Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RIO-Salthill

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Whats going on there? Im aware of what look like phone masts on the roof but i pass by it almost daily and there is always a light on in the reception yet nobody seems there?

Should i move this to the Paranormal section?:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've been meaning to ask this question! Would love to get a look in there to see what it's like. Yup there's phone masts on the roof.

I wonder if they get any bookings for busy events like the Races etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

I always wondered bout that place as well. guess its like that Burren Mount in front of the prom carpark. an elderly owner hanging on to the 'gud auld days' when their hotels meant something.

Used to work in a hotel in salthill couple of years ago, the manager told me how much the hotel was getting for putting up mobile masts, in the several tens of thousands per year. they dont need planning permission or something i guess!

perhaps that the reason these places are still open without guests. creepy!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I once did a gig in the Roisin Dubh with another guy as "A Silver Mt. Burren" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I never noticed the masts but will look out for them next time I pass. It looks like the place hasn't changed sinced the 50s, 60s, 70s when couples used to come on their honeymoons and what not. Makes me smile every time I pass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Here are the Masts as seen from Lower S/Hill Direction coming from the Warwick.

Image005.jpg

Taken today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mr.goon

I know the area very well, those masts went up about 4/5 years ago. I hear they get a lot of €€€€€ for havin the masts so probably why they don't open the dive up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

i wonder if the peope living beside it even know whats going on and if there's even anything they could do about it.

These masts are actually on a lot of buildings around town. its how the phone companies get 100% coverage without pissing off the public!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

4arc wrote: »
    i wonder if the peope living beside it even know whats going on and if there's even anything they could do about it.

Do/Know about what? They're mobile phone masts, not Doomsday devices :p

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

is it still open?? i always see a moped parked outside

Advertisement