Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargains you have found in shops in Meath...

Options
  • 10-02-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Dont know about anyone else on here, but things are tough for most people at the moment and i am personally sick of driving into Blanch or city centre looking for bargains on clothes/consumer electronics/weekly food shop etc. So i would like to propose a thread (namely this one) to list off the bargains to be had in the shops around Meath.

Now, this might fall flat on its face or might actually take off... but I for one am willing to put my name to it anyways and list any bargains i see in my neck of the woods... Navan/Kells.

Good idea/bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

great idea ...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Right so... Till 13th Feb - Supervalu - Sirlion Steak prepacked half price and comes with free punnet of mushrooms and a free full net of onions.

Not bad me thinks... so i got two today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great idea, though it'd be great if we could get local businesses too, as they'd be suffering a lot more than supervalu et al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Access wrote: »
    Right so... Till 13th Feb - Supervalu - Sirlion Steak prepacked half price and comes with free punnet of mushrooms and a free full net of onions.

Not bad me thinks... so i got two today!

if you want that steak and onion offer , hurry , cause the last one, the one with the half price chickens and carrots, potatoes, only lasted two days in kells ,couldn't keep up with everybody,

sofireland wrote: »
    Great idea, though it'd be great if we could get local businesses too, as they'd be suffering a lot more than supervalu et al

True... i only started off with the supervalu one as that is what i spotted first.

Any Meath local shop owners on here willing to give us punters a decent bargain.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I'll be in Navan today, i'll report my findings! This really is a good idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Navan SC can be a bargain fest at times:

EURO 2 shop for all kinds of everything from shampoo to computer accessories

Cantech / Click, can have good offers on at times on PC's etc... About a year ago they had a Toshiba Libretto U105 with a docking station for sub EUR 500.00... pity I didn't have the cash :(

Tescos have great offers on different products from time to time

Jean Junction often have sales on mens & ladies clothes

Heatons / Sports world... Expect more pay less... plenty of bargains to be had there

Also, For Fish, there is a mobile Fishmonger operating out of a converted mini-bus in the Dunnes carpark on Fridays, much cheaper & fresher produce than the supermarkets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 montyballs

great thread........there is a very good shop a couple of doors down from the stonehouse pub on kennedy rd. sorry can't think of name right now,
    there is a big range of clothes,pot,pans,items for the car ect ect.....
    the value is very good, will get the name and post it tomorrow.

cool cool cool.... keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

Geoghans have some end of sale items in both Ladies and Gents departments. Was in there on Saturday and got afew bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

The Topaz garage on the Navan -> Slane road (near Stackallen) had unleaded petrol @ 99.9 and diesel @ 89.9 the other day, the cheapest I've seen about in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

pazza wrote: »
    The Topaz garage on the Navan -> Slane road (near Stackallen) had unleaded petrol @ 99.9 and diesel @ 89.9 the other day, the cheapest I've seen about in a long time.

That's definitely the cheapest diesel you'll have seen in quite some time, but for much of January and February all garages in Trim and most of the rest around Summerhill/Enfield/Kilcock had unleaded priced at 96.9c per litre, only went back up to 99.9 around the 20th or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

pazza wrote: »

Its now 94.9 diesel 102.9 petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hugh McGeogh's hardware in Trim is a real traditional shop, never saw the boom but probably wont be hit by the recession either. he has a wide range of stuff and he is v cheap.
    After that, Trim Hardware is pretty good value.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Its now 94.9 diesel 102.9 petrol

103.9 the other day.... now 104.9..... AAAAGGGGHHHH! its fecking starting to go up again! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Tesco doing 20 bottles of Miller 330ml €12.99 Navan & Ratoath stores only.Offer expires 15th Mar

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

How about Kells? Jim Kiernan, Paddy Duff, James Allen, Dunnes - all have very good stuff at much cheaper prices than you get closer to Dublin. I understand the stock may be morre limited, but that's because turnover is not as high, and you can't beat the personal service you get in these shops. McEntees is great for homemade bread and cakes and such. Doyles is a treasure trove for little toys and colouring books and all an anyways. The newly refurbished Super Valu is a great shop. Lucy Locketts is very popular. The streetscape on farrell street is lovely! (parking sucks however).
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Support your local shops, because when they are gone, so is the locality.

Singer73 wrote: »
    How about Kells? Jim Kiernan, Paddy Duff, James Allen, Dunnes - all have very good stuff at much cheaper prices than you get closer to Dublin. I understand the stock may be morre limited, but that's because turnover is not as high, and you can't beat the personal service you get in these shops. McEntees is great for homemade bread and cakes and such. Doyles is a treasure trove for little toys and colouring books and all an anyways. The newly refurbished Super Valu is a great shop. Lucy Locketts is very popular. The streetscape on farrell street is lovely! (parking sucks however).
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Support your local shops, because when they are gone, so is the locality.

Agree totally, but did you just say "and all an anyways"??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Just throwing in some colloquial expressions for the Dubs who have moved to Kells, but have not as yet left their houses...

103.9 the other day.... now 104.9..... AAAAGGGGHHHH! its fecking starting to go up again! :mad:

Looks like Tescos when I'm in Dublin...89.9 diesel

Also tesco's Navan have a deal now, GF Delicia pizza and a bag of spicy wedges - 2 euros!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

If any of you are around Dunboyne, there is a shop in the Ind Est beside Tile Wise ( well sign posted in the village) and its amazing !! I only found out about it a few months ago, you name it..he's got it..at dirt cheap!! bog / kitchen roll, cleaning stuff, seasional stuff...everything !! well worth the visit and open Saturday :) Gone are the days our Dunnes weekly bill would run up to over €200 cos of cleaning products !! :mad:

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Also tesco's Navan have a deal now, GF Delicia pizza and a bag of spicy wedges - 2 euros!!

Yeah... i spotted that yesterday, but i think its 2 euros each, not all together... but still a great deal.

Singer73 wrote: »
    Just throwing in some colloquial expressions for the Dubs who have moved to Kells, but have not as yet left their houses...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Self Service Car Wash in Campus (garage) on the Kentstown Road (just before you turn for Supervalu Johnstown) for €2, seems like good value!

Shifty wrote: »
    Self Service Car Wash in Campus (garage) on the Kentstown Road (just before you turn for Supervalu Johnstown) for €2, seems like good value!

You get 3 to 3.5 mins on a normal car wash for €2 but a mate of mine was there the other day and his €2 ran out after approx 60 seconds!

I remember when it was a mace shop and petrol pumps and was an absolute rip off with prices... until supervalu opened near-by and then he tried to price match for a while, but that didnt work so they closed the mace shop and opened a drive thru coffee shop and then that closed after a couple of months and now its a car wash. Fair dues to the lad that owns it for trying new business models, but when you get tagged with being a rip off in the community, it stays with you no matter what you open!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

You get 3 to 3.5 mins on a normal car wash for €2 but a mate of mine was there the other day and his €2 ran out after approx 60 seconds!

Went in today to get the car washed, €2 bought 3 minutes of time on the machine. Car wasn't too dirty: it was a 4 stage wash, managed to select and use all four stages in the 3 mins, car turned out well.

If your car is dirty, you would definitely need to put another €2 in to get the best of it.

all in all, it was worth €2

Shifty wrote: »
    all in all, it was worth €2

Ah, fair enough so.

The diesel is now 91.9 and petrol 103.9

Advertisement