Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Italy - SS1 KO 7:45

• 10-02-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this? Robino, Ronaldinho, Elano and Adriano start for Brazil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Going to flick between this and the U21 Ireland V Germany match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Unluck to be ruled offside there for Grosso, very good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

1-0. Elano. Very nice move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Goal yeah. Now why cant he do that for City ?

Great one touch passing from Brazil, leading to a goal for Elano. 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Good move!

Is it true Italy are playing Brazil because they wanted to practice against a side with the same style and qualities as their main rivals in their qualification group?

Not impressed with Dani Alves and Pato being stuck on the bench nor Camoranesi, Toni, Aquilani, Iaquinta and Rossi. Italy seem to have a much stronger squad in my opinion if you look at the bench although Kaka is injured. Friendly my arse ! Both sides have very strong sides out there and if anyone watched Lippi yesterday he said this was no friendly.

Edit: Watch Melo lads. He is making his debut in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

that was some goal scored by Brazil. Is Kaka on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Is it true Italy are playing Brazil because they wanted to practice against a side with the same style and qualities as their main rivals in their qualification group?
    :D

• Advertisement

Class Robinho but what was Pirlo doing. Ball given away to easily there.

EDIT: No way Buffon could have saved that. It was perfectly into the corner.

another super goal by robinho.
    Brazil aren't a patch on Ireland

syngindub wrote: »
    that was some goal scored by Brazil. Is Kaka on the bench?

Pulled out with a foot injury he picked up playing for Milan at the weekend.

2-0 Robinho. Just class...

i'd like to see Pirlo doing that against Ireland,

Can't see many players being able to capitalise on it the way Robinho did there,

The footwork was just amazing, Ronaldo eat your heart out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pirlo is humiliating himself out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Lol at Pirlo....he could not be arsed!!:D

all football supporters should be watching this.
    class stuff. If you don't appreciate this then there's no hope for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Great strategy by the Italian Team to pretend to be superweak, so that teams for future official matches will underestimate them. Just genius :cool:

Italy abysmal at the back but so what

awful from Zambrotta there. Running up the wing, stops turns back and passes it back while giving away possession for a Brazil counter. School boy, no ?

• Advertisement

obviously Lippi isn't applying the "no such thing as a friendly" mentality to his players

Emm.......does Robinho know he is being subbed or something. Half-time whistle and he swaps shirts with Cannavaro !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dunga has such bad taste in fashion. His Del Boy jacket is a fine example of that fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

streams?

roryc wrote: »
    streams?

http://www.rte.ie/live/ ROI only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

cheers, playing pro ev on TV :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I broke my Fifa disc :(

I'm going to your house then :pac:

Anyone else think Brazil will walk this match 4 - 0? Or will Italy put on loads of subs and change the game?

• Advertisement

Great news, Toni, Rossi and Camoranesi to spice up the Italian attack. Lets up it does.

GF must be out tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Imagine been stuck in a lift with Kenny Cunningham!

I'd rather be dead!

he needs to shave that head

Is it just me or does Buffon look the spitting image of William Fichtner from Prison Break ?

prisonbillficht.jpg

Gianluigi%20Buffon%20(Juventus)%20(Omega).jpg

Can see the resemblence alright. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

slight resemblance at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nothing like each other.

Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Haha toni

Great goal from Toni. Really showed his strength. Pity was ruled out.

Maybe he asked Bennett for a yellow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Even though he's done ok, Ronaldinho doesn't look like the player he was while at Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

ah alves does a roberto carlos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

What the final score in this? Cant get to a tv.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2-0 afaik didnt watch the last few minutes

2-0. Elano and Robinho with the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

redout wrote: »
    Great goal from Toni. Really showed his strength. Pity was ruled out.

Strength? He stank at Euro 08.

Pity? He cheated ffs. It was all well and good when Maradona did it but that was a blow against Falklands colonialism and football cockyness. :pac:

Great first half, bit quiet the second. While Italy were off form I am really sceptical at the thought of Whelan and Andrews being the wall against the Italians meeting McShambles. Unfortunately I was stuck in the mindset of this still being the Italy of Euro 08, I even had a win being a viable result in Bari in my mind.

From what I saw tonight, despite losing they are a million miles from the laughable performances they brought to the Euros. We would be very very lucky to scrape a draw in even one of our meetings, never mind both.

edit- like the way the RTE rolling credits showed Ronaldinhio licking his tongue about a half mile outside his mouth, followed by a shot of some gorgeous dark haired supporter in the crowd. Summed up my feeling.....cept my tongue is longer baby :p

The opening clips also reminded me that the first match I recall watching in its entirety was the 1994 Brazil Italy final, recall the shoot out quite well even though I was only 7. Remember shades of Ireland matches and the whole 1990 buzz (boiling hot summer, flags everywhere, kids singing Ole Ole, I remember 2 second clips at a time :D ) before then but I distinctly recall the shoot out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

our 2 central midfielders will get destroyed by pirlo.

i know that doesnt say much.................. what a goal by robinho...class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Brazil - it's just like watchin City

Just for Xavi.........

City 2 Italy 0

February 10, 2009

ROBINHO inspired Brazil to victory over world champions Italy in a thrilling encounter at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium tonight.

The Manchester City man set up the first for club-mate Elano before doubling Brazil's lead in the 27th minute.

At the other end, Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar was in stunning form to snuff out any Italian threat.

The prestigious friendly began at breakneck speed with the players clearly keen to impress.

Italy almost got off to the best possible start as Fabio Grosso put through Alberto Gilardino, but a timely tackle from Juan prevented the world champions from drawing first blood.

Grosso had the ball in the back of the net seconds later as he raced into the penalty area to volley a long pass from midfield past Julio Cesar, but it was ruled out for a tight offside decision.

Dunga's men began to get into their stride, however, and were looking very dangerous.

Robinho in particular was dazzling the Italian defence and calling for every ball, and he was instrumental in Brazil taking the lead in the 13th minute.

Elano backheeled the ball to Robinho, who instantly returned it for his City team-mate to muscle his way past several Azzurri defenders before unleashing a shot into the bottom right corner.

Brazil, famed for their attacking flair, proved they know how to defend, too.

At several points in the game the Selecao were camped in their own half.

Nevertheless, they were quick to drive forward, with Ronaldinho leading dangerous-looking counter-attacks time and time again.

It was from one of those that Brazil doubled their lead.

Ronaldinho's cross was intercepted by Andrea Pirlo but he was too slow to clear the danger and Robinho nipped in and stole the ball off him before dribbling his way past three players and firing past Gianluigi Buffon's outstretched hand and into the far right corner.

Daniele De Rossi went closest for Italy in the 35th minute only to be denied by a brilliant stop from Julio Cesar.

The Azzurri got more into the game at the end of the half and seemed determined to continue that improvement after the break.

However, they could find no way past the gold shirts and it was Brazil who went closest when Maicon put in a dangerous-looking cross that Gianluca Zambrotta had to be alert to clear over the bar.

Nevertheless, the Azzurri, who had brought on Mauro Camoranesi, Luca Toni and Giuseppe Rossi at the break, were definitely posing more of a threat.

Toni thought he had pulled one back in the 65th minute as he latched onto Pirlo's through-ball and muscled his way past Lucio and Juan, but his effort was ruled out for handball.

Italy looked a different prospect with Toni on the pitch, but the Bayern Munich striker wasted a good opportunity when he latched onto Camoranesi's pass but slipped when in a good position as he attempted to round his marker.

Toni would have got his goal eight minutes from time were it not for a wonderful save from Julio Cesar to deny him at point-blank range, much to the 31-year-old's obvious shock.

Brazil could have grabbed another when Buffon spilled Ronaldinho's free-kick, but the Italian defence was swift to clear the danger.

Julio Cesar pulled off another stunning stop three minutes from time to keep out Simone Perrotta's free-kick and ensure Brazil kept a clean sheet.

I dont think we can take too much from this game to be honest. Brazil won but the Italians had the ball in the net twice themselves and Julio Cesar made numerous top class saves (oh, United take note there) to keep Brazil in front. Thought both sides were quite good an made a very enjoyable game of ball to watch. Luca Toni seemed to spark the Italians into life in the second half and were more threatening than the first. I would be very worried for Ireland after watching the Italians tonight. They were quite dangerous in attack and I dont see our defence holding out against that, well at least not in Bari anyway. Just incase you'se think thats your lot lads well then alas because Messi and co. take on the frogs tomorrow night in whats sure to be another cracker with more talent on display than the X-Factor !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was delighted to see Ronaldinho play sop good again last night. Reminded me of him in his pomp with Barca - always looking for the ball, short clever passes, incisive runs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement