Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

phases

• 10-02-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I just saw someone post about having a 'black & white' phase just now and they've just got out of a 'vignette' one, i've been stuck in a 'delicate' phase for bloody ages but before that i was all dark and moody. I think it's stuff like this that's making me step away from the black slider though, can't get enough of it.

Are you mostly enjoying something in particular just now? Do you know where it came from?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

contrast for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I've mostly been in a "what the hell am i doing phase". Possibly because i went from not having an interest, to being extremely interested, to a bridge, to a dSLR in a short space of time. I think the doubling off the learning curves and the fact that when you are new to anything means you are a bit skittish stopped me having any major phases.

I reckon one is due to kick in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

elven wrote: »
    I just saw someone post about having a 'black & white' phase just now and they've just got out of a 'vignette' one, i've been stuck in a 'delicate' phase for bloody ages but before that i was all dark and moody. I think it's stuff like this that's making me step away from the black slider though, can't get enough of it.

Are you mostly enjoying something in particular just now? Do you know where it came from?

Well , the link does nought for me .. the horizon isn't elven straight :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

yup - i'm the one in the black and white at the moment. I seem to be seeing in black and white these days. Mind you I haven't been overly bothered to include my last phase being the vignette which I thought I would. Maybe I got that one out of my system. Definitely books that I'm perusing at the moment is the cause. And in reality i'm trying to mimic some of what I see - ah sure..... one can try I guess. The other thing i'm beginning to really like is what i posted over on one of the C&C threads about destructive processing - pushing the blacks a little too far, pushing the whites a little too far, noise the poor mans grain being a subject of great beauty..... Hmnnnnn...... in 6 months time i'll probably look back and say "what the f*** were ya at ye eegit" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Ok, being serious :p

Some of these phases kinda confuse me a bit. I mean contrast ,vignette or whatever, whilst good on and off, are surely just limiting factors if taken to the stage of a "phase" .:confused:

The phase I'm in at the moment is more a photographic that a photo phase. I suppose before I strove to tell a story in one photo and now I strive to tell a story in a series of photos. I never was one for the complexities in life :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Recent phases: square, flowers, kids, landscapes, manual focus lenses, 120 film

what's next, I dunno. Maybe strobism, budget allowing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'm going through a bit of a B&W phase, usually I hate turning my shots from colour to B&W but I'm enjoying it lately. I never had the nack of it before but think I'm slowly getting it. It helps to look at some of the stuff from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Have never gone through a phase. If I take a rake of shots I treat each one individually and use the subject as the key to the treatment. I'm not organised enough to do anything else. I'm with Covey in not complexing things too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am in the phase - visible in the picture is irrelevant, get behind what you see. Lucky for you all I don't post pictures like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

It's true about the limiting factors thing. I used the holga lens so much that i got used to it's 'look' and now it's almost a parody of itself and i'm limiting myself when i pick it up because what i then see is all the shots i've already taken with it, because i know what i liked already.

I'm pretty sure it's come up before but i see it a little bit like trying on loads of different kinds of clothes - after i've tried them all i'll take bits and pieces from each style, and mix them all together to make my own. But the trying on part is fun :) That's where what danny said comes in about treating each image based on its own, having tried a load of different stuff, i get a better idea of what'll fit a particular shot.

There's a whole other level when it comes to what you're doing with your stuff beyond 'looks' like covey's stories with series thing. I can't even get that straight in my own head so i'm not going to try and write it out sensibly here... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Elven, you have to realise that Covey is unlimited now with his newly purchased 5D ;)
    And in fairness, it is not so hard to notice phases of regular posters here. It goes hand in hand both with available hardware and progress in processing techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I'm trying to get out of my "sucks at photography" stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think my phases are more of a 'I like that, how can I use that next and build upon it' phase, in the ultimate aim of finding a 'style' I can work with.

I'm currently shooting a 16mm film camera to enlarge stills from it... Grain and blur... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Heinlein

Just got out of the "no photography at all" phase, which lasted a whole year. The itch started again though a few weeks ago for very personal reasons, basically negative ones. As a consequence it's going to be a B&W phase I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think my phases are more of a 'I like that, how can I use that next and build upon it' phase, in the ultimate aim of finding a 'style' I can work with.

I'm currently shooting a 16mm film camera to enlarge stills from it... Grain and blur... :)

god almighty. When I got a half frame camera it took me ages to get through a roll of 72 frames. How many shots do you get off 50ft of film in a 16mm film camera ???!?!?!? :D

-edit- ok after a bit of googling, thats roughly 2800 frames assuming 50ft & 24fps. Thats a lotta frames :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Snowdrops phase here ATM, but I'm fairly confident I'll soon progress to daffodils, after that you never know what bloom will take my fancy...:rolleyes:

It's 100ft of film :p

The camera's set at a film speed of 16 though, but tbh, it's acting up at the moment, so I don't know how accurate that is... It seems to go from 27 frames to 8 frames quite randomly from the sounds of it... :-/

After 2 days, I'm through about 70 foot, but tbh, you don't see it going!!!

Essentially, I'm hoping a print will be anything from 16 to 50 frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

you should try it on Super8 on a really grainy stock, it'd look something like this:
    D9D42E7AE60548DBBB8A38A07A5AD2D0.jpg

ps sorry about the low res

Don't apologise - It's super 8! :p

Super 8 is next on the lineup I reckon, just testing with the 16mm as the camera was handy and the film was begging to be used (And tis all free... for the moment... )

Advertisement