Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfair pay??

Options
  • 10-02-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is it legal for a person who is in a position below me (eg, if I am a senior at a company and he is not yet) to be paid more then me? We both went for the same promotion, I got it, however, he earns more than me by a significant amount because our starting wages were different, do I have the right to request my wages are brought up to what he earns at least??? Thank you in advance for any advice at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you may have an equal pay case. If your age or gender is different for example. If the company can prove that there are grounds other than age, gender etc you will lose. Look up the Equality Tribunal website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a fuzzy one. I've worked in a couple of places where people doing lesser jobs (for want of a better phrase) earned more than their superiors. Did this person start at the same time as you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is it legal for a person who is in a position below me (eg, if I am a senior at a company and he is not yet) to be paid more then me? We both went for the same promotion, I got it, however, he earns more than me by a significant amount because our starting wages were different, do I have the right to request my wages are brought up to what he earns at least??? Thank you in advance for any advice at all
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Unfortunately you are only legally entitled to equal pay for equal work and even then any discrimination will only be unlawful if it is gender discrimination (not sure about age discrimination for equal pay but I'm open to correction).

Basically if you are doing different jobs there is no requirement for equal pay. If you are doing the same job you equal pay is only legally required if you are being discriminated against because of your gender. A firm can also pay more based on objective reasons such as length of service or qualifications.

No legal entitlements but nothing to stop you bringing it up in the office and looking for a raise (except the recession of course:))

Advertisement