Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Santino Marella destined to be a Comical Jobber forever?

• 10-02-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

You have to admit that Santino Marella's comedy is the sole thing that is helping him keep his WWE career intact. WWE has an option of revealing to everyone, Santino's wrestling skills, but maybe they think that would be too easy. Mybe once the creative team can no longer think of funny things for him to say or do, then they'll reveal that he can actually wrestle. But I think it might be a little too late, as his time as the comedic man on RAW has expired. RAW already has comedy with Goldust and Charlie Haas.

Enter Smackdown: The smartest thing that WWE can do is have ''Glamarella'' break up and have Santino drafted to SD! in the 2009 WWE Draft. He can begin as a comedian, but then slowly show that he is capable of getting it done in the ring. He starts off getting wins against people like Jimmy Wang Yang and Kung Fu Naki. Then make his way up to Hawkins & Ryder and The Brian Kendrick. And when WWE feels he's ready he'll get wins against the likes of M.V.P., Shelton Benjamin, and Mr. Kennedy.

Once they feel confident enough, he can then become a contender for the U.S. Championship, and bring some new fueds along. I feel that going to Smackdown would allow Santino Marella to shine like a star as long as the creative team books him the right way. So I don't feel it's too late for a gimmick change on the part of Marella.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think that the comic heel gimmick is great. It suits him so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm worried... for the last 2 or 3 weeks he's gotten no mic time from what i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

golfguy wrote: »
    WWE has an option of revealing to everyone, Santino's wrestling skills, but maybe they think that would be too easy. Mybe once the creative team can no longer think of funny things for him to say or do, then they'll reveal that he can actually wrestle.
    What wrestling skills? Santino is pretty **** in the ring. Remember his first IC run as a face? Man that was terrible.

So I don't feel it's too late for a gimmick change on the part of Marella.
    Santino's gimmick is all he has. And its worked well for him and the company. Changing it would be a very bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

How do you know? Any match he's been in lately has been a squash, i doubt he's ever wrestled in a match longer than 3 minutes in the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

santano can get by with very little mic time because his manerisams around the ring when beth is wrestling is where he shines and his fasial experisions are brilent, a move to sd to challenge for the us title wouldnt be that big of a step up from being on air every week, and being given mic time (its more than cm punk gets) and hes always a contender for the ic title whenever they need a transional champ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I've been thinking about this a bit lately alright, it's in ring skills are still very lacking but his mic skills are obviously some of the best in the business at the minute. In the long run i can't ever see him being let go or anything like that for the usual reason, he's still only 29 so that gives him a solid 7/8 to become very good all-round.

Whether he'll always be a comedy jobber, i'm not so sure. We know it's very easy for WWE to just change someone's character without too much heed for it's audiences intelligence so I wouldn't say it would be out of the question that down the line (if he improves a lot in the ring) that they have him loose the Italian gimmick and just say he's Canadian and he's a legit judo champ, etc. For me if he can do them comedy skits as well as he can, then he can definitely do more serious ones just as easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

He's not that bad a wrestler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

He's not that bad a wrestler

I think that just shows just how good he really is right there.

I expect them to build him up into a role where he is all smiles until something happens that makes him turn and become some sort of pis.sed off italian who brings in all his judo abilities and then he is pushed as a proper wrestler.

Anyone else think theres a shot in that video that makes him look like batista? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Kurt Angle is who he reminds me of in most of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Santino beat Umaga single handingly (sp?) to become IC Champion. IMO he should main even WM25 against Cena and take the title away from him. He would be a great champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I was looking for Beth Phoenix to start "training" him to be a better wrestler and for him to slowly start becoming a proper contender. Alternatively when his comic star shines out (and it will) they could give him the ultimate humiliation to put his character in the pits and angrier or more competitive than before. A bit hard to find something more humiliating than he's alrteady been through but i'm sur ethey could find something.

Otherwise he will just waste away and lose his overness with the fans and die out as a regular jobber.

Advertisement