Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't people gunning for the Greens?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

So the country's in a state of disarray, the unions are threatening strikes, job loses etc. We're on the verge of anarchy so on my O'Clock news what do I see the Green Party doing ?

Some rubbish scheme to get kids to eat fruit and vegetables.
    I voted for this shower and I've regretted it ever since.

Comments

Whats the point?..shur aren't they harmless..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

In fairness, they only have 6 seats in government, just how much do you expect them to achieve?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its alright sure in the next election they`re going to be the next PD`s.

I voted for them aswell--and Ill never vote for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I voted for this shower and I've regretted it ever since.

+1 for me. Every single day I am annoyed with myself for doing it. Not going to make that mistake again.

In fairness, they have been trying to push their agenda..the fact that fianna fail dont listen to them is not down to them...could they actually bring down the government by walking?..(I cant be arsed checking)..And what with the whole financial situation, the green agenda's been forgotten about by everyone...Its all well and good giving out about them now..at this stage they're probably of the viewpoint that they can be more effective in government that in opposition..

• Advertisement

I voted for them too by the way, after labour...and ill vote for them again, after labour...If you ever in your life voted for fianna fail, regret that, but leave gormley and the boys alone...they deserve six seats after he burnin mcdowell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

In fairness, they have been trying to push their agenda..the fact that fianna fail dont listen to them is not down to them...could they actually bring down the government by walking?..(I cant be arsed checking)..

As far as I know, no they can't just walk at this stage. they've signed a contract that says they're in government with Fianna Fail.

Why they didn't do a deal with Labour is beyond me :confused:
    Labour, Fine Geys, Greens and inependants would've made the numbers no ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

they deserve six seats after he burnin mcdowell..

If like me and thousands of other voters you voted for them because of their pre-election promises then in all fairness we have the right to call for their heads because I for one cant see that they kept up any of their promises.
    They always said they would be the FF police but for some reason they refuse to go against FF even when they disagree with them.

I personally think that the power has gotten to their heads and thats why they wont walk.

They could surely walk regardless of any contract..But yeah, realpolitik and all that...they'll get the odd random piece of pointless legislation passed this way like...and have they been in government before?..shur they'll be in their element..And regarding they megarainbow coalition..shur fianna fail had the independants wrapped up surely..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Loads of people are; read back over the threads of the last while.

I'm not sure what you expect them to do though.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If like me and thousands of other voters you voted for them because of their pre-election promises then in all fairness we have the right to call for their heads because I for one cant see that they kept up any of their promises.
    They always said they would be the FF police but for some reason they refuse to go against FF even when they disagree with them.

I personally think that the power has gotten to their heads and thats why they wont walk.

I would be much more upset about fianna fail outright lying to the electorate before the last two elections, than the greens misconceptions about what they could achieve in power, if i were you..

I would be much more upset about fianna fail outright lying to the electorate before the last two elections, than the greens misconceptions about what they could achieve in power, if i were you..

Dont even get me started on FF :mad::mad:

I never have and never will be a Fianna Fail supporter.

I voted FG,Labour and Greens in that order in the hope of getting FF out of government and then the Greens go into coalition with them.That really pi$$ed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

As far as I know, no they can't just walk at this stage. they've signed a contract that says they're in government with Fianna Fail.

Why they didn't do a deal with Labour is beyond me :confused:
    Labour, Fine Geys, Greens and inependants would've made the numbers no ?

... and Sinn Féin I think would have been needed :D

The fact of the matter is people are gunning for them, but with no real arguments. There was a thread here a while ago about the 'spineless' greens, but no actual arguments about the greens.

The Greens are focusing on their own thing, and they'd have more success if the country had money. As it is they're getting blamed for FF's mistakes

Loads of people are; read back over the threads of the last while.

I'm not sure what you expect them to do though.

I had a look for a Green thread, couldn't see one. Link me up ?

What do I expect them to do ? What kind of horribly passive attitude is that ?

No point getting that upset about these things now man..fact of the matter is if things hadn't went tits up, fianna fail would get in again..

Why cant i thank Cliste for his/her insightful comment?

No point getting that upset about these things now man..fact of the matter is if things hadn't went tits up, fianna fail would get in again..

There lies the problem.There is no real alternative to FF.

It's that type of apathetic attitude that's led to 3Fianna Fail terms in Government. I know people who voted that shower of rats in the last time on the basis that "Well, times are (were) good , I've a job and plenty a cash and a car etc.... I'm not going to rock the boat now so I'll give FF me vote".

FF and anyone with the slighest hint of knowledge knew that the good times were over - Fianna Fail were elected based on false promises....

Back on topic : So were the Greens.

It's that type of apathetic attitude that's led to 3Fianna Fail terms in Government. I know people who voted that shower of rats in the last time on the basis that "Well, times are (were) good , I've a job and plenty a cash and a car etc.... I'm not going to rock the boat now so I'll give FF me vote".

FF and anyone with the slighest hint of knowledge knew that the good times were over - Fianna Fail were elected based on false promises....

Ok, apathetic now maybe...but last year, before the elction, i was trying my very best to dissuade the masses from voting for them..

His, thank you :D

Well if I remember correctly the greens had the most pessimistic budget before the last election.

• Advertisement

Actually I think the reason the Greens were voted in was because the electorate assumed that they would go into coalition with FG/Labour as an alternative to FF.

Didnt happen and thats what annoyed the electorate.

And I would nearly put more (well, ok, the same amount of..)blame at the door of the pds than fianna fail, to tell the truth..

Actually I think the reason the Greens were voted in was because the electorate assumed that they would go into coalition with FG/Labour as an alternative to FF.

Didnt happen and thats what annoyed the electorate.

You cant assume anything in the cccrrrrazzzyyy world of irish politics man..

You cant assume anything in the cccrrrrazzzyyy world of irish politics man..

Jesus I realise that now.

But back on topic--What do people think the Greens chances are of being re-elected if there was an election in the morning or would I be right in saying like my first post that they will be the next PDs??

But back on topic--What do people think the Greens chances are of being re-elected if there was an election in the morning or would I be right in saying like my first post that they will be the next PDs??

If the greens are the next pds..then who will benefit??..fine gael and labour?...surely they'd need the greens for any coalition of the willing..sinn fein perhaps?...probably also needed for said coalition, but they would surely pick up seats, due to the disgruntled masses roaring and shouting..Id imagine a lot of fianna fail politicians are elected on more personality than policy..they'd probably still pick up those 2nd and 3rd votes..

Ok, apathetic now maybe...but last year, before the elction, i was trying my very best to dissuade the masses from voting for them..

Well perhaps withdrawl and disgust is not the same as apathy :)

I doubt it.

Well perhaps withdrawl and disgust is not the same as apathy :)

NO..it is apathy..(sigh)..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Soldie wrote: »
    In fairness, they only have 6 seats in government, just how much do you expect them to achieve?

They're not going to get people to eat nore fruit and veg, that's for sure. ;)

initially it'll be like this:
    angry-mob.png

But then people will look at their options seriously - Greens'll do around the same, Labour will win big though

• Advertisement

NO..it is apathy..(sigh)..

Ah well, irony is the shackles of youth.

Advertisement