Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VICTORY TO THE BOARDSIES

Options
  • 10-02-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

taken from Aertel:

O'Briens Franchisees Hold Meeting

Sixteen franchise owners of O'Briens sanwich bars meet today to discuss the future of their business given the downturn in the economy

The franchisees, who run clsoe to 50 stores between them, are seeking assistance from O'Briens in relation to rental, francise and supply costs.

Some of them claim that business is down in the order of 30%

The chairperson for the group said many shops were struggling to cover their overheads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm confused. What did Boardsies have to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Random wrote: »
    I'm confused. What did Boardsies have to do with this?

they're all in the spar buying the 1euro sambo?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe the boardsies are all shoplifting from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would like clarification on how this is a Consumer Issue and what in particular it has to do with Boards.

Otherwise I will close this thread.

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My guess is the OP thinks that some how boards.ie has caused the drop in business, frankly I don't see what there is to be happy about if people are loosing their jobs.

Pointless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dudara wrote: »
    I would like clarification on how this is a Consumer Issue and what in particular it has to do with Boards.
    Someone (most likely OP) posted a thread about O'Brian's sammies/cookies/coffee was overpriced/tasteless/small. Because of the warp disruption in the time space continium caused by the number of users on boards.ie the mind of all Irish people where informed subconsciously and they stopped shopping there; that is my best stab at it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spot on Nody.... like this post from the "O'Briens Sandwich Bars: 1 meat and 3 fillings rip off" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

wft????

how is the possibility of people in nearly 50 shops losing their job any kind of victory anywhere let alone for 'boardsies' ??????? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I would love an O Briens sandwich now, fcuk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

never said I want people to lose their jobs, but it might make them wake up and look at their business as a whole, and realise that people won't go for overpriced, mediocre quality food & poor service

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

never said I want people to lose their jobs, but it might make them wake up and look at their business as a whole, and realise that people won't go for overpriced, mediocre quality food & poor service

I still don't see how this is a victory for boards.ie or a consumer issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you want to removed the thread then, feel free to do so

if you want to removed the thread then, feel free to do so

Its not my job to, I'm just querying is all :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

To claim this as any kind of a victory is very narrowminded and misguided. Firstly, I doubt that any input from boards effected the shops mentioned. That might just have had something to do with the global recession and the fact that people are eating out less in general. Secondly, does the op not realise that jobs, even in sandwich bars, are what we need to keep us from sinking further into the recessionary mire? Its not just the Dells of this world that provide work, and create problems when they fold. Every job lost here, in any area, counts. It costs, it affects people. And to see any business fold is a tragedy, considering the amount of work and expense that will have gone into creating and sustaining it. The people laid off will become a drain instead of a benefit to the economy. Think of that the next time you hear that taxes are going up.

We are in a time period now where the economy is realigning itself, and true, only the strong and lean businesses will survive. But to salute the failures (in block capitals) as a victory for the common man is just plain naive. You fail to see that it is not just OBriens, it is a symptom of the trouble we are all in, this kind of loss has a knock on effect on everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So boards is killing the economy? For Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

A little unfair to celebrate when an Irish owned company is struggling to keep afloat in the current economic environment. I work in town and the amount of "Shop To Let" signs springing up every day is scary.

As an aside, I was in the newly opened O'Briens upstairs in the Stephens green centre today and they have really improved their offer with loads of good value sandwiches on their menu. I enquired about the new items to the girl behind the counter (because I couldn't find my usual) and she told me that they are trialling the new items there and that they have been a huge success so they would be rolled out to all O'Briens cafe's soon.
    I went for a Ham & Cheese toasty and soup in the end which came in at just over a fiver.
    Good value if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I would like to step forward and fess-up to say that this is the culmination of the secret one-man campaign I've been fighting in the name of Boards.ie against sixteen O'Briens branches specifically. Every day since my complaint to O'Briens of Dundrum (see my previous post on the topic) I've fought off the urge to get a sandwich and I've fought off the urge to get it in O'Briens. Now we can all rejoice and reap the rewards of this precious victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed as it is baffling me how it relates to Consumer Issues and Boards.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

not closed yet?

dudara is your lock stuck?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement