Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Exam Papers ?:?????

Options
  • 10-02-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else taken a look at the previous exam questions ofr HL History and been taken aback by their abstract nature, theyre nothing like any of the essays we do, and my mate is in the institute and they dont even do essays like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah the blew me away when I first got the papers (only started looking at them recently). I was doing essays with titles such "Compare the three dictatorships"

The titles they use seem to be like concepts or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

WTF?!

They're sraightforward imo. "What contributed to the success of Sinn Fein in the 1918 general election?"

"What were the characterisitcs of the Nazi State in Germany?" Not exactly rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

No offence but why would you bother doing essays that aren't in the style of those in exam papers?! Personally, I only do essays that have either come up or have featured in the sample papers. I mean, they're the kind that will be asked. And yes i agree with k4t, most of them are sooo straightforward, not abstract at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ohthebaby wrote: »
    No offence but why would you bother doing essays that aren't in the style of those in exam papers?! Personally, I only do essays that have either come up or have featured in the sample papers. I mean, they're the kind that will be asked. .
    Yeah, we got exam paper questions for all of our 5th year tests. For LC history, it's not the way the questions are structured that's hard but the sheer amount of knowledge you must have to answer them.

More importantly: The time is the worst thing about history imo. Did you guys struggle with timing in the mocks? My hand is always aching after an English or history exam. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah, we got exam paper questions for all of our 5th year tests. For LC history, it's not the way the questions are structured that's hard but the sheer amount of knowledge you must have to answer them.

More importantly: The time is the worst thing about history imo. Did you guys struggle with timing in the mocks? My hand is always aching after an English or history exam. :(

well my problem is to always relate everything back to the question, like in every paragraph you have to say something along the lines of 'and that is why Parnell was an able leader'.
    the knowledge actually isnt too much, its simple really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

K4t wrote: »

Yeah! Well, I haven't done my mocks yet but I generally have difficulty with the timing of history. It's so frustrating, I usually know my stuff but there just isn't enough time to write it all down. Very irritating. I have English Paper 2 and History on the same day for my mocks :/ it's gonna kill my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Yeah i was seriously worried about timing for the mocks! I allocated around 40 minutes to each question so that left me with about ten at the end just to finish anything that wasn't completed. So yeah I was writing til the bitter end! My arm was sore for like the whole next day! Really you just have to have plans in your head going in to the exam, I mean there's like no time to plan. You really just have to start writing! I'd kill for an extra ten minutes even!

Advertisement