Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE ON ROADS THIS MORNING whats happening!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think you're confusing grit with salt. Salt lowers the freezing point so that ice doesn't form. Grit breaks up the surface of the ice (it sticks up above the surface) so that even if ice forms you still have some grip.

yeah, but it's rocksalt salt they put down here isn't it? that's why i'm saying it's near useless as the salt in the air lowers the freezing point anyway... well in and around the city and coastal areas like salthill/barna.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Oh, and "in my day"?? What are ya, 80? :D

grew up in Donegal :p
    Webbs wrote: »
    I did go into first, made no difference as car was just sliding no traction whats so ever!
    Hopefully you wont ever be in similar situation we arent talking about a little patch of ice here and there but sheet ice in all directions.
    As I got out to look at my car another car coming to the junction at snails pace put on brakes to stop at junction and just slid straight into the middle of the junction thankfully there wasnt anyone else coming, pretty mad conditions that thankfully lasted a short time, you just coudnt see the ice at all
    As was said it seemed pretty localised to Newcastle, Rahoon etc

be thankful you're living in one of the mildest parts of the country then. happens a hell of a lot in other parts of the country. you learn to cope...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I slid into a poll on the moycullen-barna road, had my little one in the back. Was freaked out all day yesterday of what could have happended. Heard that in the hour or so after that happened, 3 cars were lying in ditches around the barna golf club.

P.s - if the fooking lorry driver ,who was parked down from the golf club where I had my accident, is reading this...you my friend or a w*nk job for
    A: being parked where you were - i mean wtf?
    B: not even asking if I wanted any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You knock her into 1st, maybe? :rolleyes:

Or reverse! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

be thankful you're living in one of the mildest parts of the country then. happens a hell of a lot in other parts of the country. you learn to cope...

I didnt grow up in Ireland and agree its mild here, but the conditions werent the usual icy conditions, I have only seen it like that a couple of times in my life where the rain freezes as it hits the ground so that it just creates a sheet of ice not just icy wet patches.
    I remember many years ago something similar (though on a wider area and heavier rain) happen in Bristol area, every tree looked like it was made of ice, it was incredible as any car that turned on to a downslope was unable to stop, it looked like something out of a disaster movie, where cars had slid down hills hitting parked cars on both side of the roads as they went, the entire city just ground or slid to a halt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I really do not think it is fair to criticise the GCC... They are doing a great job all year around and nobody has the right to 'down' them.... If the uk is so great why are you here? - no offence.:confused::confused::rolleyes::D:D

I would not mind hearing the answer to this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The footpaths were fairly slippery on Monday. Luckily I managed to walk into college without falling on my face!

My driveway and the roads in my estate were quite bad but the main roads didn't seem to be as icy (I'm guessing the main roads were salted and the roads in my estate weren't).

Advertisement