Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE ON ROADS THIS MORNING whats happening!!

Options
  • 10-02-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

hi, the ice on the roads was terrible this morning. fair enough time of year etc.
    but, as many of you know i hail from the uk, i dont understand why the salt gritters didnt start gritting the roads until 8am..

the traffic was terrible , of course people were being careful but, in the uk when theres weather that the roads need gritting they start at 12am and go through the night till morning, thus accidents are few.

so does anyone know what happened this morning to galway council and what is the usual procedure for gritting the roads ??

and how did everyone else fair driving on the ice this morning??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah, but now they're running out in the UK, while Galway CC will have plenty left for the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

hi, the ice on the roads was terrible this morning. fair enough time of year etc.
    but, as many of you know i hail from the uk, i dont understand why the salt gritters didnt start gritting the roads until 8am..

the traffic was terrible , of course people were being careful but, in the uk when theres weather that the roads need gritting they start at 12am and go through the night till morning, thus accidents are few.

so does anyone know what happened this morning to galway council and what is the usual procedure for gritting the roads ??

Welcome to Ireland,road gritting to commence after Paddys day I believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ah, but now they're running out in the UK, while Galway CC will have plenty left for the next few days!

thats probably because they have had so much snow:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thats not my point, my point is what is galway council doing coming out at 8am.. the amount if disruption a thin layer of ice caused, i would hate too see what would happen if galway had the snow and yearly thick ice the uk has.
    8am is not early enough, its putting lifes at risk and also causing disruption for everyone travelling by road in the morning.
    they need too get out of there beds a lot earlier and grit the roads and i dunno what salt there using, but its white!! stuff in the uk is red, and works instantly
    just worrys me, accidents that could be avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

At 6am the roads were all fine , then we had an Ice storm/glaze event either side of 7am and by 7.30am the whole of Galway was a shiny sheet of ICE .

Most of it had melted by 10am .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

kinetic wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland,road gritting to commence after Paddys day I believe!

lol!!! very funny kinetic!!

but every driver pays road tax, nct.. why should lives be at risk when something as simple as salt will stop that.

the tail backs were terrible and i do hope there wasnt any accidents, and it was just due too careful driving:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your absolutely right but in a way I'm sort of glad Ireland isn't as well oiled as the UK. If everything went like clockwork life would be dull.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

but every driver pays road tax, nct.. why should lives be at risk when something as simple as salt will stop that.
    Motor tax.

Was it really that bad this morning? Because coming from Silver Strand in at 8am, I couldn't see or feel anything to worry about yet there were some drivers crawling around at 15 mph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah it was that bad
    Children going to school had to walk slowly because the footpath was so slippery and i had to get off my bike and walk. I saw a few cars skidding after they braked. The ice was invisible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I fell on my ass in front of a bus and nearly cried with embarassment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Plenty of black ice alright, not just in Galway. Friend of mine went off the road in Mayo, no damage done thankfully, just his pride :D

In fairness to GCC, Met Eireann last night forecast no frost for the west, it was supposed to be 1-2C at the lowest...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Gritters were out at about 8pm yesterday evening on the Quinn bridge. Dont know if they were out for the morning, I was asleep in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

My car said 3 degrees this morning. Saw two accidents on my way into work, one person had driven parallel into the side of someone else. A second driver had ploughed into a wall.

Absolutely lethal it was, but I think this one caught everyone off guard. Especially as the temperatures were above freezing. Weird stuff.

I was before the bulk of the traffic but I was glad to get into work. Hope tomorrow isnt the same.

But thanks to the idiotic van who tailgated me halfway into work. You stupid retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't know what the big deal is - I drove 90 miles this morning (left at 7am) and not a bother. Use yer feckin gears to slow down instead of your brakes and ye'll be grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh sure'n you'll be grand. The Irish don't get up until 8am, so no need to start things any earlier than that. 'Tis colder in Poland, so the workers who start before 8am know how to cope with icy roads, no need of salt/grit for them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

I really do not think it is fair to criticise the GCC... They are doing a great job all year around and nobody has the right to 'down' them.... If the uk is so great why are you here? - no offence.:confused::confused::rolleyes::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Yeah i slid yesterday about 15yds into a pole, it was one of those lovely new junctions the council have put up with the red brick, whatever about tarmac being bad this stuff was unbelievably slippy and icy.
    And to compound matters if there had been a kerb i would have just bounced off as was just crawling/sliding, instead of which all there is, is a series of metal poles! so a fair bit of damage to the car results!
    These junctions may look nice but again no real thought from the council, Ok this was a particularly bad day, but it does get cold and icy in the west of Ireland!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Don't know what the big deal is - I drove 90 miles this morning (left at 7am) and not a bother. Use yer feckin gears to slow down instead of your brakes and ye'll be grand :pac:

Which side did you come from by the way?

I felt confident to drive yesterday but you can't account for the flipping idiots who are reckless like the tool who nearly slid into me.

Even though I was being very careful yesterday morning in the car I skidded twice thankfully at low speeds.

I was most annoyed that I didn't realise the ice was there when I got out onto the driveway and did a comedy fall.

Came from the Whesttt of the city and did the whole N17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galway is so close to the sea that gritters do hardly any use, there's enough salt in there air to begin with. if there's serious ice in Galway, then gritters aren't going to make a huge amount of difference as chances are it's that cold that the amount of ice would overpower the grit.

secondly, why can't people learn to drive on slippy surfaces? in my day we had to drive up a 40 degree incline daily, there'd be so much ice you'd be on your arse before you left the house... young people today...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Came from the Whesttt of the city and did the whole N17

There was only ice in Newcastle and Knocknacarra from what I could see. Once on the Quincentenary it was grand. I was the only one in the office late as no one else lives on the same side as me. Thankfully they'd heard about the ice on Galway Bay so I didn't look like a bluffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh sure'n you'll be grand. The Irish don't get up until 8am, so no need to start things any earlier than that. 'Tis colder in Poland, so the workers who start before 8am know how to cope with icy roads, no need of salt/grit for them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here would you ever f*ck off out of Galway, all you do on here is complain.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There was only ice in Newcastle and Knocknacarra from what I could see. Once on the Quincentenary it was grand. I was the only one in the office late as no one else lives on the same side as me. Thankfully they'd heard about the ice on Galway Bay so I didn't look like a bluffer.

Yeah heard KC area was terrible bad alright

04KY wrote: »
    Here would you ever f*ck off out of Galway, all you do on here is complain.
    I dont think she was complaining at all... looks your the complainer. So much so that you read post as if its a complaint, and then complain about them complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

I dont think she was complaining at all... looks your the complainer. So much so that you read post as if its a complaint, and then complain about them complaining!

Maybe it's because of her aggressive post style. Have a look at her post history. Full of complaining about Galway and Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Galway is so close to the sea that gritters do hardly any use, there's enough salt in there air to begin with. if there's serious ice in Galway, then gritters aren't going to make a huge amount of difference as chances are it's that cold that the amount of ice would overpower the grit.

secondly, why can't people learn to drive on slippy surfaces? in my day we had to drive up a 40 degree incline daily, there'd be so much ice you'd be on your arse before you left the house... young people today...

I think you're confusing grit with salt. Salt lowers the freezing point so that ice doesn't form. Grit breaks up the surface of the ice (it sticks up above the surface) so that even if ice forms you still have some grip.

Oh, and "in my day"?? What are ya, 80? :D

So how when you are going at approx 10-15mph in 2nd gear on a residential street and touch the brakes (as the car in front has done 30 yards in front of you) and your car just does an impression of a duck on ice do you propose that you use your gears to stop.
    Why the holier than thou attitude? As was mentioned there was freezing rain in the city around 8ish, main roads were pretty much unaffected just side roads carparks etc.

04KY wrote: »
    Maybe it's because of her aggressive post style. Have a look at her post history. Full of complaining about Galway and Ireland in general.
    I know, ive seen her about. But you picked the wrong post to complain about her complaining dont ya think? :P

Webbs wrote: »
    So how when you are going at approx 10-15mph in 2nd gear on a residential street and touch the brakes (as the car in front has done 30 yards in front of you) and your car just does an impression of a duck on ice do you propose that you use your gears to stop
    You knock her into 1st, maybe? :rolleyes:
    Why the holier than thou attitude?
    Because I am :pac:

I did go into first, made no difference as car was just sliding no traction whats so ever!
    Hopefully you wont ever be in similar situation we arent talking about a little patch of ice here and there but sheet ice in all directions.
    As I got out to look at my car another car coming to the junction at snails pace put on brakes to stop at junction and just slid straight into the middle of the junction thankfully there wasnt anyone else coming, pretty mad conditions that thankfully lasted a short time, you just coudnt see the ice at all
    As was said it seemed pretty localised to Newcastle, Rahoon etc

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    I did go into first, made no difference as car was just sliding no traction whats so ever!
    Hopefully you wont ever be in similar situation we arent talking about a little patch of ice here and there but sheet ice in all directions.
    As I got out to look at my car another car coming to the junction at snails pace put on brakes to stop at junction and just slid straight into the middle of the junction thankfully there wasnt anyone else coming, pretty mad conditions that thankfully lasted a short time, you just coudnt see the ice at all
    As was said it seemed pretty localised to Newcastle, Rahoon etc

Happened me plenty of times before (Not necessarily in Ireland) - Maybe I was just lucky?

Advertisement