Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain - Fianna fail going after the poor

Options
  • 10-02-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I can understand why it's a good idea to give high earners lower tax rates to stay in Ireland and create employment etc. in the private sector but I don't understand why they are not taking money off the rich public servants? Or is it that there just making the rich pay the same as the poor?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I can understand why it's a good idea to give high earners lower tax rates to stay in Ireland and create employment etc. in the private sector but I don't understand why they are not taking money off the rich public servants? Or is it that there just making the rich pay the same as the poor?

What rich public servants are not having money taken off them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It creates fear - if the public is scared then they'll believe the propaganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

jonny24ie wrote: »
    What rich public servants are not having money taken off them?

Is it the case that the well paid public sector workers are going to be paying the same rate as the ones on around 20k?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it the case that the well paid public sector workers are going to be paying the same rate as the ones on around 20k?

Same rate of PAYE??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Same rate of PAYE??

Sorry this pension thing or hidden tax whatever you want to call it.

• Advertisement

Sorry this pension thing or hidden tax whatever you want to call it.

The pension levy, well it is slightly higher tax the more you earn so they are not targetin the poor but they are not targeting their massive saleries either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Well, everyone will pay a different pension levy based on their level of earnings (levy ranges from 3% to 9%). However, as those earning more are on a higher tax rate, they'll get more back, if you get me. On the other hand though, the higher earners are paying higher tax, so it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

At this stage I wouldnt be surprised if the want out of power after the disasterous last 8 months or so. They will undoubtedly not be elected back into Government at the next elections so it will be up to the current opposition parties to clean up the mess FF made..unless by some miracle the economy gets a kickstart. Cowen should be as radical as he thinks he can be to get the economy going in my opinion as his days are numbered. As long as the economy is influenced so much by politics rather than economics, it is going to be a slow recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Those on higher levels of income pay most of their tax at the higher rate of 41%. People seem to forget that.

It creates fear - if the public is scared then they'll believe the propaganda

Very cynical man..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

ateam wrote: »
    Those on higher levels of income pay most of their tax at the higher rate of 41%. People seem to forget that.

Noones forgetting that. THough as they are paying some of their wage at 41%, it means they are entitled to 41% tax back on their pension payments. Those on lower wages are only entitled to 20% tax-back so it's all abit messy.

The whole thing is so ill thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ateam wrote: »

Its not enough. It was lowered from 42% to 41% unjustifiably 2 budgets ago. I had colleagues on that rate scratching their heads as they did not need the extra dosh.
    It was an election gimmick. If the poorest are going to share the pain and they are now through job losses, raise the rate to 48% to be fair.

Advertisement