Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Download Cap

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Got an email from Digiweb support today advising me that I was about to blow my download cap and that really I needed to upgrade.

My first reaction was has someone hijacked my wireless network, as I am normally a fairly low user (rarely over 3 GB per month). Then I decided to check the usage page. Interestingly, my usage page it is not available. (Coincidence ?)

The whole thing seems like a sneaky marketing scam.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My stats page is dead, it stopped recording data at about 1 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dymonaz

Stats page is dead today (was fine yesterday around midnight).

You get an e-mail every time you go from below 24Gb to above (on 30Gb plan). The e-mail is really annoying, since it's a rolling 30d cap, which means that today I go up to 25, tomorrow I drop to 23, the day after - I go over 24 again, to receive yet another e-mail.

My suggestion - do as I do - never go below 24Gb :) Sorry, missed the 3Gb part in your post. My guess: stats broken big time, yet again...

Related thread. Mods should probably merge?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

my stats dont load as well

My stats are loading but I don't trust them - 220 mb data in the 10-11 am hour, when I was doing nothing more than browsing - no streaming and a routine (small) security Vista update

My broadband didnt work from 14 till 15.now i only get 1 mb from my 8mb connection.anyone else experiencing the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

i have broadband with digiweb, i find its to slow to download anything so i dont, and its used for about 6 hours a week. Yesterday i got the below email and my stats page isnt working. Whats goin on?

Dear customer,

Did you know that you are approaching your usage limit for your current
    broadband package? You will need to carefully manage your traffic usage in the
    coming weeks or consider upgrading to a higher package.

If you are a Metro customer you can purchase an extra 10GB traffic allowance
    for only 5.99 Euros per month by sending an email to upgrades@digiweb.ie or
    contacting our sales team on 1800 285828 (quoting your Digiweb reference
    number).

Please note that should you surpass your traffic allowance Digiweb reserve the
    right to restrict and slow down the connection to bring you back within the
    quoted limits with the speeds as set in your package returning once you are
    below 80% of your package limit over a rolling 30 day period or after you have
    purchased an upgrade.

You can view your traffic statistics via the following webpage:
    http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie

Support Team.

It got even funnier today. The stats reset (just like yesterday), but this yesterday it was only for 24h, and today my total for last week and 30d show 1.15Gb - just as 24h. The graph for today is blank up till 5pm. Here comes the interesting part: I got an e-mail at 7pm saying that I'm over the cap!

Now, for the past week I've been writing down what they tell me I'm using... At the moment I cannot possibly have more than 28.5Gb (28Gb is the number I think it is).

So, the stats show I'm at 1.15Gb, I know I'm at 28. The support has a pre-recorded message, that it's a know problem and has been resolved, yet I do feel very throttled... Going away for the weekend, so won't bother reporting it now, but this is ridiculous.

My stats were reset at some point today but even the re set number is wrong! 2.6 Gbs since lunchtime and yet the hourly chart is empty!.

Is anyone from diginet reading this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

dymonaz wrote: »
    yet I do feel very throttled... Going away for the weekend, so won't bother reporting it now, but this is ridiculous.

turn off your modem and turn it back on i have to do that everytime i go back under after i get throttled for the connection to go back to normal.

Be nice if stats just stay reset like at christmas could do with a bit more breathing room on my cap while i wait for ntl to finish upgrading my road and i can go to a cap free world.

mike65 wrote: »
    My stats were reset at some point today but even the re set number is wrong! 2.6 Gbs since lunchtime and yet the hourly chart is empty!.

Same here. However the number they're showing at 5pm is roughly what it would've been for all day. Same happened yesterday.

• Advertisement

my cap is showin 678 mb but i got an email that i exceeded my 30 gb limit and now my speed is only 120 kb out of 8 mb.WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Hi all,

I was about to search for a similar topic when I saw this recent thread. I have digiweb for 3 years. This evening I got an email saying I had exceeded my 30GB limit and that my connection speed will now be reduced. I've never received an email like this before so I'm confused as to what it means to me. I don't think I've downloaded any more than normal. I use the net a lot as do my housemates but even still, our combined usage would still be much the same as usual months. My digiweb subscription speed was lower in the past when I've had housemates that downloaded huge amounts and even then, I never received an email.

Can anyone explain the issues and implications to me in simple terms?

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I had to leave digiweb. Back when I was with them I never even had a page to check stats. I was throttled for going over the cap and took me ages to get them to reset my router and get me back up to speed.

Had I have known I could just reset the router i'd have done so myself.

Plus a rolling 30 day cap is the biggest pain in the arse and digiweb in my opinion should be shot from a cannon for having such a system in place. It is in my opinion the most unfair system when it comes to capping usage and shouldn't be allowed. Pretty much meant if I went over I couldn't use the internet properly for days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My stats page is down too. really justifying the still recent price increase then :P

Eglinton wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the issues and implications to me in simple terms?

Digiweb are having another of thier occasional "stats" issues and as such I think you can safely ignore any e-mails.*

*don't blame me if they throttle you!

edit - I just checked mine again - now the monthly chart is blank! :p

I'm not too sure exactly what this means but this is a screenshot of my usage. I assume the zeros for 7 days and 30 days mean I haven't downloaded anything? (which is impossible). How can I have exceed my cap in that timeframe. My internet speed is very lsow at the moment.

Five minutes later, the same stats page is giving me completely different results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats why Eglinton, do not trust their stats, do your own stats!

I was caught out before due to their stat errors and carried on downloading and paid an unjustified price in throttled speed for about a week.

Its a rolling 30day limit so your total usage limit will reduce until such time you've trafficked less that 30gig point in the last 30days. Your internet connection i think goes to 128kbit(mine was this in early '08, someone more recent could give you updated throttle speed)

Tonight my stats page is giving this without ever rebooting today as it worked earlier ok:
    Unfortunately the system is unable to verify your identify. If you are a metro customer please enter your site code and mac address. If you are using DSL or Wireless connection please enter your site code and username. Then click on the submit button to obtain your traffic statistics.
    Site code [?]
    Mac address or username[?]

Previous thread of imaginary stats http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055482616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I seem to be rate limited as of this afternoon, despite having been away for the last week, and thus no usage for that period. Ths stats page tells me I've downloaded 30k in the last 30 days - my cap is 30G...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Obviously an issue on their side, my stats are funny as well; I will try and contact them but i think we can assume they know about it and we'll get an email soon :D

• Advertisement

Just called Digiweb Technical Support. They had an automatic message to say that their system had a fault as of Feb 12th (yesterday) and some customers may have incorrectly received an email saying their Cap had been exceeded. Their engineers are working on it as the highest priority. They also stated that their stats page is no longer working.

I assume when I go home this evening that my download speeds will be fine again? I did a rough calculation and I reckon my usage over the last month was between 7 and 10 Gb max. Certainly not 30Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Disclosure - I work in Digiweb (in the hosting / datacentre end of things).

I've spoken to the guys in the broadband end of the business about this. The situation is that the traffic management system is a bit screwed and needs some work today and next week to make it better.

Until that's done, we're not going to cap anyone. Its not fair to penalise any users if our systems aren't working the way they ought to. We're making the changes to prevent capping today, hopefully.

However, the system that counts traffic is working just fine :) So while we won't implement any capping until everything is fine, we're still keeping an eye on traffic levels and if caps are exceeded during this period, you might get capped when the systems are fixed.

Someone (me or someone else) will post an update next week. Feel free to send me a PM but bare in mind that I really know nothing about how the broadband stuff works :) Thanks for being patient with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

It looks like I've been capped also even though last time I checked I was below 20gb (limit 30gb) and I know I haven't done much in the last week. Last night I was on briefly and I could not get above 16k download speed, same today. I also got a mail saying I was reaching my limit. :(

This is a bit annoying as it looks like I'm stuck with this for tonight and I always surf up on friday night with youtube and poker games and CSS and beers, looks like it could be quiet night in with herself so..... :rolleyes:

EDIT: RESULT! Got off my lazy ass and actually rang Digiweb and after a 15min wait in the queue got through to a guy who resolved the issue in 2 mins. Good on Digiweb for good tech support!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yup, had to ring support to get un-capped.

Mu traffic total is now 98.6mb, it was 28.7gb yesterday and should be that now. I do know not to got on a download frenzy though :)

Bump, anyone had any furthur probs?

My daily usage is being correctly recorded as far as I can tell apart from "day one" after the glitch.

I now use an independent data counter - bitmeter, as mentioned in another thread.

I was away for the weekend so wasn't using it really since Thursday. It seemed pretty slow at times last night though. I was surfing and it seemed to vary between normal and slow. I checked the stats page late last night. There was about 200Mb of usage on Saturday when I wasn't there so I must check with my housemate to see if they were using it. I doubt they used that much though. I don't think they're into downloading but I could be wrong.

Even if both of us were downloading large files daily (which we're not) we still couldn't really be over the cap. I would definitely use it the most and I doubt I've ever hit half the cap. Must start recording usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Eglinton wrote: »
    I was away for the weekend so wasn't using it really since Thursday. It seemed pretty slow at times last night though. I was surfing and it seemed to vary between normal and slow. I checked the stats page late last night. There was about 200Mb of usage on Saturday when I wasn't there so I must check with my housemate to see if they were using it. I doubt they used that much though. I don't think they're into downloading but I could be wrong.

Even if both of us were downloading large files daily (which we're not) we still couldn't really be over the cap. I would definitely use it the most and I doubt I've ever hit half the cap. Must start recording usage.

200MB of usage is very very little. You could easily use that in a day juts surfing normally.

200MB of usage is very very little. You could easily use that in a day juts surfing normally.

True enough but I'm pretty sure my housemate wasn't around much of Saturday either. Will check this evening. Mostly email and facebook is all I'd say they do. You'd still have to be on almost all day long to clock up 200Mb of normal browsing.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Bump, anyone had any furthur probs?

My daily usage is being correctly recorded as far as I can tell apart from "day one" after the glitch.

I now use an independent data counter - bitmeter, as mentioned in another thread.

Yeh, its still giving me fantasy stats of a total of 170mb!

Advertisement