.

You need a carrier grade or leased line to get real unlimited

*Some services are so slow that there is no need to limit the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

watty wrote: »
    ALL domestic "unlimited" real* Broadband packages are limited but they won't tell you what it is.

You need a carrier grade or leased line to get real unlimited

Wrong, but I won't advertise :)
    *Some services are so slow that there is no need to limit the user.

Eh. Ripwave is capped now. Wonder if anyone ever got past the cap :)

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet do not have a download limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rorser wrote: »
    Magnet do not have a download limit.

Every ISP has a limit of some sort,

In relation to UTV I have the unlimited option which costs me 5e a month extra, I notice that if for example I download 12GB in a day for the next day or so my connection appears to be throttled.

I've not received any warnings but on some months I have done a fair amount of downloading,. as far as bit-stream resellers go I have to say when I was looking for an ADSL ISP back in June UTV appeared to offer the best options "unlimited" wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Marlow wrote: »
    Wrong, but I won't advertise :)

Eh. Ripwave is capped now. Wonder if anyone ever got past the cap :)

/M

real unlimited =
    • No contention
    • No cap
    • No throttle
    • No per Gigabyte charges
    • No Fair Usage Policy
    • Always full upload and download speed
    • No limitations on applications or hosting or server etc
    • No resetting of sessions or connection, always on traffic neutral

Did I mention Ripwave? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

real unlimited =
    • No contention
    • No cap
    • No throttle
    • No per Gigabyte charges
    • No Fair Usage Policy
    • Always full upload and download speed
    • No limitations on applications or hosting or server etc
    • No resetting of sessions or connection, always on traffic neutral

Well, that exists. It's called leased line or carrier grade fiber :p and well, you can get it for domestic homes, but I don't think the users would like the pricetag. Also in response to your comment, which this relates to, we do tell the users their limit. Some ISPs do, some don't.
    Did I mention Ripwave? :)

Not directly, but the description was very fitting :)

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I haven't heard of anyone being throttled or warned about overuse on smarts top package.

a mate at work has it and says he's close to 1tb downloaded since december and no issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

vibe666 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of anyone being throttled or warned about overuse on smarts top package.

a mate at work has it and says he's close to 1tb downloaded since december and no issues whatsoever.

Yeah, I have heard of people downloading 1tb a month on smart.
    They are the closest to real unlimited dsl.
    Smart is available in a few exchanges in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

i have ice as its the only option were i live, service has greatly improved on last year - no limits 4mb package

Advertisement