Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Ireland XI of all time

• 10-02-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

I'll probably miss a few names but off the top of my head (in my memory) -

Colin Doyle

Paul McShane
    Paul Butler
    Brian Carey

Graham Barrett
    Dave Savage
    Joe Lapira
    Alan O'Brien

Mickey Evans----Jon Goodman
    Jonathan Macken----

Bit harsh on Doyle maybe as he only has one cap but he doesn't even play club football right now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

er, take barrett off that list, he played 7 games from mid feild mostly and scored two goals, and generally played well and was then injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Alan Kernaghan was not great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seaneh wrote: »
    er, take barrett off that list, he played 7 games from mid feild mostly and scored two goals, and generally played well and was then injured.

In terms of hype and supposed potential he was a flop and stays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

In line with the best thread

Sort of a 5 3 2 formation with O'Brien, McGoldrick and Alan Moore beefing up the midfield

1: Colgan
    2: Fleming (Hate to say)
    3: Harte (For no pace)
    4: Liam Daish
    5: Paul Butler
    6: Brian Carey
    7: McGoldrick
    8: Alan Moore
    9:`John Goodman
    10: Mickey Evans
    11:Alan o'Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

with all due respect, you could find an awful lot more apt picks than mcgoldrick and harte

mcgoldrick if only for that goal against the north!

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    with all due respect, you could find an awful lot more apt picks than mcgoldrick and harte

That was McLoughlin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Babb.

How many goals was harte responsible for? not including just the free kicks.. though the penno miss was hard to take??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Alan Kernaghan was not great...
    Nobody ever fought for that Cornflakes card.....

SlickRic wrote: »

That was McLoughlin 'with all due respect'

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That was McLoughlin....

Sorry beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Craft25 wrote: »
    Babb.

How many goals was harte responsible for? not including just the free kicks.. though the penno miss was hard to take??

Us scoring or conceding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

9 posts in and no mention of Glen Crowe?

Tut-tut. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Us scoring or conceding?

ha, ha true enuf.. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Paddy Kenny, Paul Butler, Clinton Morrison should be in there! Eamonn Dunhpy too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stephen Elliott whatever happened to him ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Morisson, are you lads for real?

Some of you lot don't have a bloody clue what you're talking about.

Worst players to play for ireland.

Lepeara or whatever.

Crowe and Jayo yrne were abysmal.
    O'Ceurleu or whatever

redout wrote: »
    Stephen Elliott whatever happened to him ?

Plays for Preston. Trap hasn't picked him, he did score once if I recall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

In fairness, Jason Byrne was literally the best player on the pitch against Chilie (his only real run out), and set up 2 glorious chances for supposed world class players to spoon like amateurs. Then again, he was probably the only player arsed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

O'Cearuil has to be the worst international we've had. The guy couldn't cut it in the Eircom League last year, never mind international standard/Arsenal player:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Paddy Kenny, Paul Butler, Clinton Morrison should be in there! Eamonn Dunhpy too..

There's been a LOT worse than Clinton like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

Chris Morris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Colin Doyle

----Paul McShane----Gary Doherty---Alan Bennett----Alan Maybury----

Alan Mahon
    Joe O'Cearuill----Alan O'Brien----

Joe Lapira----Alan Lee
    Jonathan Macken----

Can't believe no one mentioned Gary Doherty! Poor fella got an awful hard time, but he was in no way, shape or form an international footballer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Given the above selection and the atrocious Mr. Kernaghan, would it be fair to say that anyone called Alan should shy away from the Irish international team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I tried to do this with my uncle and dad a few years ago and they didnt agree with most of the team I picked, stating that I lived through the good years as an ireland fan(im 27).

The worst Ireland team ever was probably the team Austria(maybe czechslovakia) beat 7-0 in the 60's, when Ireland picked 10 League of Ireland players....now i have to find the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone picking Morrison is having a ****ing laugh. Probably the same types who give Kilbane a constant hard time.

Paddy Kenny and McShane (bar the Czech home match) have been the biggest horror shows I have had the misfortune to watch.
    DaveH wrote: »
    The worst Ireland team ever was probably the team Austria(maybe czechslovakia) beat 7-0 in the 60's, when Ireland picked 10 League of Ireland players....now i have to find the link.

Given an (albeit injury ravaged) squad of EPL and Cship players got whacked 5-2 by Cyprus, which side played worst is certainly debateable ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Paddy Roche would have to be the keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ireland fever is going wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is a shocking thread, some of the players mentioned played very well for their country.

Whats wrong with you people, a guy had the bravery to step up and represent his coutry during his career and you guys just put up a list like this. The lack of respect or maybe the lack of reality in this thread is just terrible.

If you have nothing better to do than compile a list of players that might not have been at their best for their country, things have got really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is a shocking thread, some of the players mentioned played very well for their country.

Whats wrong with you people, a guy had the bravery to step up and represent his coutry during his career and you guys just put up a list like this. The lack of respect or maybe the lack of reality in this thread is just terrible.

If you have nothing better to do than compile a list of players that might not have been at their best for their country, things have got really sad.

good post

There has been some poor performances in the past from certain players, but I agree with eagleeye this is really sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That was McLoughlin....

a big fat whoops from me then...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Agree 100%...disgraceful thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Exactly, really a mod should know better tbh :eek:

Paul McShane could be reading this thread on his IPhone out in Clonshaugh at this very minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

eigrod wrote: »
    Paddy Roche would have to be the keeper.

Wasn't it Paddy Roche that moved from Shells and became Man Utds first choice? :o

Ah yes because this is soooooo much different to the worst players ever to play for your club threads that get hundreds of replies.

There have been shit players who have played for Ireland just like there have been for every other team in history. Not naming them is not going to change that, nor should the crapness be hidden away in the closet.

EDIT: Worst players ever thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055182814&highlight=phillips

Well received, 123 posts. Tell me the difference between that and this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Agreed! This thread shows a clear disrepect for players who wanted to do nothing more than represent their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Possibly a bit harsh but Lee Carsley as I will never forgive him for handling the ball against Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

there should be 2 Gary Dohertys, he was woeful as striker and defender. Not exactly John Charles

Ah yes because this is soooooo much different to the worst players ever to play for your club threads that get hundreds of replies.

There have been shit players who have played for Ireland just like there have been for every other team in history. Not naming them is not going to change that, nor should the crapness be hidden away in the closet.

EDIT: Worst players ever thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055182814&highlight=phillips

Well received, 123 posts. Tell me the difference between that and this thread
    Its not a job like playing club football.
    There is no serious financial reward for doing it.
    You run the risk of getting injured and losing out at club level as a result.
    And by the looks of things, you become the subject of abuse from sad internet forum users who have nothing better to do if you don't play well.

Some ridic comments here.

Players are exempt from criticism when they play for their country?

Horseshit.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Some ridic comments here.

Players are exempt from criticism when they play for their country?

Horseshit.
    There is a huge difference in a bit of criticism and putting up a list of worst ever.
    It shows a lack of understanding of how much effort these guys put in to represent their country. I think if you ever represented your country in any sport you might understand that it takes hard work and dedication to get selected in the first place. You get no major reward for it.

But of course you are open to this sort of rubbish because somebody in some little corner of the world is bored and has nothing better to do with his time than run down lads who at least made the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just to be the worst player in the Premiership takes lots of skill and effort (just ask Paul McShane) and is a great achievment. However it doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss who we think the worst player is. I'm sure the player himself wouldn't mind (just ask Paul McShane).

Similarily it's a fair topic to pick Irelands worst XI and I'm sure they nominee's themselves wouldn't mind if they saw it because lets face it no matter how bad they were at least they made it (just ask Paul McShane).

I think if you ever represented your country in any sport you might understand that it takes hard work and dedication to get selected in the first place. You get no major reward for it.

I think if I was good enough to earn a living playing football, and especially to be capped, I wouldn't be weeping over what a few non-pros thought of my place in the pantheon of Irish players.

And the players do get a non-monetary reward for it. They get to play in front of thousands of fans in a international match; some of them even get to play in a major tournament. Don't tell me that anybody with more than a handful of posts on this forum wouldn't give the world to do that.

stovelid wrote: »
    I think if I was good enough to earn a living playing football, and especially to be capped, I wouldn't be weeping over what a few non-pros thought of my place in the pantheon of Irish players.

And the players do get a non-monetary reward for it. They get to play in front of thousands of fans in a international match; some of them even get to play in a major tournament. Don't tell me that anybody with more than a handful of posts on this forum wouldn't give the world to do that.
    So you don't believe that you are being disrespecful to somebody who put huge effort into making the Ireland team by placing them on a worst all time Irish team?
    Just so you know, there are players who don't want to play for their country.
    And what about the kid who googles looking to see about their father/uncle who they know played for their country and up pops a thread like this. Very nice indeed.

Just so you know, there are players who don't want to play for their country.
    And what about the kid who googles looking to see about their father/uncle who they know played for their country and up pops a thread like this. Very nice indeed.

Have you never ever criticized a player online before? If it was my da or uncle, I'd think at least he played for Ireland, you fat mutts. And I'd be right.

What's with the sudden Irish football fervour around the forum at the minute?

Any chance of extending it until the LOI starts up again next month? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I think that players of more than one cap can be validly included on any list.

A few League Of ireland players with one cap is harsh, while the Lepira decision was a joke, its not his fault that Staunton and Evans gave him a run out in a meaningless tournament.

Kernaghan, Babb and Phelan have got to be part of Ireland's worst back four. In terms of a keeper, I think Paddy Kenny's record was hopeless, and he threw a strop about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Tomthepost wrote: »
    That was McLoughlin 'with all due respect'

Would u like a saucer of milk with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

if i could hide a thread, this would be it..well there would be a few actaully but this is just ridiculous

We are allowed opinons. If someone well plays good, I'll congratulate them, if someone plays bad I'll criticise them.

What do you think Eamon Dunphy does all day?

Most of us are not personally insulting the bad players, just their performance.

I'd love to be able to play for Ireland, play with pride in Croke Park, and get some money out of it. I'm not good enough, and I'd be ridiculed. Some football players confuse pride with ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

IvySlayer wrote: »
    We are allowed opinons. If someone well plays good, I'll congratulate them, if someone plays bad I'll criticise them.

What do you think Eamon Dunphy does all day?

Most of us are not personally insulting the bad players, just their performance.

I'd love to be able to play for Ireland, play with pride in Croke Park, and get some money out of it. I'm not good enough, and I'd be ridiculed. Some football players confuse pride with ambition.

Firstly yeah great idea we'll all be more like Eamon Dunphy :rolleyes:

And secondly where did you get the idea that players make money out of playing for their country :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement