Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your own horsebox?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there - as someone who doesn't own a horse/pony but it thinking about it - can i ask another strange question please? :)

How many of your horse owners have your own horsebox, and if you don't what kind of access have you got to share one, or what do you do?
    I often wonder if there is any point in buying a horse if I don't ever really intend to buy a h/box - in terms of going to the odd riding club show or whatever? It seems like such a big hurdle to learn to trail a h/box behind you, plus i have a totally insufficient car for doing that kind of thing!!

What does everyone think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

bunyip123 wrote: »
    Hi there - as someone who doesn't own a horse/pony but it thinking about it - can i ask another strange question please? :)

How many of your horse owners have your own horsebox, and if you don't what kind of access have you got to share one, or what do you do?
    I often wonder if there is any point in buying a horse if I don't ever really intend to buy a h/box - in terms of going to the odd riding club show or whatever? It seems like such a big hurdle to learn to trail a h/box behind you, plus i have a totally insufficient car for doing that kind of thing!!

What does everyone think?

Hi i can see your point i suppose in your case it would be best to see if there is anyone in your riding club or anyone you know who you would be willing to share costs etc .
    On the other land i have heard of and witnessed so many stories of people who have borrowed boxes from people and they have damaged it crashed it or had a horse who was not comfortable travelling and jumped over the front bar taking a lump out of the partition . Damaging the jockey wheel by not winding it up- THIS Happened 4 yrs ago on a new Ifor williams
    Horses breaking free panicking and escaping through jockey door.

So looking from another point would be some people would not be willing to share as they have a horse who travels alone and would get distressed( if they travelled with another horse) and that horse was unloaded causing distress to the owner of the horse & box .

They are factors to consider and all horse owners have a responsibility to ensure their horses are comfortable loading and unloading and are comfortable travelling.

Ok so back to your point i do see where you are coming from if you are only going to a handful of shows you do not see the point in buying something expensive when you would not get the use out of it and as you said you do not have a proper vehicle to tow a horse box with an animal in it .

I use my box approx 5-6 times a week in winter and summer .
    Over the years i have been good to people pulling horses all over for them but to be honest it is not financial reward i am after but yes a few pound towards fuel is handy and is appreciated some people i have found do not realise the wear and tear that is caused on a box and the hassle of hanging around for someone if they cant load up and be efficient!

Selfish i may sound but when you have family to think of and by the time you get home unload horse& tack, rug up feed etc clean ot horse box unhitch it is a considerable amount of time.

BUT All of the above could change if you kept you horse at a livery yard with others

The above is my opinion as i keep my horses at home.& dropping someone off elsewhere& collecting them would be too time counsuming .
    Time spend collecting someone etc could have a stable mucked out dinner prepared etc etc!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Depends where you keep your horse,
    when i first bought mine I drove an old micra, so saving for a "new" car and horsebox took a couple of years. The livery yard I kept her in then was within hacking distance of local shows, and I could also borrow one from a friend who didn't use their box much once I'd eventually changed the car.

The yard I'm now in has trailers that can be hired/borrowed and I have seen other livery yards use their own lorries to bring groups from their yard to local shows for a small charge.
    If you intend doing a lot of shows having your own transport and getting the proper driving licence is essential. If you're only going to a few that need a lift- cultivate new horsey friends with big engined cars and 2 box trailers who will being going to the shows you want to go to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

hi there, thanks to you both for the useful posts!

I agree with you monflat - in the sense that i would feel bad myself if i was getting a 'lift' with someone and having them waiting or maybe driving a bit out of their way. even if you did give petrol money. As you said, these things take up a lot of time and everyone has a lot of other stuff to be doing as well as the 'horse' side of their lives.

i think i would be happy enough to take my chances, do the odd show here and there if they livery yard had a lorry and maybe i could get the occasional spot on the lorry. i wouldnt be big into competing to be honest, and i'd be happy enough doing 'in house' shows if i found the right yard.

i think the lesson is, once i am prepared to be flexible and happy that i may not be able to travel at all sometimes, and just work with it! and besides, maybe i would pluck up the courage to go the whole hog with a h/box! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I always "piggy back" with other club members, we always pay diesel money to the driver and try to go with people of our own grade,so there's not too much hanging around.

Advertisement