Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc world

Options
  • 10-02-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

heys guys
    just wondering what your experiences of pc world have been and if anyone can offer me some advice! to cut long story short,basically my dad bought a labtop from them 2 years ago,it has 5 year warranty and it broke down 5 weeks ago.. he has been up and down to the sligo branch numerous times trying to get if fixed but with no success..

they seem to have no idea what to do with it,they took it off him and said they would send it to england to fix it, 2 weeks later they rang and said it was fixed. when he brought it home it wouldnt work again.. turns out it never left the shop in the 2 weeks at all, which they confessed to!!!

basically keep telling him to ring their head office in england to arrange for a courier to come collect it... he is up and down to there store which is an hour away from where he lives aswell!!

nobody wants to take responsibilty or deal with it,just keep playing dumb and pretending they know nothing about it! its driving my dad nuts now cause he needs the labtop for work. plus they also charged him 50euro to guarentee that his info/files would not be lost when they were repairing it!!! this seems crazy. and then they didind fix it at all!! the cheek

anways sorry for rambling,just wondering has anyone been in same situation??? needless to say,im sure they have!!!! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've never felt any compulsion to buy anything in that shop. I go in from time to time when I'm in the city but the prices are just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Like you, my experiences with them are bad too.

I wouldn't even buy printer paper from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I had the same problem when i broke my laptop on a saturday.I rang them on monday morning as i had insurance,and stressed that i needed it fixed asap as i use it for work.
    I was told a courier would collect it the next morning,tuesday,anyway thursday came and no courier so i took it to the shop.
    Long story short it took over 4 weeks to fix and ill never pay for the insurance again as 4 weeks wait time is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have had no experience with them thank god but these people have;

Previous Topic regarding PC World on Galway City Board

Topics regarding PC World on Consumer Issues Board

I'd ring the Galway Shop and arrange to meet the Store Manager. They should be able to esculate the issue for you in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

They told me, that to clear all the viruses off my old laptop and update my processor it would be costing me the guts of 300e.... and i was basically better off buying a new one.

Found out later that it would have been really easy to do and not have cost me anything like that price.

However on a positive note, when i decided to buy a new one the sales man was very helpful and extremely patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Next time they claim to have fixed it, make you you test it before you leave the store. (Cuts down the return journey).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'd ring the Galway Shop and arrange to meet the Store Manager. They should be able to esculate the issue for you in the shop.

I wouldn't be so sure. Having had a few run-ins with that guy (if it is still the same one) I would actually say the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. Having had a few run-ins with that guy (if it is still the same one) I would actually say the opposite.

The actual main manager is pretty reasonable from experience. But he's not there much, at least not in terms of availability to customers anyway. There's another guy there with red hair and without naming names or getting too personal he's not exactly an invaluable resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I suppose the real message is just don't buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They told me, that to clear all the viruses off my old laptop and update my processor it would be costing me the guts of 300e.... and i was basically better off buying a new one.

Found out later that it would have been really easy to do and not have cost me anything like that price.

However on a positive note, when i decided to buy a new one the sales man was very helpful and extremely patient.
    How on earth could you even contemplate stepping foot in the place after they tried to con you like that? Make no mistake that was a pure out and out con. There's no way anyone with any kind of PC knowledge could in all honesty claim that a computer needed to be replaced because of viruses. He might as well have called you an idiot to your face and tried to steal the money out of your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

sgthighway wrote: »
    I suppose the real message is just don't buy there.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not Galway city specific. Moved to CI.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

<snip>

Sounds like they scared you (through techno-babble) into buying a new one. The snivelling piece of sh|t :mad: One positive reason never to go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I bought a pc in the blanchardstown branch, then they told me i have to go to swords to get the monitor as they did not have the monitor and they said they will call swords to tell them. I arrived at swords and they check reciept then tell me they never got any call saying i was coming to collect a monitor. So i said right cant you ring them to verify, he said no they wont be able to get through on the phone. So i asked for the manager, he said the same thing, i would have to go back to blanch and get them to call swords, verify and i then drive back again. So i said this is ridiculous, and he actually rang the blanch shop in front of me, no answer, and he said nothing he can do. He actually found it surprising when i started getting annoyed. This was pc world, the communication age, and they cant contact a shop 6 or 7 miles away.

Considdering i had handed over 1000 euro in blanch shop, i found that beyond shocking. I actually said to manager does anyone in this shop have a mobile number for anyone in blanch shop. And they got someone and sorted it that way. But like another said earlier, printer paper id find hard to buy there after that, never mind a pc.

Also the monitor had a problem 10 months later, i was told they dont accept returns and i have to ring england and get it collected. Never again. I think its only a matter of time before they are gone from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Three words OP: "Small claims court".

They'll soon change their tune once you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I bought a pc in the blanchardstown branch, then they told me i have to go to swords to get the monitor as they did not have the monitor and they said they will call swords to tell them. I arrived at swords and they check reciept then tell me they never got any call saying i was coming to collect a monitor. So i said right cant you ring them to verify, he said no they wont be able to get through on the phone. So i asked for the manager, he said the same thing, i would have to go back to blanch and get them to call swords, verify and i then drive back again. So i said this is ridiculous, and he actually rang the blanch shop in front of me, no answer, and he said nothing he can do. He actually found it surprising when i started getting annoyed. This was pc world, the communication age, and they cant contact a shop 6 or 7 miles away.

Considdering i had handed over 1000 euro in blanch shop, i found that beyond shocking. I actually said to manager does anyone in this shop have a mobile number for anyone in blanch shop. And they got someone and sorted it that way. But like another said earlier, printer paper id find hard to buy there after that, never mind a pc.

Also the monitor had a problem 10 months later, i was told they dont accept returns and i have to ring england and get it collected. Never again. I think its only a matter of time before they are gone from here.

That's shocking to hear. Pc world usually inform the other stores of collection via email. WTF like??

Pc World are a complete and utter joke!!! Never would I buy from them. They treat their customers like idiots and the Indians who work there act like such con artists. They tell you such bs about the products they sell. Poorly trained staff, obnoxious managers, clueless advisors.

I would say they'll be gone out of here in a heartbeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

swingking wrote: »
    That's shocking to hear. Pc world usually inform the other stores of collection via email. WTF like??
    No good if they couldn't even be bothered to check their inbox, which happens a lot of the time. Sure they can't / won't set up an Irish website :rolleyes:
    swingking wrote: »
    Pc World are a complete and utter joke!!! Never would I buy from them. They treat their customers like idiots and the Indians who work there act like such con artists. They tell you such bs about the products they sell. Poorly trained staff, obnoxious managers, clueless advisors.

I would say they'll be gone out of here in a heartbeat!!
    Totally agree with you on all the above. As for their, "would you like to buy insurance / extended warranty?", it's not worth the paper it's printed on, and as for their instore tech repair, from my experience and from what I've heard you don't want to go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Give it a few more months they will go burth. Not cool for the employees, but it will teach the owners a lesson. Last december, PC World UK already lost 30 million pounds in the last 3 months compared to 2007.

Also many of their employees never heard of "Anti-Perspirant" :D
    I am sure others have noticed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

to the OP - the sligo branch seems to have a never ending parade of managers that come and go.

I bought a laptop there last year and 3 months later it went kaputt due to a manufaturer fault. i was dealt with in the rudest and most unprofessional manner you could possibly imagine. at the time i worked in a shop in the same retail park (in customer service as it happens :)) and if i had dealt with a customer like that i would have been fired on the spot and rightly so.

the manager at the time actually reduced me to tears over the phone he was so rude and abusive. it was only when i asked for the name, number, e-mail address and postal address of his boss in hq that he relented and agreed to replace the laptop.

4 months later the replacement went kaputt. i went back to the sligo store and was dealt with by the previous assistant manager who was now the manager :confused: again i was dealt with so rudely i was actually looking round to see if i was on an episode of naked camera!!! i simply left the shop, rang directory enquiries and got the number of their hq in dublin and got the name of the group's brand manager in ireland. i rang and rang and rang and 2 days later i got through to him. he agreed that some stores had ''staff training issues'' and offered to have a courier collect the laptop and have it repaired free of charge.

i have since found out that they are again looking for another new manager. :rolleyes: there was one guy there (think he was polish) at the service desk inside the door. he seemed to know a bit about computers but i think he's constrained by a ''customer service system'' that doesn't work.

couple that with young immature staff (like staff behind the desk openly looking through customer's files on pc's that were left in for repair, or standing behind the counter ignoring customers while they text on their mobiles, etc) and you just have a shop that doesn't seem to actually care about what they do to customers as long as they sell.

if you have some time to spare there's a really funny thread on bock the robber's blog about pc world. it's worth a giggle. clicketh here and be amused. (but make yourself a cup of tea, it's a long 'un. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

thanks a mill for all the replies back.. my dad is STILL waiting to hear back from them!!! he rang a few times again ,was told the manager would ring him on thursday... surprise surprise he never did... was eventually tuesday of following week when he tracked him down... told him that he would ring there head office and get it sorted... a week later he still hasnt heard anything... again SURPRISE SUR FLIPPIN PRISE!!!!!!!!

its the most frustrating thing ever.. i told him just to threaten them with small courts court and they will soon get it sorted!!! there shop is a complete joke,there staff are useless at there job and basically i have nothin good to say bout them,nor will i ever recommend anyone to go to them!!!

i know well they arent gonna fix the labtop... there all nice as pie when there selling ya the labtop but they dont wanna know about it once they make the sale then!!! MORONS!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

amy85 wrote: »
    my dad is STILL waiting to hear back from them!!!
    Tell him that he'll be fobbed off until the warranty is gone, and then there's nothing can be done, as magically there'll be no report of him ever ringing in :rolleyes:

Get him to skip PC World, and deal directly with whoever manufactured the laptop. If that doesn't work, get your mam to eat an onion, and pop in on a Saturday around 11am, and demand that the laptop gets fixed. Use the waterworks, and mention the small claims court.

haha thats syco. il mention that to my mum alright. warranty isnt up for another 3 years. lm so mad id nearly go down and f*ck them out of it myself. i work in retail myself and i know if we treated customers like that we wouldnt last there very long..out manager would have our bags packed and p45's in the post!! :) its just crazy that they think they can spin you all these lies and expect you to believe it! its going on 7 weeks now!!! crazy crazy crazy......... :( i dunno how there still in business anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pbeary

Bring them to the small claims court! If you want to know more, email me p-beary@hotmail.com :)

well just to give quick update. got a replacement laptop from them eventually.. after few more phone calls etc.. haha.. so hopefully this one will be ok this time round! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

i think the following application form should be printed out by all customers of ireland, and brought out when shopping or returning goods.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/224D3F40A61421D280256DA6002EB56B?opendocument&l=en

bring it with you to pcworld and ask them to fill out their company name and address area.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I have been working in the IT industry for the last 10 years and and on occasion I have been in the blanch branch. I find it utterly hilarious with the amount of BS that the sales guys spew to poor individuals that buy from there. One lad had to get his supervisor to show a customer how to turn up the volume on the speakers!!! He decided not to buy it after I had a word in his ear and couldnt thank me enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was in the PC World branch in Mahon Point, Cork over the weekend just browsing their latest prices on external hard drives and I was very surprised to see how quiet the place was. The majority of people in the store were staff.

I had no intention in spending money in the store, I was just checking prices before I go online.

Advertisement