Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG - Freehand Sketches?!?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What is the story with freehand sketches. Do i need to sketch them directly onto the brief or scan up sketches that i do in a sketch copy and print them out? My teacher thinks that we are only allowed sketch them directly onto the brief or to stick them on with pritt-stick, but i think that this would make a mess of the brief. Just wondering what everybody else is doing with their sketches and if you heard differently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

As much as I hate to say it, think your teachers right. If you don't draw it directly on, it could be argued that you just got it as a pic off the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dcg

would it be acceptable to include a portfolio of sketches as part of the appendix we have to include anyway?

yeah, i'd say that would be fine, because you cant lose any marks for it, and you might get some extra for extra effort (and I mean might)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

The freehand sketches should be done on the actual sheets.
    The question of would it be acceptable to do them separately and then include them with the project is highly debatable as it would most defiantly put you over the 14 page maximum sheets we are allowed put in our portfolio for the project.

Well, I'm assuming that the OP intended to use his/her idea of scanning the drawing as one of the 14 pages, and include the sheet with drawings as extra.

Besides, you can't be docked marks for including to much, can you?

• Advertisement

From what I understand you will not get any marks for including anything extra. It is entirely possible that it may be decided that it is incorrect to print copies of your drawn work and use it on your main sheets. Because your actual drawn work will be outside the 14 sheets you could not get any marks for your actual work at all.
    The problem also presents its self that the ring binder clips the most schools have bought will only hold about 14 sheets. Where do you plan putting the extra sheets.
    Its better to stick with what everyone else is doing until it is confirmed that this is acceptable.

If you do decide to do it this way however because this is the first year and this has not been dealt with you might still get the marks. If they didn't say it its not incorrect. If they do decide it is incorrect they should only put more conditions on next years project. It would be unfair to dock you marks for something they have never said should not be done.

I would suggest that you try do the freehand sketching on the actual sheets though. Try doing the sketch with a 2H pencil to get the sketch right first (Its easier to rub out and doesn't leave noticeable marks on the sheets.). Then go over it with the 4B sketching pencil when you are happy. This limits the amount of stray marks on the sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

When rendering the sketch does the dock have to be the colour it is in real life, or can the colour be changed to give a nicer effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

eoccork wrote: »
    When rendering the sketch does the dock have to be the colour it is in real life, or can the colour be changed to give a nicer effect.

We have been told it only has to be a 'representation' so whatever colour schemes etc you want to include to make it more aesthetically pleasing are acceptable. For example my docking station is predominantly white but I'll probably do it in blue because white would be awkward to do on white paper.
    But with the way the course is developing, what you are told by a teacher in one school can totally conflict with what someone else has been told so i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

As weve been told its only output 3 that has to be the original sketch the rest can be scanned in

As weve been told its only output 3 that has to be the original sketch the rest can be scanned in
    In other words your teacher is saying that none of the teachers have actually been told and are making assumptions.

I hope they get all of this sorted out for next years students because at this point they defiantly don't have time to fix it for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

Can someone please help, i feally need the name of a good docking station to use for the project.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I think you should probably choose the most simple one you can find because you really don't have much time left and it would be a lot easier to modify.You could model it on a picture from the internet if its a basic one just do an image search.I aws just wondering why you left this untill there was only 2 weeks left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Des23 wrote: »
    We have been told it only has to be a 'representation' so whatever colour schemes etc you want to include to make it more aesthetically pleasing are acceptable. For example my docking station is predominantly white but I'll probably do it in blue because white would be awkward to do on white paper.
    But with the way the course is developing, what you are told by a teacher in one school can totally conflict with what someone else has been told so i could be wrong.

Ya, my one was all black, as in everything is black so when I modeled it in SolidWorks all you could see was a big black blob on the screen. You couldn't see any of the details or anything so my teacher asked at in-service could colour schemes be changed and he was told that you can. The colour dosen't have to match the colour in real life. Mine is now red with all the buttons and details in black.

Annie2, why are you leaving it so late? Try the philips ones, a lot of them are fairly simple and you can download specifications and drawings from their website. Try this one:
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ie/consumer/cc/_productid_DC910_05_IE_CONSUMER/Docking-Entertainment-System+DC910-05

Annie2, why are you leaving it so late? Try the philips ones, a lot of them are fairly simple and you can download specifications and drawings from their website.

I have been out of school for about six weeks due to personal reasons and I really want to try and get this project done because I really don't want to repeat next year and I need to do honours for the points. Thanks for the docking station suggestion. Do you think that I coould get a good honour by using one this simple looking?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

If you devote as much time as you can you still have the majority of a month to get it done, but it will be very tight.
    Also its only 40% so if you even were to do average in the project you could still come out with a reasonable grade after the drawing section.
    Its better than repeating!
    Good Luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Annie2 wrote: »
    I have been out of school for about six weeks due to personal reasons and I really want to try and get this project done because I really don't want to repeat next year and I need to do honours for the points. Thanks for the docking station suggestion. Do you think that I coould get a good honour by using one this simple looking?:confused:

Ya, that would only be a problem if you put on your brief that you picked it because you were out of time and needed to pick an easy one. Just say that you thought the design was very appealing to you as you liked the sharp, extreme edges that were symbolic of the sharp and crisp sound that it creates. You could even say that it would fit on your shelf or something! Contrast it with a large, hi-fi style, cumbersome, separate speakers, curvy type of docking station to prove why you like that one. A well drawn simple dock is far better than taking on a complex dock at this stage, imo.

PS. If you have any more questions regarding the docking station, feel free to ask for advice.

There is no magic formula for this project, nobody really knows what to do. Everyone is in the same boat so what you can do in a rush may be exactly what they are looking for, not some over-computerised project!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

whats the story with the modifications... im thinking along the lines of having one page with seperate scketches of the modifications and then a second page with one complete drawin of the dock with all the mods on it... suggestions???

also do you think that adding a remote control is a sufficient modification????

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

croker1 wrote: »

also do you think that adding a remote control is a sufficient modification????

It might be, but I would add more than one modification if you are having the remote as a modification.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

i know that! the remote is one of about 4... i changed the size, i changed the display screen, i added a light and the remote.... is that enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I wouldn't have thought a remote would be an allowable modification, the infra-red receiver perhaps, but the remote is separate. That's just what I thought.

• Advertisement

I added a remote as part of a modification. However with the remote I also added a slot on the actual docking station for it to be stored in.
    If a remote alone doesn't count I guess I have covered myself.

That said however several people in my class have added remotes as modifications for the docking station without changing anything on the actual docking station.

Frankly I don't see the problem with this as section 7 of the brief states we had to "Justify the chosen solution(s) including aesthetics, functionality and environmental sustainability."

In my mind adding a remote would be justifiable under functionality. I dont see a problem with it because of that.

That seems fair enough.
    I was just curious, how much detail is everyone putting into things such as the text on the object, one of the people in my class had all the text, copyrights and everything embossed onto the back of his. He had every single piece of text on the object modelled, is that what we need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Heggy wrote: »
    That seems fair enough.
    I was just curious, how much detail is everyone putting into things such as the text on the object, one of the people in my class had all the text, copyrights and everything embossed onto the back of his. He had every single piece of text on the object modelled, is that what we need to do?
    I highly doubt they're looking for that much detail. Everyone in my class just has the model and make on it, some have no text at all.

On the model I did I included the brand name on the front of the docking station. There was also a label on the back of the docking station which I tried to duplicate as much as possible. Because the original label contained symbols I couldn't put them on the model.

I tried to duplicate as much of the text as possible though.

[quote=If you have any more questions regarding the docking station, feel free to ask for advice. [/quote]

Does anyone think that a docking station with seperate speakers would be a good idea to start at such a late stage?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If you didn't do the insides of the speakers and just put some mesh on it then you'd be OK for time.

It's usually the small details that end up taking up all the time. If you think you can get the main shape right, working your way from the largest things to the smallest things, you should be able to get a decent amount done anyway.
    It varies with the dock, but external speakers aren't usually too complicated, unless they're really curvy ones, but lofts and guide curves will even sort those out.
    If you can work hard at home, you'll be much quicker doing it in the school. Not all the marks are in the models either, there are the sketches and comparisons too.

*edit
    The suggested scheme is at the end of the guide.
    Exploration of brief - 10 marks
    Comparison - 20
    Presentation of artefact - 20
    Model - 30
    Orthographic, pictorial and exploded view - 20
    Photorealistic image - 10
    Analysis and idea progression - 20
    Model - 30
    3d Sketch - 10

Advertisement