Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Pixon m8800

• 10-02-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I can upgrade next month, and am thinking of moving on from my usual line of Sony Ericcssons to something with a bit more welly that allows me to surf, write email and take decent pics.

The Samsung Pixon m8800 looks pretty nice, and is around €99 on Pay Monthly Vodafone (Perfect 50)

http://mobiletechaddicts.com/2008/12/14/samsung-pixon-m8800-review/

The camera seems very good and it has a nice wide screen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this camera, good or bad? And is there anything else out there comparable for the same price?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Just got it so will wait and see how it works out. 8 pixel camera and all touchscreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Might as well bump this, it's recent enough:

The vodafone website says that this has WiFi. Yet every other site I've checked says that it doesn't. This seems like a very good phone if you want to go for the iPhone-light somewhat, can anyone confirm if it has wifi or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

seamus wrote: »
    Might as well bump this, it's recent enough:

The vodafone website says that this has WiFi. Yet every other site I've checked says that it doesn't. This seems like a very good phone if you want to go for the iPhone-light somewhat, can anyone confirm if it has wifi or not?

It doesn't have Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better point that out to Vodafone so. Could result in some unhappy campers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

seamus wrote: »
    Better point that out to Vodafone so. Could result in some unhappy campers.

Mistakes on the Vodafone website? Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Yeah, no Wi-Fi; shame, but I guess for its price range (€100 for upgrade) it's still a good phone. For anything more capable (with Windows Mobile), you're talking €250+. Would still like to hear feedback about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Have a few issues with it, can't change the screensavers, the keypad locks during calls all the time, when I have a missed call it shows up 2 missed calls. Battery life with a few calls is 24 hours.

No wifi. Upgrade cost me €39 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Samsung are renownd for their flawed phones. Main issue seems to be a frozen screen and with the latest release of touch, the screen not actually recognising a touch.

It's not WiFi enabled but it's not supported on the network anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I got a vodafone prepay Pixon last week after I had to return that complete turkey aka Nokia 5800 (no, I don't wanna hear about new fw fixin the 5800 yada yada...it's the worst phone Nokia ever made. That is my opinion. And if you think vodafone make those vodafone fw's you're partly wrong! It's Nokia's fw!!!)

Anyhoo, on topic:
    No, the pixon has no wifi.
    But I like it.
    Last couple of years I have owned or at least tried for significant enough periods of time nokia e71, e61, HTC touch Diamond, Treo Pro, iPhone 3g, Samsung Omnia, SE P1i, Samsung F700, Nokia n95, N95/8, N91, etc etc

The Pixon, imho, is one of the best 'dumbphones' out there.
    Dor what it 'say on the tin' it gets 9.5/10 from me!
    Touchscreen on mine is just perfect. Not too fiddly fast, but not lagging either! The onscreen keypads are the best I've used - with the exception of touchpal for winmo.
    Camera is very good, built quality could/should teach Nokia a lot! It's almost E-series good - while Nokia's N-series feels more and more rubbish Samsung seem to be making a better effort these days!
    Yes, some fancy 3rd party apps are absent because it's not a smartphone, but again: (and don't iPhone users always say this?) the Pixon does well what it set out to do!
    And with the excellent browser and email client, it's more than a fad with a good cam!

Advertisement