Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice near absolute hotel

Options
  • 10-02-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Just in case (like me) you hop off Clare St. to go through the gates near the Absolut hotel in order to cycle by the canal to Plassey, be damn careful! There's often a small bit of ice there but this morning it looked grand.
    Just as I tried to hop up on the path near the canal gates, I came flying off the bike. Luckily there was no traffic or I'd probably be typing this from the Other Side via a Ouija board or something :D

Just warning others not to be as stupid as me...that patch of road and footpath was literally an ice rink at about 8am. So was the cycle path all the way along the canal. Couldn't even walk on it. And it was practically invisible. Think I'll drive tomorrow...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sparkman wrote: »
    Just in case (like me) you hop off Clare St. to go through the gates near the Absolut hotel in order to cycle by the canal to Plassey, be damn careful! There's often a small bit of ice there but this morning it looked grand.
    Just as I tried to hop up on the path near the canal gates, I came flying off the bike. Luckily there was no traffic or I'd probably be typing this from the Other Side via a Ouija board or something :D

Just warning others not to be as stupid as me...that patch of road and footpath was literally an ice rink at about 8am. So was the cycle path all the way along the canal. Couldn't even walk on it. And it was practically invisible. Think I'll drive tomorrow...

Some great advice here.
    I'd like to add that similar conditions on the North Circular Road this morning almost led to me being hurt. The bottom of the hill by the Clarion Suites had black ice, I was lucky enough that my feet landed first as my bike skewed out from under me. Needless to say I didn't mind being late for my 10 o'clock lecture after getting that shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol, did you see the city this morning? took me hour and a half to get across from castletroy to coonagh, and i saw at least 7 car accidents. roads were the slippiest I've ever seen them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Limerick Chronicle could not confirm at time of going to print whether or not the roads were gritted last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

An File wrote: »
    The Limerick Chronicle could not confirm at time of going to print whether or not the roads were gritted last night.

LOL, no really LOL

id even think grit would have done nothing on those roads, i couldnt clear my windscreen with 4 litres of hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

The road between the Groody Roundabout and the B&Q Roundabout were very icy this morning.

I drove from Newcastle West to Castletroy this morning about 7.30 and the only place I found ice was between B&Q Roundabout and UL. Looks like that road doesn't get gritted, but then again it is not a main road.

that road was the site of two of my crashes i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Footpaths were very slippy in town this morning. I expected it though, last night was felt the coldest it has been throughout the current cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Aidric wrote: »
    Footpaths were very slippy in town this morning. I expected it though, last night was felt the coldest it has been throughout the current cold snap.

I was in the car this morning at 6.30am and can confirm the ennis road, along with Shannon Bridge were all gritted, so I can only assume the city council were out early

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why are the roads so god-damnned dirty? My windscreen/ rest of the car is in a state

• Advertisement

Why are the roads so god-damnned dirty? My windscreen/ rest of the car is in a state

What routes have you been driving? Do you know of any construction/roadworks being carried out along those routes?

Raheen to Plassey via dual carriageway! The spray been thrown up is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

absolut%20vodka%20bottle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The dirt is a result of the gritting. My car is a mess since the frosty weather started, must go and wash it now that it's over.

Ahh i thought so! Washed it today, looking good

Advertisement