Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Pro opinions c and c optional

• 10-02-2009 8:33pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

maybe its just firefox but in lighjtroom i'm getting one shade and ff another, redid the images more conrasty but undecided which i like, opinions please?

3270066968_c0d1b98366_m.jpg vs 3269262805_f0d4e90098_m.jpg

3270068888_6573d7ed1a_m.jpg vs 3270085108_b9f8260dd5_m.jpg

3269245749_dd042596a3_m.jpg
    vs 3269261833_cda50c4026_m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

contrasty gets my vote. There isnt anything near white in the first lot so they are looking very grey, and not in a dark & moody way. Second are much edgier. Is edgier a word?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

indeed thats what i suspected. in lightroom there was visable whites... once uploaded, it all went to cack???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Definitely prefer the high contrast.

2nd one is a smashing shot.

what background colour are you using in lr? if you have the dark grey it quite often looks great then you upload it to a white background and it looks meh. Does the histogram touch the right hand side at all? spose that's the real way to tell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

elven wrote: »
    . Does the histogram touch the right hand side at all? spose that's the real way to tell.

kinda weird... it does...a good bit but the bars seem spaced out???

• Advertisement

bars? have you got spikes or do you mean horizontal bars? i wouldnt expect to see a spike there cos there's only a few pixels at the lighter end of the range. Push the exposure and watch the histogram, see how far you need to push it for the whites to look proper white when you're using a white background...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I like the second one very much.

I downloaded it and worked on two aspects.

1. The model's face is, in many areas, the same tone as the whites of her eyes, which make the eyes less dramatic.

2. The hair seems a bit "flat" and lacking texture to my eye and the "recipe" I made in DPPreview made it seem a bit more vigorous.

If you give permission, I will happily upload the version I made here, so you can compare it with the original.

(This is not a cricicism of any of the photos which are very good. It's just how I see it.)

Anouilh wrote: »
    I like the second one very much.

I downloaded it and worked on two aspects.

1. The model's face is, in many areas, the same tone as the whites of her eyes, which make the eyes less dramatic.

2. The hair seems a bit "flat" and lacking texture to my eye and the "recipe" I made in DPPreview made it seem a bit more vigorous.

If you give permission, I will happily upload the version I made here, so you can compare it with the original.

(This is not a cricicism of any of the photos which are very good. It's just how I see it.)

knock yourself out :P

(I assume (and hope) that was "yes".

This is a bit exaggerated, and makes the fabric too contrasty, I think, but it might give an idea of what I was trying to do.

6034073https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

My lightroom is far darker than my DPP and FF, very confusing.

• Advertisement

i see what your doing there, its kinda uping the brightness and contrast slighty no?

My lightroom is far darker than my DPP and FF, very confusing.

ah so its not me...

i see what your doing there, its kinda uping the brightness and contrast slighty no?

I can do a lot of tweaks without being able to describe exactly, as I don't have a full photographic vocabulary.

Some of the posters here might be able to explain better, by looking at the histograms.

Before

Changed Image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Nice shots! For 1&3 I'd go with the bright and contrasty shots but with the second shot I prefer the dark image. The bright shot is just too much (detail), the fan takes away a lot of the attention that should be going on Lina

I've just noticed that the photo in post #10 in this thread is visible only when I am signed in.

It may be the same for other viewers, so it may be worth mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

maybe its just firefox but in lighjtroom i'm getting one shade and ff another,

When you export are you using sRGB colour profile? I think ff ignores (or used to in previous versions) any colour management in any case, Safari gives better colour repro.

looks like you're either over stretching the contrast or exposure and losing a load of detail. Would you fancy sharing the original RAW so we can have a go at it?

Hugh

yeah like i maxed out the raws over exposing, I'll bang up the raws once my uploading of other stuff is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

love the contrasty versions - i've a thing for good images almost pushed to the destructive zone with blacks and contrasts and those posted above are really good.

The angle on the second is a difficult one to produce flattering styles as shooting upwards causes the most petite of individuals to have a wicked double chin. But you did well. You managed to get over most of the double chin thing but not all i'd think. I don't know how or if you can overcome it. I suspect its a trick of angles to get absolutely none. Stretching out the neck will work but then your subject will have difficulty engaging on a eye line with the camera.

I also like what Anouhil has done with that posted which has pulled back the highlights a little.

Still i'm presently liking pushing the limits to almost destructive processing proportions (I appreciate it won't be every ones cup of tea).

Nice. Well done.

ok thaks all i'm going with these

3269262805_f0d4e90098.jpg

3269261833_cda50c4026.jpg

3270068888_6573d7ed1a.jpg

tho the last one i dunno, i do think she looks a little lost in the scene...

• Advertisement

In your last reply #1 is decent, '2 is not natural, too much whatever you call it. :o
    #3 you are correct she gets lost.

On a proper pc now and I can tell you my LR is so much darker than my DPP/FF
    I've gotten around this slightly by guessing.... :D
    Having said that if I was a serious portrait photographer It would not be an ideal scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

indeed thats what i suspected. in lightroom there was visable whites... once uploaded, it all went to cack???

slightly off topic but when you upload them to flickr the images are processed (to put them into database i think) as a result they are sharpened slightly that is the reason for the change there might also be a problem with using adobe rgb colour profile image withe mozilla/firefox probably best to change it sRGB

I cannot see the second ones in at the moment in the first and third

but the first group of images: the one I can see the righthand side is lovely and seems nearly perfect

the second group the first one seems too dark (esp around the models eyes) and the second one seems too bright my opinion is that go to the first one and try to get rid of the really dark shades around the eyes unless you are going for a vampish look

third group of images can see only the right hand side and it seems too contrasty to me I would lighten the shadow on her face

Sheesh I don't Use flickr and I suffer this problem b4 I even upload!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yup, make sure in your workflow from camera -> lightroom -> Photoshop -> Firefox that everything is sRGB. I'd also advise swapping to safari as it is (I think) the only 'proper' coulour-managed browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I would suspect that the problem lies in colour profiling, I had the same issue with my camera and LR using AdobeRGB but most browsers using sRGB, resulting in darker colours and often a green cast.

Just check your export settings to make sure it's exporting to the sRGB colour profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sheesh I don't Use flickr and I suffer this problem b4 I even upload!!

check colour profile as well so it might be Adobe rgb and not sRGB

basically any hosting service that imports you images into a database or supplies multiple versions could have this problem the reason I mention flickr is that i have seen it over sharpen images I have uploaded

Advertisement