Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learned something new today

• 10-02-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Now the auld Flutt can be a cantankerous cnunt betimes, and investigative too.

When he hears sommit on the wireless that seems "out of kilter" it resonates rather badly.

Now, recently this dude Ian McKeever, what is he ? who is he? fooked if the Flutther knew, but turns out he springs up on the PK show very often and regularly.
    Climbing mountains in different continents, all that crack,but the kernel of the thing,seemed to have a fookin direct line to Pat and all that stuff.

Had the Flutther pixilated. Who the fook is he??

recently there was an attempt to break some rowing transatlantic record, and lo and behold there were regular reports from, you guessed it, Ian McKeever on sat phone to Pat.

The Flutther just couldn't make this add up.......until yesterday

Ian is in again reporting on the failure of the record attempt,and turns out he is good mates with a researcher on the PK shoe Jonathan sommat.
    Penny drops.

All things come to he who waits.

Nice to know how the system works:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

When he hears sommit on the wireless that seems "out of kilter" it resonates rather badly.

Now, recently this dude Ian McKeever, what is he ? who is he? fooked if the Flutther knew, but turns out he springs up on the PK show very often and regularly.
    Climbing mountains in different continents, all that crack,but the kernel of the thing,seemed to have a fookin direct line to Pat and all that stuff.

Had the Flutther pixilated. Who the fook is he??

recently there was an attempt to break some rowing transatlantic record, and lo and behold there were regular reports from, you guessed it, Ian McKeever on sat phone to Pat.

The Flutther just couldn't make this add up.......until yesterday

Ian is in again reporting on the failure of the record attempt,and turns out he is good mates with a researcher on the PK shoe Jonathan sommat.
    Penny drops.

All things come to he who waits.

Ian McKeever has been broadcasting on Irish radio for the best part of a decade now. I first heard him on Today FM in the 90's. AA Roadwatch firstly, and then on separate programmes, like Eamon Dunphy and Sam Smyth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What is his background and what does he do to earn a crust???

(Apart from look for sponsorship);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

2fivers wrote: »
    Ian McKeever has been broadcasting on Irish radio for the best part of a decade now. I first heard him on Today FM in the 90's. AA Roadwatch firstly, and then on separate programmes, like Eamon Dunphy and Sam Smyth.

He's been on air far longer than a decade. As far as I know he was one of the first AA broadcasters on air in the early 90's, then, as you pointed out, he went on to contribute to Today FM's current affairs output before regularly broadcasting on other stations.
    Who the fook is he?? ...

turns out he is good mates with a researcher on the PK shoe Jonathan sommat.
    Penny drops....

I don't really think it's a conspiracy that he's managed to contribute to the Pat Kenny show without you being personally familiar with his previous work, FB.

As enjoyable as it would be to don the tinfoil hat and shout "conspiracy!" all the time, sometimes people actually get gigs they've worked towards, are able to perform, and are entitled to have.

I dont want to appear smart, but just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean it's a big ol cartel organised specifically to hire their mates to píss you off.

(as for asking What is his background and what does he do to earn a crust??? , What happened to

Investigate typing "Ian mcKeever Radio" into google. It's very helpful. :) )

He's been on air far longer than a decade. As far as I know he was one of the first AA broadcasters on air in the early 90's, then, as you pointed out, he went on to contribute to Today FM's current affairs output before regularly broadcasting on other stations.

I don't really think it's a conspiracy that he's managed to contribute to the Pat Kenny show without you being personally familiar with his previous work, FB.

As enjoyable as it would be to don the tinfoil hat and shout "conspiracy!" all the time, sometimes people actually get gigs they've worked towards, are able to perform, and are entitled to have.

I dont want to appear smart, but just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean it's a big ol cartel organised specifically to hire their mates to píss you off.

(as for asking What is his background and what does he do to earn a crust??? , What happened to

Investigate typing "Ian mcKeever Radio" into google. It's very helpful. :) )

Aaah now steady up, Flutther isn't pissed off or suggesting conspiracy.

just pleased that a little connundrum was sorted,and anxious to share the news.
    Now typing in Ian Mckeever radio into Google would be helpful I'm sure but I wanted the INSIDE news from the experts here.
    There are experts here:eek:
    With regard to getting gigs they have worked to, I like to get the 'angle' theres always an angle.

So that's the reason I posted in a deliberately self depreciating manner.

Not angry at all

peace and love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

There are experts here:eek:

That's a dirty lie. :D

• Advertisement

Public relations lecturer??? Where??

What's that.. motivational speaker.

Had a few of those dudes in my company, zero motivation:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.personallyspeaking.ie/ian_mckeever_106.html

He's part of cabel of after-dinner speakers! :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

F.B does it say anything about being a Jonah?
    I too have only associated him with adventure stories (bit of the Dawson Stelfox about him). But more than that: FAILED adventures. The gigs I've noticed him on he has become like the George Lee of The Adventure Scouts.

A chancer:eek:

Christ Almighty strike me down for even thinking that.

It gets worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I don't understand this post. A seasoned broadcaster (as mentioned before... AA Roadwatch, Today FM, Dublin's Country) mixes charity work/sporting endeavour with reporting on similar type charity work/sporting endeavour.

The issue is?

It's all very well to say you were being self-deprecating and all that bull, but to start your post with a mysterious "learned something new today" and then launch into the verbal diarrhoea above..... do you have a gripe against the guy, or just a general chip on the shoulder?

• Advertisement

djsupreme wrote: »
    I don't understand this post. A seasoned broadcaster (as mentioned before... AA Roadwatch, Today FM, Dublin's Country) mixes charity work/sporting endeavour with reporting on similar type charity work/sporting endeavour.

The issue is?

It's all very well to say you were being self-deprecating and all that bull, but to start your post with a mysterious "learned something new today" and then launch into the verbal diarrhoea above..... do you have a gripe against the guy, or just a general chip on the shoulder?

The issue is, well it was for me, is how does this guy get almost unfettered access to the Pat Kenny show for activities not generally covered by that show and in my opinion deviating from the general timbre of the show,and most definitely not of major public interest.

That was the issue for me.

Is there something wrong with wondering what was the reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

That's a fair enough question. It wasn't clear from earlier posts. Two points I would make on that...

Do you listen to the show a lot? I may be wrong, but I would have thought that of any of the radio stations, Radio 1 seems to be the most supportive and give the most coverage to these type of sporting endeavours. They bore the t*ts off me, but seem to be constantly covered by RTE TV News, etc.

This may sound wrong, but having worked in talk radio for a number of years.... if someone has a connection/friendship/etc with a member of production staff on a radio show, tv show, or print media.... generally the staff member will try their best to get the some coverage. It's not right, but it is human nature, and doesn't it happen in every industry? The question is - should a public service broadcaster be very strict in clamping down on this?

That's a fair enough question. It wasn't clear from earlier posts. Two points I would make on that...

Do you listen to the show a lot? I may be wrong, but I would have thought that of any of the radio stations, Radio 1 seems to be the most supportive and give the most coverage to these type of sporting endeavours. They bore the t*ts off me, but seem to be constantly covered by RTE TV News, etc.

This may sound wrong, but having worked in talk radio for a number of years.... if someone has a connection/friendship/etc with a member of production staff on a radio show, tv show, or print media.... generally the staff member will try their best to get the some coverage. It's not right, but it is human nature, and doesn't it happen in every industry? The question is - should a public service broadcaster be very strict in clamping down on this?

I do listen to the show a lot and bearing that in mind, in my opinion, Mr Kenny is extremely professional in not 'pimping' outside interests or allowing what are generally referred to as 'liggers' gain any access to his show,unlike most others unfortunately.
    I always admired him for this, and hence, when Mr McKeever sprung up at regular intervals, and seemingly incongruous to the general pattern of the show, naturally I sniffed the air.
    What the fook is going on here, is basically what I said to myself.

Where's the angle.

And I found out:D No google, no fcuk all.

In my opinion as a license payer a PSB should be ruthless in clamping down on this,absolutely ruthless.
    In fairness to the advertisers who have to pay through the hole for the privilege.

Its common sense, common commercial sense.

peace and love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Didn't Ian McKeever climb Everest a couple of years ago and write a book on it? Apparently he'd be described as an "adventurer". As to why he's on RTÉ i don't know, but he is qualified IMO to talk about the items he discusses on PK show.

I mean, how many people do you know who have climbed Everest? I don't listen to PK, but I'm gladding to hear that they're willing to discuss things that aren't depressing!

mcscrub wrote: »
    Didn't Ian McKeever climb Everest a couple of years ago and write a book on it? Apparently he'd be described as an "adventurer". As to why he's on RTÉ i don't know, but he is qualified IMO to talk about the items he discusses on PK show.

I mean, how many people do you know who have climbed Everest? I don't listen to PK, but I'm gladding to hear that they're willing to discuss things that aren't depressing!

I would totally agree with your sentiments expressed there.
    For instance during yesterday's mountain rescue, I would have no problem with him or similar "adventurer" giving an input.

what puzzled me is that he seemed to have a regular slot on the PK show,not pertaining to any contemporaneous happening, but purely on his own
    adventures including several satellite phone interviews while en route.

Thats what got the Flutther in .... well in a bit of a flutther.

Turns out he's best mates with a senior researcher on the PK show.

No major deal, but hey level playing field and all that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

lol...

let it go flutt....let it go.

:D:D

Not easy!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

The issue is?

The Flutt is very well balanced - has a chip on BOTH shoulders.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Having not heard his contributions on the PK Show, I cannot comment directly on that. But I can say this....

I first heard Ian McKeever on Radio Ireland, as it was then, doing the AA Roadwatch. He turned up regularly doing same on The Last Word, during the Eamonn Dunphy era. In recent years, I heard him on Dublin's Country, playing MOR stuff - not pure country it has to be said. I understand that he also did some work along the way on Tipp FM. Anyway, he always sounded very professional and spoke clearly. Ian, clearly, also had a keen interest in music and it showed in his comments. I would say he would suit a station like 4FM.

As regard his sporting endeavours, I remember him talking to Eamonn Dunphy on Today FM, when they were both with the station! He was taking part in a cycle challenge for charity. That is when I first heard about this side of Ian McKeever.

Anyway, a few years ago he decided he wanted to take on a very ambitious mountaineering challenge. In preparation for this (more in a moment), the inexperienced hillwalker Ian McKeever decided to do the 26-County Challange, as you do! He climbed the highest mountains/hills in each county in the Republic of Ireland. Not only that but he broke the time record by doing them in under 100 hours.

Next up was the main challenge - the 7 Summits in Each Continent, i.e. the highest mountains in each of the 7 continents (including of course Mount Everest). Not only did Ian succeed but he claimed a new world record of 155 days - that's 32 days off the previous record!! Who said that Ian was a "failed adventurer"??

In all my years of (modest) hillwalking, I have not come close to what Ian achieved. I have done some of the 26 peaks, but not all of them in under 100 hours! Ben Nevis was the pinnacle (sorry!) of my "climbing" career, but Ian makes me feel, quite rightly, like a novice.

Ian McKeever is a true professsional in broadcasting terms and a very successful adventurer. I'm sure that must help when contributing words of wisdom to Pat Kenny's show!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Who said that Ian was a "failed adventurer"??

You may be referring to me but that's not what I meant. I've only noticed him reporting on PK's show when relaying an Irish adventure failure.

No slight on the man's ability either way. I like his reports and his manner. Damn! I like the cut of the man's jib.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I first heard Ian McKeever on Radio Ireland, as it was then, doing the AA Roadwatch. He turned up regularly doing same on The Last Word, during the Eamonn Dunphy era. In recent years, I heard him on Dublin's Country, playing MOR stuff - not pure country it has to be said. I understand that he also did some work along the way on Tipp FM. Anyway, he always sounded very professional and spoke clearly. Ian, clearly, also had a keen interest in music and it showed in his comments. I would say he would suit a station like 4FM.

Yes indeed, a jack of all trade's Dude that Pops up everywhere!
    As regard his sporting endeavours, I remember him talking to Eamonn Dunphy on Today FM, when they were both with the station! He was taking part in a cycle challenge for charity. That is when I first heard about this side of Ian McKeever.

Anyway, a few years ago he decided he wanted to take on a very ambitious mountaineering challenge. In preparation for this (more in a moment), the inexperienced hillwalker Ian McKeever decided to do the 26-County Challange, as you do! He climbed the highest mountains/hills in each county in the Republic of Ireland. Not only that but he broke the time record by doing them in under 100 hours.

I agree, and by all accounts he is akin to Superman!
    Next up was the main challenge - the 7 Summits in Each Continent, i.e. the highest mountains in each of the 7 continents (including of course Mount Everest). Not only did Ian succeed but he claimed a new world record of 155 days - that's 32 days off the previous record!! Who said that Ian was a "failed adventurer"?? .

This guy McKeever should be given 'an Irish OBE' :) or whetever he deserves, but I think what 'FlutterinBantam' is saying is > "Who is this guy McKeever" and why does he (as opposed to any other explorer/ adventurer) just appear periodically on Pat's morning Radio Show?

Exactly, that's what I wanted to know.

Now I know.

I think I can let it go now.

I've got closure:D

Advertisement