Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What is it?

A frozen swiss roll?

I'm 29 btw, never seen, or heard of, these before

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

Tesco are suppose to be doing them,Not seen any yet will look tomorrow when I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Des wrote: »
    What is it?

A frozen swiss roll?

I'm 29 btw, never seen, or heard of, these before

Twas a recession desert from the 80s. I'm only a couple of years older than you and I remember it. See more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_roll

Vienetta came along after a few years and stole it's thunder.

We've all since gotten above our stations, eating Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerrys.

Tis no wonder the country is fecked :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

On a shopping trip to Northern Ireland yesterday and bought one in Sainsburys in Sprucefield. Haven't seen them in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I hate sponge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

On a shopping trip to Northern Ireland yesterday and bought one in Sainsburys in Sprucefield. Haven't seen them in the Republic.

Fantastic! Let me know if they still taste yummy please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Yea, still good, nice raspberry bit in the middle. And the sponge seems to defrost withing seconds of coming out of the freezer. Carefully hidden amongst the brussel sprouts and other veg so my kids don't find it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 colinn

just gave birdseye a call they said there not on sale in the republic of ireland and couldnt tell me if they ever would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I bought one in SuperValu in Manynooth recently. I don't think it was the Birdseye one but it as yumilicious. I've seen them in small shops, like independent ones and in garage shops and stuff. The big stores are too snobby to stock them I'd imagine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Doesn't look very exciting, though the chocolate one looks yum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hmm I remember this from childhood must get some when I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Doesn't look very exciting, though the chocolate one looks yum :)

It's not :(

Oh no, really? I'm quite disappointed.

Really really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

'Fraid so. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I spotted it in Sainsbury's....popped one in the trolley, raced home, dived into it (to sounds of the OH lol-ing at me) and it was rank. Cheap chocolate ice-cream at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They have these in Tesco now since they've started introducing more items that are available in their UK stores in the Republic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I bought one in SuperValu in Manynooth recently. I don't think it was the Birdseye one but it as yumilicious. I've seen them in small shops, like independent ones and in garage shops and stuff. The big stores are too snobby to stock them I'd imagine :p

Off to superb value i go when i get home.

Des i'll give you a full report, being 29 too i had never heard of this and am quite excited about it.

mick_irl wrote: »

Much nicer than your fancy smancy Ben & Jerrys!

False!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I know this is a very old thread but you don't see Arctic Rolls in the shop very often.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-7-september/products-detail-page/ps/p/ice-cream-roll-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Weyhey wrote: »
    I know this is a very old thread but you don't see Arctic Rolls in the shop very often.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-7-september/products-detail-page/ps/p/ice-cream-roll-1/

Yes, Zombie revival.. Looking at the date on _Whimsical_'s post, I think the Tesco Arctic Rolls have been and gone, no longer stocked, as far as I can tell.. I was very partial to them.

December 2011 - Daily Mail: The cold shoulder for Arctic Roll: Major supermarkets abandon traditional Christmas treat as demand plummets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2070088/Arctic-Roll-Major-supermarkets-abandon-traditional-Christmas-treat-demand-plummets.html

A minute of silence please.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Weyhey wrote: »

Saw this in Aldi last weekend, and meant to buy it before I left but forgot!!
    Anyone try it?
    Hope they still have them in stock when I go back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Saw this in Aldi last weekend, and meant to buy it before I left but forgot!!
    Anyone try it?
    Hope they still have them in stock when I go back..

Last summer I had it from Aldi yeah! Nice, but the novelty wore off very quickly! We recently chucked out a roll and a half that was left at the back of the freezer since last summer!

Advertisement