Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor treatment from moderators

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi

So I got banned on adverts for what was on my part an honest mistake. Now hands up I did break the rules but it was minor and one infraction in nearly 3 years on here.

Check out the response I got when I asked for the ban to be lifted:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485112

I'm so angry I could punch something.

Anyway I expect this to be deleted and I expect to be banned for some random reason.

All I can say is don't bother asking any of the Mods to help you out on here. All they care about is the power and status that comes with being a moderator on Boards......

Anyway rant over.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hi

So I got banned on adverts for what was on my part an honest mistake. Now hands up I did break the rules but it was minor and one infraction in nearly 3 years on here.
    But you broke the rules, which you shouldn't have because you need to become familiar with the rules - and you're here long enough to do that.
    Anyway I expect this to be deleted and I expect to be banned for some random reason.
    Why do you expect it to be deleted? It may get moved to Help Desk or locked if it's deemed there's no point in continuing it, but it's not going to be "airbrushed from history".
    All I can say is don't bother asking any of the Mods to help you out on here.
    Look, as someone who moderates a forum here, I can tell you that's crap. I'd be more than happy to help someone out. Be a bit less eager to tar all moderators with one brush.
    All they care about is the power and status that comes with being a moderator on Boards
    Bullsh1t. What is this power and status you speak of? I'm not aware of any, and if I felt I had power and status, it would be rather sad of me. There is just this perception that moderators feel a sense of superiority. If this is the case, then they'd want to get a life.
    Arguing on-thread is breaking the rules and it's really annoying for a moderator. I've also been banned for it. It's only two weeks, not a permaban. You were also abusive on the thread and showed more than a bit of attitude, which you're still showing. Hardly helpful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont see anything wrong with the way Alan Dunne 27 handled that situation. And Muffler explained Adverts policy:
    muffler wrote: »
    Everyone and I mean everyone who is caught breaking the rules in this type of situation gets a mandatory 2 week ban. There are no mitigating circumstances.

Its only after you became disatisfied with the responses you got (and started mouthing off) that the moderators both lost patience for you.

In this situation don't you feel you have treated both Moderators unfairly?
    For feck's sake. I have been an active member of boards for nearly 3 years and 1 infraction and it's all "people like you" bullsh*t!!!! I read the rules - 3 years ago!

I cannot believe what a pack off asses you folks are. Christ, All I did was ask for a bit of lenience on a ban that I thought was unfair and instead of even meeting my halfway it's all about getting digs in and snide comments.

Good on ya fellas.
    Also, rules are subject change. As a user you agreed to abide by the rules and agreed that your account was and is at the mercy of the website upon creation.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason & and to suspend or ban any user account for any reason.

Do read the Forum Stickies before you post in each forum, they contain important information, posting guidelines and forum specific rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm so angry I could punch something.

In my opinion, if this is true, you need to step away from the web and calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is the Last Angry Man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

What i dont understand is why the Feedback forum is seen by the mods as a place to tell anyone with feedback to go f*ck themselves.

Could ye not just say ok, we will take it under advisement or maybe step in and pm the user asking 'what do you recommend?' instead of covering each others ar$es the whole time then ganging up and cracking jokes.

Its a very good site, there is no doubt about that, but its not perfect.
    Should an alternative to boards start up you will wish you took feedback more seriously I reckon.

• Advertisement

Again, no point in tarring all moderators with one brush. I agree there can be a level of ganging up on Feedback, but only by certain people (some of them mods, some of them not mods).
    Some moderators may tell the OP they think they're in the wrong - but only because that's how they genuinely feel, not out of a sense of "duty" to Boards or to "go along with" other moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Why doesn't adverts.ie have it's own feedback area ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

instead of covering each others ar$es the whole time then ganging up and cracking jokes.

you've obviously never been in a good circle jerk ;)

theres barely anything in the original arguement and it seemed to have solved itself rationally. i dont really see the need for a 2 week ban, maybe a yellow card or a warning.
    has last angry man already received any warnings or broken any rules before? seems pretty harsh for a non-incident (which featured superficial by-the-letter rulebreaking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Yes it does.

Anyway;

1. Alan Dunne was right.

2. This isn't for here.

3. This semi partition and implied superiority of boards to adverts (in terms of seniority and feedback, is a balls.)

4. Alan Dunne was right.

5. Suck it up.

5(a). This illustrates why adverts is shagged in terms of being a bulletin based medium (people think they can chat away, and they think they're still on boards-hard to blame them really...)

6. This isn't for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dudess wrote: »
    Again, no point in tarring all moderators with one brush. I agree there can be a level of ganging up on Feedback, but only by certain people (some of them mods, some of them not mods).
    Some moderators may tell the OP they think they're in the wrong - but only because that's how they genuinely feel, not out of a sense of "duty" to Boards or to "go along with" other moderators.

Dudess I realise that not all mods do this, i have seen some very brave posts by mods over the last while standing up against the majority. However the sentiment is always ignored or stomped on by the usual crowd of 'the problem is not with boards, its with you' crowd.

You yourself have always been very open minded and reasonable but you are one of the few who post on feedback who dont add weight to the scales when its already full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    I've a feeling that point will be argued because there is a perception that moderators ban for personal reasons and because of posters disagreeing with them. Not true - really, really not.
    Believe me, if I thought you'd been treated unfairly, I would have no qualms whatsoever about saying so. Neither would others, I'm sure.
    RoundyMooney, a former moderator (including of Adverts.ie), certainly would have - yet here, he concedes that the OP deserved to be reprimanded. Worth bearing in mind OP.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are too many rules in adverts because the software does not support what we want it to do. We're looking at that now for a medium term solution.

Angry Man, your ban is fine, next time stay out of it and report any posts you think are unfair rather then "handling" them yourself.

Sorry, I understand it was a mistake on your part but those are the rules and they apply to everyone evenly.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement