Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Issue

Options
  • 10-02-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi

problem I've encountered moving a buddies components into a new case for him

The PSU that he has has only one molex, and one PCIe power socket.

His GPU is a 9600GT but the PCIe power socket won't reach the card as it's now out of reach in the new case.

I had a Molex to PCIe power socket adator so i connected this to the graphics card.

The PC posts but doesn't pick up the graphics card, i switched the monitor lead to the motherboards onboard graphics and it displays fine.

The fan is spinning on the 9600 but is it possible the PSU isnt able to push the right power to the molex.

If you can help I'd appreciate it, want to save him the cost of a new PSU which he may need.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You need to connect 2 molex connectors to the PCIe power adaptor for it to work properly, cant see any way around that :(. Why does the PSU only have a molex connector btw? Does it have many SATA connectors? You can get SATA->Molex power adaptors if you have spare SATA power plugs

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Its a ****ty ACER oem maching.

Yes there are some spare SATA power connectors.

Maybe I need to get him to get a new PSU, as he want to add more fans etc

Thanks for the quick reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

WillieDH wrote: »
    Its a ****ty ACER oem maching.

Yes there are some spare SATA power connectors.

Maybe I need to get him to get a new PSU, as he want to add more fans etc

Thanks for the quick reply

Yeah OEM machines tend to have components which are cut down and only have what the pc needs to function leaving no room for exapandibility, A new PSU probably wouldnt be a bad choice tbh, a decent brand 400W+ PSU would be more than adaquate for that pc I would think

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First of all, check what the PSU is. It might be OK, the last time I bought a pre-built machine on special offer, I was surprised to find it came with a high quality FSP Power supply. It was only 200w but it powered an old power hungry Pentium D and 8600GT without any issues. If the supply is decent, it should support something like a 9600GT without issue. How big is the case? It must be quite big if the 6-pin can't reach the card.....Just get a 6-pin extension cable, it will cost a few dollars at most. Assuming the PSU is OK. If not, this is a top quality one that would run pretty much any card on the market, let alone a 9600GT. And it's very quiet/efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Thanks lads, got a 450w PSU for him today and all is ok.

Yes it's a mATX , motherboard in a full size tower.

God the OEM vendors really do ship cheap **** !!!!

One molex :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement