Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D mkII - Typical size of RAW files?

• 10-02-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

So, I'll soon have a 5D mkII winging it's way to me and I'm just wondering if any of the mkII owners here can tell me what the average size of their RAW files at full resolution are? Trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my CF card. I currently have a 16Gb card, does me fine with the 50D which gives me files of about 20Mb.

Cheers. . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I get almost 300 raw files on an 8gig card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

funnily enough I'm in work browsing thru yesterdays shots and they range from 21mb to a whopping 29mb!
    On average they are between 24-26mb.
    I've gotten away with my 8gb card so far but want to have a stable of 5-6 cards, hoping they'll go down in price a bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Cheers lads, looks like the 16Gb will do me so. I have a couple of 4Gb as backup anyways. Can't wait to get me hands on the damn thing :D

If you're in Dublin stoneybatter area at 10.30am you can have an on hands preview of mine, me and a lady friend will be having a pint in that area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

PM surely? :pac:

• Advertisement

Don't call me Surely!

Cheers for the offer, but I'm at the other end of the Country :) Answer me this though, is it all it's cracked up to be, do you reckon I'll notice much of a difference compared to the 50D? Besides the whole full frame thing of course. My main reason for buying is for it's high ISO capabilites.

You start your boozin' early don't ya :D

B4 I got the 5D II I had and still retain the 40D, main diff between that and the 50D is the LCD screen and mpixels, ISO wise they're like for llike.
    So when u get the 5D II to me the best feature after the ISO (which will blow u away) is the viewfinder,it's amazing on a FF, it's at the stage where I hate going back to my 40D and the 1 time I had too (drunken trip away) I felt I could c fck all out of it's viewfinder!
    FF is great in so many ways, I really feel as if it has helped me progress as a photographer,wait til you see how diff ur exsisting lens will operate!
    Back to the ISO and 3200 is totally useable and 6400 is fairly useable.
    Sorry 4 shorthand but in work on iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Another thing you may want to consider is adding extra Hard drive space. When converted from RAW to 16bit tiff files they come in at a whopping 120MB!!

Hard Drive space isn't an issue. My PC is a bit of a home brew job and currently has about 5Tb of storage. I likes to download ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement