Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

inspiron 6400 severe lag

• 10-02-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭

my laptop i have about 1 year and its lagging like hell when i start it up it takes about 10 mins to open any program it has a few viruses in system files :mad::mad::mad: i want to reinstal windows but dont want to have to download all my drivers again that run my graphics cars and things .i got 27gbs left out of 74gbs of my memory plz someone help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are you running Vista or XP? Can you backup your files? As reinstalling the OS will format the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

im running xp and dont care about my files i just dont want to redownload all the drivers from the dell website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hannah29

You could just download the graphics driver and put it on a usb key and just reinstall windows.

Or you could spend a few days thoroughly cleaning out your computer.

I'd reinstall tbh

yeh but some guy nover the phone helped me do it last time and i dont remeber how he done it done it ina way that like formated the hdd and lost all programs but kept the ones that came with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well if you just want a fresh install and aren't worried about data you could do a factory restore http://www.ehow.com/how_2184092_perform-dell-system-restore.html should only take a few minutes

thats assuming you didn't wipe the restore partition since you got the laptop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Like Ghost Train said, you likely have a recovery partition on the machine, so this would be a good place to start.

In either case, I would recommend reinstalling windows if you think you have been infected. For most this is often the easiest and most practical way of ensuring your computer is free from malware.

In regards to finding the drivers, if you don't have a recovery partition, just goto Dell's website, download the drivers onto a USB, and you will be good to go. It seriously only takes a few minutes to reinstall drivers and this usually just involves running a setup file.

theres the problem i dont know what drivers i have and thats a comfirmation on the viruses 4 trojans in system files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

theres the problem i dont know what drivers i have and thats a comfirmation on the viruses 4 trojans in system files

Just goto the Dell support site and put in your system information. I think they even have an auto-detect option.

Once you have the right system selected, all the relevant drivers will be listed by category(video, sound, ect.)

Going to the manufacturers website should almost always be the first choice, especially for laptops. This way you do not risk getting a virus and can see all of your drivers in one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

factory restore will mean you don't have to do anything with drivers, it restores them all. And wipes the current windows installation

i found a file wi8th loads of what looks like hammers and screw drivers with e behind them and there names start with r then loads of numbers i think its all the drivers i need

• Advertisement
Advertisement