Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New album from The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

It's a bit of a disappointment overall. It's a return to their older style which I like but there aren't really any outstanding tracks on the album. Most are fairly decent but there's nothing amazing here. No Firestarters or Voodoo Peoples, which is a shame. I would say Omen and Warrior's Dance are probably the strongest tracks.

Anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I thought Omen was an old, lesser known track of theirs when I heard it. They really appear to be going back to their roots - on that song anyway. A bit generic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

They are playing the Roseland ballroom in NY on March 26th and given I'll be there at the time, i thought Id buy a ticket online and go.However, I baulked at the $125 price for a ticket. I mean, $125?!Forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

ive listened to it now a few times.. overall, i think it's the strongest album since FOTL. mostly gone are the strong electro-punk **** that filled AONO, and its obvious a bit more imagination has gone into this album.

Invaders Must Die-
    Can't say I like it much. It's a bit too Pendulum/Spitfirey but without the imagination. Not much to say about it tbh..theres just not much innovation in it. 4/10

Omen-
    Pretty good...my gripe with it is I feel the xylophone creepy sound effect could be used a bit more. The bass during that bit is unbeliievable on a big system, and more of a buildup could have been used to make the song a bit more epic. Still, one of the stronger tracks on the album! 6.5/10

Thunder-
    I like this. A good mix of old-school sampling with modern bassline! Can see this being a staple of their live shows for a while. The bassdrop is unbelievable! Unmistakable Prodigy... 7/10

Colours-
    Don't see the point of this. Very very Always Outnumbered... Just feels cheesy and like a filler track... "Bring your colours to the floor"...nah.. just not feeling it. 3/10

Take Me To The Hospital-
    Well...aggressive enough anyway! One of the tracks on the album that if you didnt know who it was by, you'd just go "Yep..Prodigy". The old-school vocal works well with Flints aggressive "Along came a spider..." An enjoyable track!
    6/10

Warriors Dance-
    My favourite track on the album. The eastern sounding vocal (which is taken from Haji & Emmanuel-Take Me Away) is remiscent of No Good (Start The Dance) but with more of a reward. The biggest, baddest standout track, which matches the best of The Prodigy to date. 9.5/10

Run With The Wolves-
    Punky Drum & Bass? Yep...and I like it. Keith Flint sounds in his element in this.. Its more of a good album track than a good live track, but it got me bopping. "What ya gonna do when the hounds are calling?"...good stuff 6/10

Omen Reprise-
    Pretty cool.. Just a bit of a break from the frenetic pace so far. Can see this being used as part of the intro at a live show before actually performing Omen. Just an interesting interlude.. Can't really be graded as an individual track.

Worlds On Fire-
    Imagine One Love...somehow amalgamated with Breathe. Thats what this reminds me off. The best of Experience with the best of Fat of the Land in one track. I love the sample "You're so special...why arent you dead?" and the "ahahahahahahah" bit.. Another standout track. 7/10

Piranha-
    Similar to Run with the Wolves I think. Decent and aggressive but not ground-breaking. Not much else to say about this really...5/10

Stand Up-
    Very different. I've seen another review saying it was FatBoy Slim circa 1996 style. I agree. Much slower tempo, but with that big-beat, feel good vibe. A difficult song to describe, but an enjoyable track! 7/10

Overall, I rate this album, and will be purchasing the two disc special edition which includes the 'Lost Beats EP'. This will include "The Big Gundown", which is 'Comache' renamed, and one I'm particularly looking forward to. "Fighter Beat" will also be included, which is 'Dead Ken Beats', a staple of their live show, finally included as a studio recording. Black Smoke & Disko Punks, which I know NOTHING about. A return to form for the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

There playing in cork soon enough i think :):):)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Had been in two minds about buying this but have to really! I would only continue to wonder otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Heard the single and was very, very disappointed. But then again AONO was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Not a fan of Invaders Must Die (the song) but just downloaded the album there and I must say Warrior's Dance is a cracking song. Haven't listened much to the rest of the album though, here's hoping it's as good.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

John wrote: »
    Heard the single and was very, very disappointed. But then again AONO was atrocious.

Yeah that was a shockingly bad album. Wasn't mad on the previous one either, the first and second are what it was all about for me anyway. Experience and MFTJG were really great albums and have huge memories for me from when they both originally came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Hmmm... Think I'm going to download it from Itunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah that was a shockingly bad album. Wasn't mad on the previous one either, the first and second are what it was all about for me anyway. Experience and MFTJG were really great albums and have huge memories for me from when they both originally came out.

:eek: Fat of the Land is a classic, clean your ears out and listen again! (but defo agree about the first two)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

Im a bit dissapointed too.They are one of my favourite acts so maybe i was expecting greater things.

Warriors dance is deadly and a couple of others, but some verge on unlistenable, way to Pendullum-y. Colours sounds like it didnt make it onto 'always outnumbered' but was thrown into this album to make up the numbers

That said, it sounds like it could be better live so shall wait and see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rufus82

Good news for those die-hard fans (like me) who cannot wait for the album, but do want to support the band by buying the CD -- xtra-vision at Baggot Street Dublin already has it on the shelves as of today, Sat 21 Feb.

I've just bought it myself, but have to say I don't expect much. (This way, I can only be surprised in a good way:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

I preordered the album from their website months ago and was lucky enough to get a signed double 12" by all three of 'em, deadly!

Just back from a weekend in London, saw them in Wembley Arena on Friday night and then Brixton Academy on Saturday night... both shows were excellent, especially with Brixton gig cuz it was a smaller more "intimate" venue, etc. Was even lucky enough to hear Jericho, Rhythm of Life and No Good in the set. Out of Space too, but we knew that was coming...

The way I look at it, there's fans from the Experience days - and they'll probably love this album. Then the fans that started listening when FOTL came out... so they're looking for more punkish sounding stuff. I always preferred them for their hardcore techno sound so I really, really appreciate this new album - it's like they're back on form after the AONO mess. In fairness I wasn't even super impressed with FOTL that much because I was hoping for more stuff like on Experience and MFTJG.

Anyway- wicked album, the only tune I'm not all that bothered by is Thunder - everything else is pure class IMHO.

I think I'll be getting tickets for Cork soon enough...!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Could have been made 10 years ago and still been called unimaginative. It's not that it's bad, it just isn't interesting. Very generic. Thumbs down from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Anyone heading up north to see them this summer? 35 pound hard to resist.

Advertisement